Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 11:44 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Thumbnails GM bankruptcy-chevy-volt_1.jpg  
Old 05-28-09, 11:45 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails GM bankruptcy-2009-chevy-corvette-z06-3.jpg  
Old 05-28-09, 11:46 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails GM bankruptcy-1-chevy-malibu-profile-ssi.jpg  
Old 05-28-09, 11:48 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails GM bankruptcy-0706dp_05_z-2008_cadillac_cts_v6_diesel-steering_interior.jpg  
Old 05-28-09, 12:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I will never even consider a GM car anymore on my principles as a taxpayer
Old 05-28-09, 12:27 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

JLSC4, it is not GM's lineup thats the problem, it is their reputation. The bankruptcy will just make their reputation worst. Lexus spent the last 20 years and billions of dollar on their reputation to get to where they are now. GM will need at least 10 years to recover from this mess. Even then, they will only be in the middle of the pack after that. Their days of being the top 3 auto maker is over.

Last edited by The G Man; 05-28-09 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-28-09, 12:36 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I will never even consider a GM car anymore on my principles as a taxpayer
+1
Old 05-28-09, 12:46 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest I suspect some people who say they will never consider a GM vehicle because of the bailout were already predisposed to not buying a GM vehicle, and are just using this as an opportunity to add one more reason to their list and to rag on GM. In other words many of the people with the threats are the ones GM probably wasn't going to get as a customer anyway.
Old 05-28-09, 12:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
JLSC4, it is not GM's lineup thats the problem, it is their reputation...
That was exactly my point.

Reputation is actually job one for an automaker. Automakers with very strong reps can sell even mediocre cars. It's because, as you pointed out, that it takes years to earn that reputation. GM has a 25 year negative reputation and it doesn't matter that they're building top of the class cars as I pictured earlier.

Hell, Buick is matching or beating LEXUS in initial quality but it doesn't matter. Oh well.
Old 05-28-09, 01:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Thing to remember is that GM went to the Government for a LOAN not a free bailout. Reason being is because traditional lines of credit were not available during the banking crisis.

I don't think it's right to spite GM forever because they needed a loan after the WHOLE auto industry suddenly plunged around 35% on average

If anyone with a business here suddenly had their sales plunge that much at no fault of their own, would everything be fine and dandy?
Old 05-28-09, 01:08 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4

Stillborn...I don't think the Chevy Volt will make it to market...even if it did it would be selling at a loss and that's an even bigger reason not to sell it. Government Motors is dead...
Old 05-28-09, 01:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
To be honest I suspect some people who say they will never consider a GM vehicle because of the bailout were already predisposed to not buying a GM vehicle, and are just using this as an opportunity to add one more reason to their list and to rag on GM. In other words many of the people with the threats are the ones GM probably wasn't going to get as a customer anyway.
Great point.

I mean if we go to "principles" none of us should buy German or Japanese cars considering the war, if you want to go there.

I don't see anyone having "principles" when Mercedes boned Chrysler, took all their money and left them for dead. I guess though thats capitalism and now we are PAYING for Chrysler making a big mistake in the past.

Even with GM's turnaround, outside the CTS-V and Zo6/ZR-1, there is nothing I really want. I do recommend people to check out GM vehicles though.

Do people realize this has been a 40 year DEATHWATCH, especially the last 30 after the fuel crisis in the 1970s. This was not an overnight death, GM has made awful decisions/products/management for 3 decades and lived off their initial success of dominaition b/c there was NO COMPETITION.

I cannot figure out how outside a couple products, American cars from GM are just not world-class. Its a damn shame as an AMERICAN that the best cars for to buy are IMPORTS.

WTF???? Where IS THE PRIDE!!!!!!!!

Does everyone realize with taxpayer dollars bailing out banks and car companies EVERY TAXPAYER should be able to walk to the bank, get a damn loan and go to the dealership and tell them make me the EXACT car I want with the DOLLARS YOU TOOK FROM ME. This started with the last adminstration and rolled right into this new one.

THere lies your principle. It makes me sick as well.

I guess with the government now changing CAFE standards and them owning 2 car companies, they will tell us exactly what car to drive soon.

Old 05-28-09, 01:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus

Stillborn...I don't think the Chevy Volt will make it to market...even if it did it would be selling at a loss and that's an even bigger reason not to sell it. Government Motors is dead...
If GM still exists at the end of next year, the Volt WILL be for sale. You can count on it. GM has invested more time and money into the VOLT than any other car they've ever built. It's not going to be canceled if GM survives post bankruptcy.
Old 05-28-09, 01:48 PM
LexFather

There isn't a line of people to buy a $40,000+ Volt and lol, people can't get loans from the banks they bailed out.

I'm sure the government will tell us to buy it and they will give some people loans or some crap lol

Old 05-28-09, 04:50 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There isn't a line of people to buy a $40,000+ Volt and lol, people can't get loans from the banks they bailed out.

I'm sure the government will tell us to buy it and they will give some people loans or some crap lol
Lutz was on Letterman last week saying the Volt will sell for $32,500.00...

... not a freakin' chance in Hell...

Quick Reply: GM bankruptcy