Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Focus RS will not be coming state side.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 08:37 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ford Focus RS will not be coming state side.

About a month ago WCF published a story about a Ford Focus RS spotted in Michigan. This raised some hopes of Ford taking some RS stock stateside. Further fueling this speculation was an interview done by Automotive News with Ford's director of advanced product creation and global performance, Hermann Salenbauch, in which the man was quoted as saying his company was looking for feedback (about the RS) from media and the public. "How much do they like it? Is it really what they want? We are pretty confident that it is," he said.

Fast forward to now and it appears the wind has changed direction. AutoCar interviewed Jost Capito, the new head of Ford's global performance division. Capito and his team of bean counters reckon the whole exercise of homologating the RS for North American consumption would be too pricey to bear.

"We'd like to," said Capito, "but the base car isn't homologated for North America and that's too costly a job to carry out just for a niche vehicle like the RS."

Again we cannot help but wonder how it is that Ford's best-performing hatchback ever will not be sold on the Blue Oval's home soil. That's a bit like Sony selling the PlayStation console series everywhere else but in Japan.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090527....us-rs-canceled

I'm a bit disapointed since I'm a big fan of hot hatches and the RS is up theyre with the best of them. Now with troubling times I wont get to see one. It would make a great replacement for my old Cooper S.
Old 05-27-09, 09:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Why would we get what we want? That's crazy.

American automakers have always thought that we Americans don't like/want euro-styled/tuned cars. Yet, we have always bought them while making import brands successful all the while sending American brands into or near bankruptcy because of building what they think we want.

I like this quote:

Again we cannot help but wonder how it is that Ford's best-performing hatchback ever will not be sold on the Blue Oval's home soil. That's a bit like Sony selling the PlayStation console series everywhere else but in Japan.
It's so true and GM and Ford has done this for years. Offering all of their best products overseas instead of their home market.
Old 05-27-09, 10:19 PM
LexFather

Ford already said they were not going to bring it. It would cost around 28k-34k . Ford did say they will build the next Focus here and we SHOULD get the RS next go round.

Old 05-28-09, 07:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Stupid Ford, this is my current favorite vehicle from them.
Old 05-28-09, 08:35 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

i have to admit, that car looks/is so badass. sucks its not coming
Old 05-28-09, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Ford must have recently changed its mind. Road and Track magazine did an RS write-up in last month's issue and said, at that point (if my memory is right), that it appeared to be a go for America.