Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

are Lexus engines EXACTLY the same as Toyota engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 09:16 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, one has a L badge and the other has a Toyota badge. so technically, no .

on a serious note, I doubt they're EXACTLY the same.

I hope you're not asking this to save a dollar or two.
Old 05-27-09, 10:01 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea u guys missed the whole UZ series .
Old 05-27-09, 11:06 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by syswei
For instance, is the 5.7L in the LX exactly the same as the 5.7L in the Land Cruiser? Is the 3.5 in the ES exactly the same as the 3.5 in the Camry XLE V6? I'm wondering because Lexus tends to specify premium gas, while Toyota tends to specify regular gas. Is the premium really needed, if it regular is good enough on the Toyota side?
In some cases Toyota and Lexus engines are identical.

The LX and Land Cruiser use the same engine from the same engine assembly plant using the same parts source in Japan. These LX/LC engines while the same in design would technically not be EXACTLY the same as the 5.7 used in the Tundra and Sequoia which are built in Alabama using American sourced part.

I am not sure if the Camry is built in the same plant as the ES but if they are it is possible that the engines installed in the Camry are coming down the line right after the engine was installed the Lexus.

I guess you would have to work for Toyota to know for sure.

Last edited by pagemaster; 05-27-09 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 11:15 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The IS, GS, and LS have higher compression, direct injection engines that truly require premium fuel.
The 2GR-FSE used in the IS/GS 350 does not require premium...it is only recommended. The funny thing is that the IS 250 actual requires premium, or engine damage will occur.
Old 05-28-09, 07:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

On my GS350 manual, it states 91 octane is require, not recommanded.
Old 05-28-09, 08:08 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivanz
The 2GR-FSE used in the IS/GS 350 does not require premium...it is only recommended. The funny thing is that the IS 250 actual requires premium, or engine damage will occur.
See G Man's post. The IS350 and GS350 both require premium.
Old 05-28-09, 08:32 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I hope you're not asking this to save a dollar or two.
Initially, I was very curious about the oft-repeated claim that higher octane gas yields better mpg. I thought one way to to answer this would be to look at EPA estimates for similar cars that use different gas, such as the LX and TLC, or the ES and Camry XLE V6. Then I started wondering, if the engine is the same and Toyota is saying 87 octane, why not use the same octane in a Lexus, since it looks like there actually isn't an mpg impact? And yes it would be to save .30/gal...had I been using regular rather than premium in my LX470 (now at 128,000 miles), the savings would have been around $2500. If I replace the LX470 with a LX570, then from what others have posted here, maybe it would be safe to use regular. If I replace it with a RX450h, probably not so safe.
Old 05-28-09, 08:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a durability standpoint I've never seen any difference between similar engines used in Toyota and Lexus models. If anything is different mechanically it'll be the addition of more advanced valve timing and/or direct injection. The sort of tack-on components that add power and/or mileage at an extra cost they decided was justifiable on the more expensive models.

Historically the Lexus engines have made a little more power due to a higher compression ratio or more aggressive default spark timing... both which require fuel that combusts less readily, or in other words, is higher in octane.

With most of those engines you could run regular octane with only a small reduction in horsepower and mileage (not nearly enough to erase the savings) and no change in engine reliability.

With other cars running regular would be a pretty bad idea. I'd never try it on my 335i. The engine wouldn't blow up on the stock tune, but the power and mileage reduction would be much more severe. Forced induction vehicles in general don't tend to deal well with regular gasoline and it's harder for the ECU to compensate... especially on supercharged vehicles that have boost levs controlled by a pulley rather than a computer.
Old 05-28-09, 08:49 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

No, it definitely is not recommended using regular 87 octane in the new RX, or in the RX450h.

Even though the engine is a 2GR-FE, it is different than all the other 2GR-FE engines in other Toyota vehicles. It has redesigned cylinder heads, as well as intake and exhaust manifolds. That allows it to make more power and torque while achieving better fuel efficiency.

Engine code alone does not differentiate the engines enough. Just like with Nissan, the VQ35DE is an engine used in many Nissan vehicles, but many parts of the engine have been redesigned over the years, so not all VQ35DE engines are the same.
Old 05-28-09, 09:46 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
If anything is different mechanically it'll be the addition of more advanced valve timing and/or direct injection. The sort of tack-on components that add power and/or mileage at an extra cost they decided was justifiable on the more expensive models.
Hi Threxx, this is not always the case. VVTi debuted on the Tundra/Sequoia/4runner/GX engines before the technology found its way into the Lexus 470/LC which was a year later.

Also, dual VVTi was first introduced on the 2005 Toyota Avalon.

More recently, the 4.6 Tundra will bring to make a new emission/MPG saving feature called exhaust gas recirculation type feature.
Old 05-28-09, 09:48 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by syswei
If I replace the LX470 with a LX570, then from what others have posted here, maybe it would be safe to use regular. .
I believe the LX570 states premium fuel required on the gas door. This would also be the case in the FJ Cruiser I believe.

Last edited by pagemaster; 05-28-09 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-28-09, 09:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Hi Threxx, this is not always the case. VVTi debuted on the Tundra/Sequoia/4runner/GX engines before the technology found its way into the Lexus 470/LC which was a year later.

Also, dual VVTi was first introduced on the 2005 Toyota Avalon.

More recently, the 4.6 Tundra will bring to make a new emission/MPG saving feature called exhaust gas recirculation type feature.

Interesting. I guess there's always exceptions to the norm. I didn't realize that the LX didn't get VVTi the same year as the 4runner did. I know exactly when the 4runner got it because we were waiting to order ours until they started building the 05s so we could get VVTi. And then the Toyota dealer ended up screwing up our order and getting us a V6 anyway.
Old 05-28-09, 10:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

On a couple of their engines (the new V8 is one), Hyundai is publishing the hp ratings when using either regular or premium fuel.
Old 05-28-09, 10:59 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Interesting. I guess there's always exceptions to the norm. I didn't realize that the LX didn't get VVTi the same year as the 4runner did. I know exactly when the 4runner got it because we were waiting to order ours until they started building the 05s so we could get VVTi. :
Yes the 05 LX/LC was non vvti 4.7. The 06-07 LX/LC models for North America and some overseas markets recieved the 4.7 with VVTi. In Australia/New Zealand the Land Cruiser was non VVTi right up until the 200 series redesign which finally adopted VVTi for the first time.

And then the Toyota dealer ended up screwing up our order and getting us a V6 anyway.:egads
So you guys accepted the mistake?
Old 05-28-09, 11:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
So you guys accepted the mistake?
They were friends of the family and were already hooking us up very well on the deal. Because of their mistake they ended up hooking us up on the transaction price even more and giving us a bunch of freebies. We could have made a stand but didn't want to hurt the friendship and felt the deal was good enough to accept the downgrade.

It might have been kind of hard for them to sell the 4runners (we bought two at the same time... one for my wife and one for her sister, identical except in exterior color... both were ordered with the wrong engine) at a dealership because they had some non-standard option combinations such as a lack of a sunroof which as far as I know is unheard of on a limited model 4runner.