Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Must you stop to turn?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 12:13 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Must you stop to turn?

The thread on passing in a residential area got me to thinking about the activity I hate the most when I'm following someone.

Please, for the love of (insert deity here) don't come to an almost complete stop to make a right hand turn into a street or parking lot. I'm closing on you at 25 - 30 MPH. If you continue to roll through the turn we are all good. I know you have to slow down but don't insist on coming to an almost complete stop so you don't subject your passengers to > .3 G cornering forces!

I fell better...
Old 05-27-09, 12:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
The thread on passing in a residential area got me to thinking about the activity I hate the most when I'm following someone.

Please, for the love of (insert deity here) don't come to an almost complete stop to make a right hand turn into a street or parking lot. I'm closing on you at 25 - 30 MPH. If you continue to roll through the turn we are all good. I know you have to slow down but don't insist on coming to an almost complete stop so you don't subject your passengers to > .3 G cornering forces!

I fell better...
You must drive on the same streets that I do!
Old 05-27-09, 12:22 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I share your pain, dont want sound like an *** but I have noticed that older model toyota's and honda's are the ones that do this..
Old 05-27-09, 12:23 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will from time to time take turns slow if I'm carrying something in the vehicle that could be damaged or upset by a fast turn, however when I do I put my blinker on well in advance of the turn so people can let off the gas pedal and as long as they weren't already riding my butt and they let off the gas immediately, they still won't even have to hit their brakes.

But generally speaking I take turns fast enough to annoy my wife.
Old 05-27-09, 12:25 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, not everyone drives an IS-F where you can turn at high speed.
Old 05-27-09, 12:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what happens at a busy intersection?

you don't stop?

you're a reckless driver if you turn into a parking lot at 30 mph.

if i'm gonna stop to turn into a parking lot, at least i signal and warn the car behind me...... so that he can swerve out of the way and cause an accident somewhere else.

Please, for the love of (insert deity here), don't endanger the lives of other drivers.
Old 05-27-09, 12:53 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah sorry, I can't co-sign this one. If I've got my turn signal on before the turn, I'll turn at whatever speed I need to and could care less who's behind. I ride 2-3 inches off the ground in NYC, no way I'm taking a corner at speed without knowing what's around the bend...

You hit it, you bought it.
Old 05-27-09, 01:03 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Yeah sorry, I can't co-sign this one. If I've got my turn signal on before the turn, I'll turn at whatever speed I need to and could care less who's behind. I ride 2-3 inches off the ground in NYC, no way I'm taking a corner at speed without knowing what's around the bend...

You hit it, you bought it.
Well said. Even though I rarely stop and make a right turn, if I see a right turning signal ahead of me, I assume that person will be taking that turn as slowly as possible.
Old 05-27-09, 01:19 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I stop, or slow down to an almost complete stop when turning into an incline of a parking lot. Don't want to scrape that pretty body kit.

I hate it when the person behind me wants to take me out when I'm doing this.

Like they say, "Do you ever notice that when you're driving, anyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac?"
Old 05-27-09, 01:23 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson

I fell better...
This is why insurance premiums are higher for those 30 years of age and younger..
Old 05-27-09, 01:23 PM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about other states, but in CA if you don't make a complete stop before right turn, at least on red/yellow light or at stop sign, you get a ticket. Two of my friends and my dad got ticketed several times for this.
Old 05-27-09, 01:28 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lalexusgs
Not sure about other states, but in CA if you don't make a complete stop before right turn, at least on red/yellow light or at stop sign, you get a ticket. Two of my friends and my dad got ticketed several times for this.
Its called "rolling"... It is a big no no in NYC as well.
Old 05-27-09, 01:38 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's not talking about rolling through a stop sign which we all know from our first driving exam is illegal. He means any right turn into a parking lot or side street without traffic signals.

Either way, if you see me slowing down to turn, you slow down too... Nuff said. Curse me out when you pass but do after you say how nice my azz looks...
Old 05-27-09, 01:43 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't talking about right on red or right into a parking lot... I was talking about right on green onto a wide open street.
Old 05-27-09, 01:45 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

217.00 lesson that I just recently paid off. That's without going to traffic school with traffic school it ended up being about 280 bucks

Quick Reply: Must you stop to turn?