Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man pulls over Speeding Cop

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 12:03 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Judge: You sir are charged with driving 90mph+. Any particular reason why you were pulling this asinine stunt? Was your wife/girlfriend in labor, someone dying, etc?

Driver: Well uh, you see uh, there was this cop and he was speeding and he passed me. So I wanted to catch him so I could give him a piece of my 20 year old mind. I had never driven 90 mph before as you can see from my excitement in this video I have here that shows me breaking multiple driving laws. BUT I was fully in control while driving with one hand, holding a cell phone, looking at my speedometer and sometimes being over the yellow line on a dimly lit two lane road.

Judge: You sir are an idiot!

Even better, I'd love to see the video one of you guys who justified this fool explain to the cop you pass during the chase why you were speeding when he pulls you over.
Old 05-29-09, 12:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a dramatic story.
Old 05-29-09, 12:38 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid people
Old 05-29-09, 02:15 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Same thing happened to me. I was apparently going 60 in a 45 pacing a cop, I didn't know I was going that fast because my cluster wasn't calibrated properly, and I thought I was only going 50-52max. Needless to say, he pulled into the middle lane, SLAMMED on his brakes, and got behind me and flashed his lights. He told me the reason he was speeding was because he was on call. Apparently it must not have been that important if he could have waited at the traffic lights and had the time to write me a ticket.....douchebag.
fyi, not having a properly calibrated speedo is a valid way to get out of a ticket, just provide proof of the malfunction and the judge will let you off.
Old 05-29-09, 02:27 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Judge: You sir are charged with driving 90mph+. Any particular reason why you were pulling this asinine stunt? Was your wife/girlfriend in labor, someone dying, etc?

Driver: Well uh, you see uh, there was this cop and he was speeding and he passed me. So I wanted to catch him so I could give him a piece of my 20 year old mind. I had never driven 90 mph before as you can see from my excitement in this video I have here that shows me breaking multiple driving laws. BUT I was fully in control while driving with one hand, holding a cell phone, looking at my speedometer and sometimes being over the yellow line on a dimly lit two lane road.

Even better, I'd love to see the video one of you guys who justified this fool explain to the cop you pass during the chase why you were speeding when he pulls you over.

Exactly, its kind of stupid how so many geeks are cheering for that dumb kid. "Yea, I would have done the same thing..." or "There have been more than one instance where I thought about doing the same thing..."

please... ****
Old 05-29-09, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Exactly, its kind of stupid how so many geeks are cheering for that dumb kid. "Yea, I would have done the same thing..." or "There have been more than one instance where I thought about doing the same thing..."
Of course what the kid did was dumb and questionable.....few of us doubt that. But what the cop did, without his lights/siren on, was just as bad, if not worse. IMO, the kid was the lesser of the two evils.

I'm usually pretty sympathetic to cops, but not in this case. His own superior said he was "disciplined" after the event, but wouldn't say what (my guess is that he got a short suspension without pay....maybe 3-4 days).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-09 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 02:59 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course what the kid did was dumb and questionable.....few of us doubt that. But what the cop did, without his lights/siren on, was just as bad, if not worse. IMO, the kid was the lesser of the two evils.

I'm usually pretty sympathetic to cops, but not in this case. His own superior said he was "disciplined" after the event, but wouldn't say what (my guess is that he got a short suspension without pay....maybe 3-4 days).

Funny because I am usually the opposite, I am not sympathetic to cops, mainly because of my experiences with them, but in this case I think the "kid" driving while recording with a camera while violating the law himself was the dumber of the two dumbs.
Old 05-29-09, 03:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh the kid was defenately dumb, and what he did was even dumber.

However that fat slob of a cop is a complete idiot, and its a damn shame that morons like him are hired to uphold the law.
Old 05-29-09, 03:26 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that kid had so much adrenaline pumping, he couldn't hold the camera still, and was shtting his pants at the same time.
Old 05-29-09, 04:48 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll make this short and sweet. My roomate is LAPD and getting in the academy is a joke and passing it to become an officer is an even a bigger joke. The stories I hear from my roomate will make some of you guys cry (from laughter) I honestly think some of these cops have no clue. I never have, and never will be sympathetic to cops. It's a glorified position for those that want their ego's stroked...but in no means am I saying that there arent good cops out there...
Old 05-29-09, 05:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rpx13
i'll make this short and sweet. My roomate is LAPD and getting in the academy is a joke and passing it to become an officer is an even a bigger joke. The stories I hear from my roomate will make some of you guys cry (from laughter) I honestly think some of these cops have no clue. I never have, and never will be sympathetic to cops. It's a glorified position for those that want their ego's stroked...but in no means am I saying that there arent good cops out there...

at least you get your tickets erased
Old 05-29-09, 11:15 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the funniest part for me was listening to the audio part. If you only listen to audio only, sounds like ****, all the F-words and S-words the kid was using made me laugh... Cops speed ALL the time in Maryland for no reason at all. They haul *** on route 270, 100mph is nothing for these fools...
Old 05-29-09, 11:39 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leedogg
fyi, not having a properly calibrated speedo is a valid way to get out of a ticket, just provide proof of the malfunction and the judge will let you off.
This was over a year or 2 ago. I don't have that car anymore, so it doesn't matter. Now I just lock my CC on to w/e the speed limit is and I don't worry.

Civilians however should have just as much rights to ticket police officers as officers have the right to ticket civilians. Perhaps make a system where the police car's data is transferred to a central system with date, time, speed, etc. If a person reports the officer for speeding, and the computer brings up the data of when the civilian reported it, and the cop indeed was not on call, and was speeding just like anyone else, then in all fairness they should receive tickets just like anyone else.
Old 05-30-09, 02:01 AM
ASER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

Are you justifying the cop's actions or am I misunderstanding you? It's kinda pointing out the obvious that chasing cops and driving recklessly isn't so bright. The point here (and the reason why the video has almost 130k views) is that in this case it is the officer of the law, sworn to uphold it, who is in the wrong. Does it justify his pursuer's actions? Of course not, but it's certainly satisfying to see the shoe on the other foot.
Old 05-30-09, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Civilians however should have just as much rights to ticket police officers as officers have the right to ticket civilians. Perhaps make a system where the police car's data is transferred to a central system with date, time, speed, etc. If a person reports the officer for speeding, and the computer brings up the data of when the civilian reported it, and the cop indeed was not on call, and was speeding just like anyone else, then in all fairness they should receive tickets just like anyone else.

I agree in theory, but it wouldnt work in practice because there are simply too many dishonest people in our society....they would turn in every cop car they see, guilty or not, just because they have a thing against cops. Of course, that's not to say that there aren't dishonest cops (as this thread illustrates) but the proportion, practically speaking, is much lower.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-09 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Man pulls over Speeding Cop