Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Must you stop to turn?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 06:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2

Just curious does everyone feel going 2mph around a turn is safe or dangerous?
Ask a farmer on his tractor or a young guy in a Honda S2000 and you'll probably get two different answers.
Old 05-27-09, 06:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Apples and oranges. Minimum speeds on expressways have nothing to do with the arguement............or the thread topic. People don't suddenly slow way down and turn into parking lots and side streets off of 65 and 70-MPH freeways.
Exactly, that's why freeways and expressways have limited access (meaning very few driveways and uncontrolled crossings).
Old 05-27-09, 07:09 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask a farmer on his tractor or a young guy in a Honda S2000 and you'll probably get two different answers.
Holy cow, leave the thread for a couple hours...

Since it wasn't obvious, I'm not a moron. Therefore I was speaking of un-marked intersections and open parking lots

For those of you thinking I'm under 30... I'm flattered! That you think I'm texting or tailgating, I'd be offended but I know you don't know me. That you think my perception is shaped by the IS-F or my GS? Maybe but I'm a big boat man and my big boat can't do turns like that.

I'm not talking highly modified (read lowered) cars here folks. I get that and am even smart enough to immediately recognize they will probably take it slow. I'm also not talking about a car that has plants that can topple over, or old people in the car, and there isn't a shopping center with kids running around that they or I could hit, and the visibility isn't an issue (it's not snowing in dense fog)!

No, what I mean is a wide open street or parking lot. Think Honda Accord or Chevy Malibu. Think turning at 2-3 MPH and sometimes even coming to a stop while the *** end of the car is still hanging out in the lane of traffic (there is more to your car than where you are sitting). I'm talking about moderate. Something I can do in my boat of a car. Is it too much to take the turn at 5-10 MPH?

Like I said, I feel (fell?) better.
Old 05-27-09, 07:12 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Cute... but a really a non sequitor as the audience is clearly CL "normal" folk and neither farmers nor Honda owners.
Old 05-27-09, 07:22 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Seems like this type of thing would depend entirely on the situation. Certain cases you might not have a choice but to come to a complete stop like for instance if you happen to get to the entrance at the same time a pedestrian is walking across or if its a small entrance/exit and someone is exiting etc... But yeah otherwise coming to a complete stop is totally unnecessary.
Old 05-27-09, 07:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
No, what I mean is a wide open street or parking lot. Think Honda Accord or Chevy Malibu. Think turning at 2-3 MPH and sometimes even coming to a stop while the *** end of the car is still hanging out in the lane of traffic (there is more to your car than where you are sitting). I'm talking about moderate. Something I can do in my boat of a car. Is it too much to take the turn at 5-10 MPH?
ok. now that you clarified.....

i've seen it everywhere, but usually in packed parking lots.
but nothing i can do bout it.

now if it's an empty lot, and she hangs her *** out on the street, then yeah i wouldn't be happy

but seriously, is it not fun to test your 60-0 emergency stopping distance with those brembos?
Old 05-28-09, 07:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Not sure about other states, but in CA if you don't make a complete stop before right turn, at least on red/yellow light or at stop sign, you get a ticket. Two of my friends and my dad got ticketed several times for this.
That's why they call it a "Cal Stop".

But look closer at the stop sign. Don't you recall from driver's ed--if there's a white border around the edge, it's optional.
Old 05-28-09, 07:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Depends on the parking lot, in some parking lot, as soon as you enter, there is traffic going accorss. So, if you are not familar with the parking lot, you should really be careful when entering.
Old 05-28-09, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Holy cow, leave the thread for a couple hours...

Since it wasn't obvious, I'm not a moron. Therefore I was speaking of un-marked intersections and open parking lots
Easy, friend. You don't have to go off the deep end. No one's calling you a moron. I just threw in a little irony and metaphors, that's all.

For those of you thinking I'm under 30... I'm flattered!
I had no idea what your age is...didn't even try to guess.

That you think I'm texting or tailgating, I'd be offended but I know you don't know me. That you think my perception is shaped by the IS-F or my GS? Maybe but I'm a big boat man and my big boat can't do turns like that.

I won't say you are tailgating. The usual definition of "tailgating" used to be following less than one car length for every 10 MPH, but, in today's dense traffic, that is no longer possible in many areas. There's just too many cars on the same stretch of road, and people keep cutting in in front of you. Brakes, in general, are also better on today's cars than they were years ago.

No, what I mean is a wide open street or parking lot. Think Honda Accord or Chevy Malibu. Think turning at 2-3 MPH and sometimes even coming to a stop while the *** end of the car is still hanging out in the lane of traffic
In crowded lots, though, sometimes cars turning in have to stop with the tail hanging out a little. I don't like it either, but, in the dense-traffic suburban areas where I drive most of the time, I just watch the cars in front of me and am prepared when it happens

Like I said, I feel better.
Good. Now go relax a little.
Old 05-28-09, 11:28 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

haha...I know you are not 30 Mr Johnson but then again I am not either so I have to be careful. I have driven with and around him so I know exactly what the OP is talking about. I knew this thread would go a different direction. It seems, IMO, that this has become more and more of any everday "issue" then the occasional person hauling something or an older driver.

I guess its are older age Mr Johnson haha...
Old 05-28-09, 11:30 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am sure the farmer would "love" to go faster and get more work done They really dont have a choice do they haha...
Old 05-29-09, 08:24 AM
LexFather

I hate it too as I'm trying to drift in the mall parking lot and this asshat is going like 2.5 MPH : J/K

I agree but people cannot drive. Period. its sad we have to share the roads with them. I say they should only be allowed to use mass transit!!!

Old 05-29-09, 09:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If everybody stops at cross sections and parking lot entrances, how does one utilized the 400+ HP that they bought?
Old 05-29-09, 11:44 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

here's why everyone should not roll through a right turn.

1. to avoid the car making a left, who happens not to see you
2. to avoid the car exiting the lot who doesn't see you
3. to avoid the pedestrian who doesn't see you

Patience can save you thousands in fines and lawsuits and premiums. Put those Brembo's to good use
I don't know about your state, but here in MD, car 1 would definitely be at fault. He must yield to oncoming traffic in the opposite direction, and I'd almost gaurentee 9/10 times car 1 would get a citation for any accident resulting from 'not seeing car 3'.

From there, car two would have to yield to vehicles coming off the roadway.

I know what you mean, but on the other hand, when those same peole try to take turns at greater speeds, its usually accomdated by abnormally wide arcs; I've seen countless people stradle lanes or even go into an oncoming lane for a brief period, because they grossly underestimate the ability of their car to turn. I know many people think you're going *too fast* when they feel any type of G-force or body roll.

The ability to modulate braking, speed, and the line of the turn, prove too much...and so, they naturally go slower. It's part of the reason cars are built with a bias for understeer...slow-in, is safer for most drivers confidence levels.
Old 05-30-09, 08:02 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

I hate that **** too. its like they feel that they are going to spin out or something. well I dont mind it if there turning into a parking lot but onto another street when traffics clear it pisses me off.

and another thing I hate, must you get into the right lane just to make a left turn? its like you cant make the damn turn while staying in your own god damn lane? ****

Quick Reply: Must you stop to turn?