Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man pulls over Speeding Cop

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 09:03 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree in theory, but it wouldnt work in practice because there are simply too many dishonest people in out society....they would turn in every cop car they see, guilty or not, just because they have a thing against cops. Of course, that's not to say that there aren't dishonest cops (as this thread illustrates) but the proportion, practically speaking, is much lower.
Yeah I agree with you it would be somewhat difficult to implement, HOWEVER as I stated, it would be run in the computer as the civilian would have to put the proper time they witnessed the cop speeding. If they put in 2:05pm, and the computer brings up records of that cops car at 2:05pm, there can be one of two things:
1. The civilian lied, and just tagged a random cop car to mess with them, and of course nothing would happen to the officer.
2. The numbers and time would match. The computer would then check if the officer was on call, and based on whether he was or wasn't, he would or would not receive a ticket.

Yes this system is somewhat finicky in theory, but I think if officers knew that people could write them up for tickets, then I think they would think twice about speeding and abusing their power moreso than they do now.
Old 05-30-09, 01:37 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ASER
Are you justifying the cop's actions or am I misunderstanding you? It's kinda pointing out the obvious that chasing cops and driving recklessly isn't so bright. The point here (and the reason why the video has almost 130k views) is that in this case it is the officer of the law, sworn to uphold it, who is in the wrong. Does it justify his pursuer's actions? Of course not, but it's certainly satisfying to see the shoe on the other foot.
No, there's nothing to justify, cop was dead wrong. The kid was an idiot and extremely lucky.

Do I care about cops speeding. No, not that important... Perk of the job, we all have them. I'm just not one for all the whining...
Old 05-30-09, 02:33 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Eff the police... besides the good ones.
Old 05-30-09, 02:42 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
fyi, not having a properly calibrated speedo is a valid way to get out of a ticket, just provide proof of the malfunction and the judge will let you off.
Perhaps if the judge has no idea what the law is. Show me a law that says your car has to have a speedometer, and you'll find laws that say it must be properly calibrated in a certain timeframe. In other words, no dice. I witnessed someone try this after saying they upgraded their wheels to a different size and needed to get the speedometer fixed because it wasn't working properly. The judge said that the responsibility for that fell to the driver who chose to drive the car without properly functioning equipment and told him that if he could afford new wheels, he should have thought about the additional cost of getting it done correctly. He then proceeded to tell him how much the fine was and had the next case called.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
No, there's nothing to justify, cop was dead wrong. The kid was an idiot and extremely lucky.
Wrong. They're both idiots. One just happened to wear a shiny tin badge.

Do I care about cops speeding. No, not that important... Perk of the job, we all have them. I'm just not one for all the whining...
Perk of the job? That's probably the most asinine comment of all the "whining" that has been expressed. In AZ, it actually states very specifically that the police are NEVER to speed unless going to an emergency call, and are not allowed to speed when returning from a call. And, if they are exceeding the speed limit, they are REQUIRED to operate a red or white beacon that is visible from 500 feet to warn oncoming traffic and those in the way that they are coming on an emergency call.

My take on the whole thing is this, and I won't even bother watching the foolishness that has been described in the video because it's done. The police have a job to do. It's not the most dangerous job in the grand scheme of things, nor is it a thankless job. Many people are helped by the police, and some are illegally and unlawfully harassed by them. Unfortunately, we don't have a way to make a "perfect" police officer, but we should certainly not excuse the behavior of any of them, nor any of us, simply because of the job that we do. There is no conscription into law enforcement, therefore there should be no built in respect for someone simply because they managed to get through and make it in. I have respect for anyone who works a regular job, and that includes them. I have no special respect for them simply because they are police because that's ludicrous.

I have had both good and bad dealings with the police, but I harbor no grudge. They're doing a job, and are paid accordingly. If you don't like the job they are doing, get involved. Go to a city council meeting. Take pictures. Take videos. Do what you should do to make positive changes in your community - participate. If the police don't like being videotaped, they should either train the officers better or follow up on disciplining them when they do wrong.

The other side of the coin is that you have to also catch them doing right, or give them the opportunity to. It's not "protect and react," it's "protect and serve." If you see someone on the side of the road, call the local PD on the non-emergency number. They can help them, and are trained to do so. It's dangerous having a car in the road with a flat, and your fellow citizens want to get where they are going safely. If they refuse to help, that's a problem.

I also don't think that it's fair to judge all police (or anyone else) by the faults of the few you may have had contact with. This doesn't excuse the wrong behavior by anyone, but it's tantamount to saying that an entire group of people will do this every time an opportunity is presented, and we all know that's not real.

Bottom line - they're doing a job. If they're doing it right, good. Vote them a pay raise or encourage the local city to do so. If they're not, report it. If the city is getting complaints and reviewing records like they should be, the behavior will change. I do like the idea of the computer verification vs. the phone call. They already have computers in the cars, what's one more application linked into the ECU?

Big Mack
Old 05-30-09, 05:38 PM
duncan73
Driver

Default Nypd

Once I was responding to a 10-13 (Officer needs Assistance) in Brooklyn, near Coney Island. I was a Medic working for EMS at the time. I probally ran ten blocks when the dispatcher cancelled the call. Some idiot followed me through the red lights and stop signs. Seeing that it was lunch time we pulled over at a fast food place. This same idiot accosted me and my partner about using our emergency equipment to get to McDonald's. He put everyones life in danger because of some supposed abuse of the system. I called for an RMP (cop car) and had him arrested on the spot.
My wife is a Detective First Grade in the NYPD and there isn't a day she goes to work that I don't have a fear that she won't come home. She loves the job, so I have to deal with it. Yesterday, we lost a fellow officer in a tragic shooting by another officer. Cops die every week in this country.
I believe that OCH, a fellow New Yorker, would have considered the feelings of other forum members before publishing his manifesto on police officers, especially at this sad time in New York City.

Old 05-30-09, 06:39 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Wow......that is just something that I have been want to do for a long time. Great Job!!!!!
Old 05-30-09, 06:40 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thats the funniest thing i have ever seen LOL. honking at him for days! lol
Old 05-30-09, 07:04 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

hahaha one of the interviewee's names in the article is BJ Bundick. HAHAHA I don't know why I can't stop laughing at this guy's name! LOL.

But in all seriousness, there are good cops and bad cops, stupid cops, smart cops, courteous cops, and cops who need some serious Slim-fast.

I see cops run reds on a daily basis, I see them speeding, I've been pulled over for bogus reasons, and have been harrassed because I was a 16 year old kid driving around in a pretty silver Lexus.

But despite all the bad times I've experienced with cops, I've had my fair share of times when they were exactly who they needed to be. When I worked as an EMT, there were times that we needed officer assistance and they could not have been more of our friends in our time of need. They've responded to calls that I've made in emergencies while living a dangerous part of Philly (been in a couple of muggings, friends who had been mugged, etc.) and every single time that I needed them, they were quick to respond and help. Hell, I've even simply pulled into a fast food spot where a patrol car was parked and asked the officers for directions and they were very nice and helpful.

It comes down to the people, not the occupation. I'm sure we can give complaints about every occupation. We just happen to point fingers at cops the most because they have power of the law and people don't like watching people who have power abuse them. Unfortunate, but it happens.
Old 05-30-09, 08:45 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Wrong. They're both idiots. One just happened to wear a shiny tin badge.
As what was posted right below yours, there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation as for why the cop was flying by him with no lights or sirens or they may not be. Maybe he simply made a mistake. Who knows, but to see a cop speeding lights or no lights is not some mystery that the general public needs to solve. You don't like it, tape and send it to a higher authority.

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Perk of the job? That's probably the most asinine comment of all the "whining" that has been expressed.
Where did I ever say the cop was right? Relax and take the comment into context. I said the cop was wrong. I said do I care enough about it to make it some personal vendetta where I've always wanted to confront them. For what? First off if you say you see it ALL THE TIME, you're lying. Yes it does happen but not that often, it just sticks out when you do see it because it irks you. What does that take away from your life? If he chooses to blow off some steam by hitting a 100 for a few instead of stuffing a plunger in some kids azz; by all means, do you. Hell, that cop is the one to likely let you off with a warning if you're honest and admit to speeding yourself... Not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

And the reason it's a perk is, who's gonna pull them over besides some 20 year old moron? Rarely does it ever become an issue.

There are cops out there abusing civil rights but driving rights is the issue that's important enough to make you want to 'do this too'.... seriously.
Old 05-30-09, 11:19 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

Wow that driver should come to NY and/or NJ and do some video shoot and he'll definitely have a different outcome compare to the VA sheriff. I know CHP are definitely no joke at all they'll give you the maximum amount of tickets and penalty for pulling a stunt like that.
Old 05-30-09, 11:44 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

As what was posted right below yours, there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation as for why the cop was flying by him with no lights or sirens or they may not be. Maybe he simply made a mistake. Who knows, but to see a cop speeding lights or no lights is not some mystery that the general public needs to solve. You don't like it, tape and send it to a higher authority.
As I said, the law in AZ states that it is illegal for him to do so. I don't care about the cop there, as that's there. It's illegal here, and therefore shouldn't be done by someone who is supposed to enforce the law. It's not a mystery for anyone to solve, and your nonchalant attitude about it is wrong in my opinion. If the police enforce the "small" laws, the "big" laws are less likely to get broken (not quoting you there). It's similar to disciplining a child. If they think you know more than they do from the start, you'll have fewer problems with them thinking they outsmart you.

Where did I ever say the cop was right?
When you said it was a "perk of the job," that means it should be acceptable. It's not, and you were wrong then, just as you are now if you think that.

I said the cop was wrong.
Yes, you did, but the "perk of the job" comment is contradictory to it.

First off if you say you see it ALL THE TIME, you're lying. Yes it does happen but not that often, it just sticks out when you do see it because it irks you. What does that take away from your life? If he chooses to blow off some steam by hitting a 100 for a few instead of stuffing a plunger in some kids azz; by all means, do you. Hell, that cop is the one to likely let you off with a warning if you're honest and admit to speeding yourself... Not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
No. I never said I see it all the time (and you may well be speaking about someone else's post). When I see it, however, it's not acceptable to me. It's not that it "irks" me. It's that it puts other people in danger, and I pay for it. Much like the idiot who chased after the ambulance to make it through the lights, people who drive the same way as a cop who speeds and don't use turn signals are going to cause more accidents than someone who doesn't speed and lets the rest of the drivers on the road know just where in the hell they're going or why they're stopping for no apparent reason (this one pisses me off to no end). If the cop needs to "blow off steam" to prevent him from being a hardened criminal and sodomizing someone, that's the time to evaluate his choice of position, and time for the department to reevaluate how tightly this guy is wound because if he's suddenly forced not to blow off steam this way, is he going to change to sodomizing people to do so? It's a bad analogy, mang.

For the record, yes, I will fully admit I speed, but keep it within 5 MPH on side streets, and 8 on the freeway. In AZ, they will not bother you for one minute at those rates. The cameras are even set at 11. If I saw a cop doing this, I would have absolutely no issue, and I wouldn't say a word to them or their supervisors. I will, however, start talking about doing 55 or more in a 45, no turn signals when making random lane changes (unless it's to get behind someone without alerting them), and doing over 80 on the local freeways (none of which is over 65). Outer freeways, where traffic is not nearly as dense, feel free to roll at 10-15 over, but most cars get really crappy gas mileage at 90+, so again it's an expense issue.

And the reason it's a perk is, who's gonna pull them over besides some 20 year old moron? Rarely does it ever become an issue.
And again, you're saying it's okay after saying he was wrong. Is it right or wrong? I think we both know where I stand on the issue, but where on Earf are you with it? (yes, I spelled it that way on purpose, it's an inside joke with some friends of mine)

There are cops out there abusing civil rights but driving rights is the issue that's important enough to make you want to 'do this too'.... seriously.
I'm sure this isn't pointed at me, and I agree with you. Doing so would be totally foolish and those who do should be prosecuted.

Big Mack

Last edited by Big Mack; 05-30-09 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-31-09, 08:00 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Not gonna debate you point for point because it's not a debate between you and I. We are talking about the same thing and have the same opinion on the issue (THE COP WAS WRONG FOR SPEEDING) but because I don't care about the issue, you want to take offense to my point of view.

I've been to Az on multiple occasions (Scottsdale, Phoenix etc) so I've seen a little of how life is there. Since you're quoting AZ law, I'm assuming you're a resident. In comparison to where I'm from in that I was born and raised in Bed Stuy Brooklyn and South Side Qns, our interactions with police are likely going to be on different levels. We have 40,000 NYPD cops in the city alone. So not only are our interactions likely different, they are also likely to be much more frequent. An officer speeding just rates low enough on my level of importance to where I don't care. I don't see it that often and when I do, I'm usually feeling good about seeing him go by because it means he's leaving my azz alone.

Seriously though, not condoning his actions but not a priority for me. There are other issues here in NY that I think about to be more important enough for me to want to confront a cop and see where his head was at. NYPD Shooting
Old 05-31-09, 01:16 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

thats hilarious. nice find.
Old 05-31-09, 06:31 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I am going to get a little philosophical about this topic.

I am a defense attorney and therefore, I've met a fair number of police officers both at work and off work. While I generally agree with the notion that there may be a few bad seeds who really have nothing else to do other than to pick on the general public for minor traffic infractions, most of cops I've met are professional and courteous.

As someone who deals with the law on a daily basis, I believe that in addition to what we consider "the law", there are also something called rationalization and fairness when it comes to the execution of justice.

I am sure we all remember the incident where a patrolman pulled over a NFL player for running multiple stop signs and red lights. Even though the driver had an emergency to attend to (in this case, his dying mother-in-law), the cop ignored both common sense, and rationalization/fairness when he enforced the law. Had the driver run the stop signs and red lights for no cause, I don't think anyone would have criticized the cop for detaining him on the spot.

Similarly, while the camera guy blindly believes what he considers unlawful, he failed to exercise common sense, logic and basic rationalization in his version of justice: While he's chasing the cop, I don't think he had the slightest idea in his head as to why the officer was speeding. What if the cop was responding to a homicide call to this camera guy's house? If so, would this camera guy be laughing and calling names by then?

In this case, the speeding cop not only didn't cite him for speeding, he even chose not to confront the camera guy to avoid escalating the situation. In my opinion, the officer was trying to be as professional as he could. Had the cop really wanted to be an *******, there's no doubt in my head that he could have thought of numerous ways to make life miserable for this camera guy.

What I am trying to say is that for all practical purposes, this world may just be a better place if each and every one of us just uses a little common sense, reciprocity, and learn how to compromise when it comes to being a better citizen. If a person is displeased with the way a cop drives, a simple phone call would have been sufficient. Proving his point on camera makes him just as reckless as the person whom he wants to accuse.

Jon
Old 05-31-09, 08:58 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
I am a defense attorney and therefore, I've met a fair number of police officers both at work and off work. While I generally agree with the notion that there may be a few bad seeds who really have nothing else to do other than to pick on the general public for minor traffic infractions, most of cops I've met are professional and courteous.
Not to sound like a ***** or anything, but being an attorney and all I think it would serve in their best interest to be friendly and courteous to you. To any other average citizen on the other hand....
And there are more than just a few bad seeds, in the NYPD at least.
I've experienced and witnessed many encounters with the NYPD that have made me lose pretty much all my faith in them. I remember a year or two back some NYPD dbag officer clotheslined a biker off his bike for NO apparent reason and got caught on camera like a jackass. And while the NYPD will play it off as an isolated incident, those who know, know that it's far from isolated, its just that that moron was dumb enough to get caught while the others don't. I've also got plenty of true stories myself I could go on with...

Quick Reply: Man pulls over Speeding Cop