Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW planning Polo-based MPV, more masculine Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 01:55 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Men have the GTI. Leave the Beetles for the women.
Old 05-28-09, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A more masculine Beetle? Yeah, I'm not sure I get that. Do a sport model if you must but leave the "more masculine" stuff to the Audi brethren.
Men have the GTI. Leave the Beetles for the women.

Like I said before, FORGET the stereotypes. They are a bunch of nonsense. There are more males out there (yes, straight males) driving Beetles than you think.
Old 05-28-09, 04:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I said before, FORGET the stereotypes. They are a bunch of nonsense. There are more males out there (yes, straight males) driving Beetles than you think.
How about let's forget the argument that the new BEETLE's problem is about stereotypes. Stereotypes didn't cause it's downward sales spiral.

It's a mediocre, non-functional cartoonish-looking car that doesn't deliver. Very few enthusiasts even consider it when shopping for a small car these days.
Old 05-28-09, 04:33 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
How about let's forget the argument that the new BEETLE's problem is about stereotypes. Stereotypes didn't cause it's downward sales spiral.

It's a mediocre, non-functional cartoonish-looking car that doesn't deliver. Very few enthusiasts even consider it when shopping for a small car these days.
As a previous owner of a yellow new beetle turbo, I can tell you that there were plenty of enthusiasts for this car, male and female. My car was also modded and there were plenty of aftermarket support. Its sales are down not because the car is mediocre, but because it is OLD and have not been revised. When it first came out, it was one of the hottest selling cars just like the mini, and its resale value was excellent.

I'm not sure what's considered non-functional, but the shape of the new beetle allowed a very airy and roomy cabin feel that was unrivaled by any other car in its class. In fact, that was one of the things that I enjoyed most about the beetle. It may be considered mediocre now, but back when it came out, the car competed very well with other cars in its class.

Kudos to mmarshall for pointing out these nonsensical stereotypes. I see just as many women driving the IS as the Beetle, so I'm guessing the IS is a feminine car as well?
Old 05-28-09, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. It is certainly not the most space-efficient car I've seen, especially compared to its brother Golf hatchbacks.
Old 05-28-09, 04:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by primecut
As a previous owner of a yellow new beetle turbo, I can tell you that there were plenty of enthusiasts for this car, male and female. My car was also modded and there were plenty of aftermarket support. Its sales are down not because the car is mediocre, but because it is OLD and have not been revised. When it first came out, it was one of the hottest selling cars just like the mini, and its resale value was excellent.

I'm not sure what's considered non-functional, but the shape of the new beetle allowed a very airy and roomy cabin feel that was unrivaled by any other car in its class. In fact, that was one of the things that I enjoyed most about the beetle. It may be considered mediocre now, but back when it came out, the car competed very well with other cars in its class.

Kudos to mmarshall for pointing out these nonsensical stereotypes. I see just as many women driving the IS as the Beetle, so I'm guessing the IS is a feminine car as well?
But you like most enthusiasts didn't consider it in your recent purchase. I don't buy into the female vs. male thing either. But the weak sales numbers lately speak for themselves. And the airy *** backwards shape is novel for sure. Wonderful, back in the day it was cool...........
Old 05-28-09, 05:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While, yes, the flower stalk next to the steering column is a little girly, other than that, in general, I don't see anything UN-masculine about the Beetle to start with. That's just one more of an endless number of idiotic and inaccurate stereotypes perpetrated in the automotive press. Same thing with the Eos, Miata, older VW Cabrios, non-turbo Subarus, Saabs, Chrysler Sebring convertibles, and the last-gen Toyota MR2...the stereotype of "girly", feminine", or "gay" cars. I get t***ed off every time I read that nonsense. Some of the people in the auto press that write that kind of drivel need to get a life......auto writing apparantly just isn't cutting it for them. There is no reason at all why straight males can't buy and enjoy Beetles......even the convertibles.

And guess what? That "girlie" flower-stalk in the Beetle is just a clear-plastic tube that pops right out of its housing for those who don't want it (which would probably include most males).

So, while I agree that the current Beetle is indeed popular with women (that part of the article is correct), that, in itself, doesn't make it any more of a "girlie" car than a Dodge Viper or Corvette ZR-1.

(Sorry for venting guys, but I don't like automotive stereotypes....never did. Most of them are false anyway).
Hey mmarshall, I usually agree with your opinion when it comes to pretty much everything, but I gotta disagree with this one. The Bettle is indeed a girly car, but I don't see anything wrong with that. It does appeal to females, and it was obviously designed by VW to appeal to them. It is certainly fine, as there are plenty of cars that are designed to appeal to males.

As far as straight males buying and enjoying the Bettle, I don't see anything wrong with that either. Beetle is one of these "love it or hate it" cars, so more power to those who love it (as long as its not pink )
Old 05-28-09, 05:14 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This could be it

Old 05-28-09, 07:04 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

But you like most enthusiasts didn't consider it in your recent purchase. I don't buy into the female vs. male thing either. But the weak sales numbers lately speak for themselves. And the airy *** backwards shape is novel for sure. Wonderful, back in the day it was cool...........
Agreed. In the context of present day, the NB is definitely outdated and mediocre. VW's strategy on this car is total failure after the initial model years. They could learn a thing or two from BMW in regards to the mini.
Old 05-28-09, 07:44 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

The car is riding on the MKIV Golf platform and is nearly ten years old. That's why sales are down. I don't know where you are getting your information, or have ever let alone sat in or drove a New Beetle, but it's huge inside and drives very well (it's a Golf). Double that with interior quality that still outpaces modern cars (including the new MKV Golf), and you may want to recheck your "mediocre" label, or at least back it up with something more than "I don't like the styling".
Old 05-28-09, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Hey mmarshall, I usually agree with your opinion when it comes to pretty much everything, but I gotta disagree with this one. The Bettle is indeed a girly car, but I don't see anything wrong with that. It does appeal to females, and it was obviously designed by VW to appeal to them. It is certainly fine, as there are plenty of cars that are designed to appeal to males.

As far as straight males buying and enjoying the Bettle, I don't see anything wrong with that either. Beetle is one of these "love it or hate it" cars, so more power to those who love it (as long as its not pink )
Fine. feel free to disagree with me anytime (as you sometimes do in the debate threads)....I don't mind at all. But, in this case, it sounds like you're arguing with yourself, not me. On one hand, you call the Beetle a girly car, then say that there is no problem with straight males driving it (which is true). However, you are correct that the Beetle is very popular with females....I made that clear in my earler posts. But then, so is the Miata attractive to females....yet plenty of males drive them too (including one of our well-respected CL moderators).

My point is that I don't believe in stereotypes when it comes to buying and driving cars. I myself drive a car (an Outback) that is known to be popular with females and left-wingers.....yet I am a straight, somewhat right-wing white male.

And as for pink cars having a "feminine" stereotype, that is only in recent decades. In the 1950's, pink was a popular color nationwide, especially in two-tone pinks and whites. Elvis Presley, one of the most male, "macho" singers who ever lived, not only drove pink Cadillacs, but with his enormous wealth, gave them as gifts to his friends and family. In 1971, the tough Plymouth Hemi Barracuda muscle-car was offered in a magenta-pink color.
In 1984, Bruce Springsteen, another rather macho male singer, sang about pink Cadillacs in the famous album "Born in th U.S.A"
And as for pink
Old 05-28-09, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
The car is riding on the MKIV Golf platform and is nearly ten years old. That's why sales are down.
Arguably, yes, but it is difficult to determine why sales are down....it is more than just an aged platform. It still, even after 10 years, looks like nothing else on the road....its styling has remained exclusive. And look at how long the original Beetle went (1936-2005)

but it's huge inside and drives very well (it's a Golf). Double that with interior quality that still outpaces modern cars (including the new MKV Golf),
Yes, the Beetle, like most German cars, has good, solid sheet metal and exterior trim (except the plastic fenders) and its general level of fit/finish is not bad, but, I disagree somewhat (not a huge amount) on the interior. Like some other VWs, the interior does not impress me with the general hardware, which, to me, feels tinny....especially controls and stalks. And the enormous expanse of dash in front of the driver, IMO is ridiculous....it could double as an aircraft carrier.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-28-09 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-28-09, 09:49 PM
LexFather

More than any car in the world, no matter what vehicle we offer to buy my mother...the first thing out her mouth is Beetle...baby blue....convertible..Beetle.

Sure, guys buy it but it what it is.

Old 05-28-09, 10:23 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree here with some folks mmarshall. When I think of beetle, I automatically think of feminine.
Old school beetle did something that distinguished it from one sex only to making it a unisex car.

When you compare that one to a modern day beetle, the modern one is just a bubble. When you think of bubbles, you don't think masculine or tough. I would rock the old beetle for sure, but the recent one... I think I'll pass. Plus I heard that particular model gave TONS of problems and consumer reports showed it had tons of issues in general.

Also if you notice in the pictures in a few posts above, you will see the nose has been extended outward. Perhaps they are trying to pull it out to make it more similar to the older model in body shape and perhaps make it more attractive to male consumers?

Last edited by Jewcano; 05-29-09 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 07:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
The car is riding on the MKIV Golf platform and is nearly ten years old. That's why sales are down. I don't know where you are getting your information, or have ever let alone sat in or drove a New Beetle, but it's huge inside and drives very well (it's a Golf). Double that with interior quality that still outpaces modern cars (including the new MKV Golf), and you may want to recheck your "mediocre" label, or at least back it up with something more than "I don't like the styling".
Whatever, so it's mediocre and ugly, certainly none of us want one.

Quick Reply: VW planning Polo-based MPV, more masculine Beetle