Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man pulls over Speeding Cop

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 07:03 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Man pulls over Speeding Cop

NWS for Language

I'd love to see someone try this in NYC so we could see what part 2 of the video would have been...

ACCOMACK COUNTY, Va. - A YouTube video of an Accomack County Sheriff's deputy allegedly speeding has become the talk of the Eastern Shore. The driver who videotaped the deputy later confronted him.

I'm coming for you," the driver says on tape. "You can't run baby."

What could be considered a dangerous way to prove a point has become an internet favorite.

"I was in shock that someone was stupid enough to actually do that," said Accomack resident Elizabeth Walraven.

The video, shot earlier this month, has had more than 20,000 hits. The driver films himself chasing down the deputy he believed was speeding.

"I just got you on video blowing by me at 90 miles per hour," the driver said to the deputy. At one point the driver's speedometer hit 90 heading down Highway 13. "He was holding his cell being a commentator," said Accomack County resident BJ Bundick. "That is ridiculous. It was irresponsible on his side."

Accomack County Sheriff Larry Giddens says Deputy Jason Campbell was simply caught on tape making a mistake. He tells WAVY.com the young officer wasn't responding to a call and shouldn't have been speeding. The sheriff says Campbell has been disciplined. He wouldn't tell us Deputy Campbell's punishment.

"You're scared aren't you," the driver yelled at the deputy during the chase.

The identity of the 20-year-old cameraman remains a mystery. The 8-minute video shows him honking and getting the deputy to pull over. He then confronts the officer and the deputy lets the driver go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quf0i...layer_embedded

Someone else is going to try this with bad results...
Old 05-28-09, 07:10 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think this was absolutely the RIGHT thing to do and, personally, I'm glad this guy had the nuts to do it.

There's no question that police officers feel that laws are there for them to enforce...not to obey.

Police officers, as a general rule...speed (when not running lights/sirens), roll through stop signs, turn right on red without coming to a complete stop first, neglect to use their turn-signals, etc. All of the things that they LOVE to burn us "regular citizens" for.

I once watched a cop in my hometown come up to a row of 4 red lights (4 intersections down a one-say street). He slowed down at the first one, kicked his gumball machine lights on, rolled through it, and turned the lights back off. When he got to the next, he did the same thing...and the same thing for the last 2. He clearly had nowhere special to go...he just didn't feel like waiting at a red light. Must be nice.
Old 05-28-09, 07:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You guys dont know how many times I wanted to do that, pull them over and give the cop a good citizen warning ticket. Why dont the cop cars have one of those how is my driving sticker in the back with a 1-800 number? What ever happen to lead by example, if the cops dont even follow their own rules that they are trying to enforce, then why should we. I can understand if there was an emergency and they need to get to the location fast, but a lot of times, these troopers routinly do over 90 MPH on the highway.
Old 05-28-09, 07:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OMG, I was literally crying from laughter, this cop is such an idiot, lol, and the dumb look on his face was priceless. I hope he got fired, lol.
Old 05-28-09, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Citizen's arrests are nothing new. They are legal in most places, and have been on the law books for years....but you better be damn sure you know what you are doing.

I usually am sympathetic to cops, with the difficult jobs they often have, but there's probably no excuse for this. The guy chasing him was probably right, but both of them blew through some stop signs......that was very dangerous.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-28-09 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-28-09, 08:55 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahahah awesome kudos to the guy that pulled the cop over
Old 05-28-09, 08:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Citizen's arrests are nothing new. They are legal in most places, and have been on the law books for years....but you better be damn sure you know what you are doing.

I usually am sympathetic to cops, with the difficult job thery have, but there's probably no excuse for this. The guy was right.

My opinion here (though the article doesn't say) is that the guy who chased him was probably an ex-cop or an off-duty cop from another jurisdiction.
Cops have a difficult job? Give me a break, its an easy government job, requiring no skills but providing many benefits.

Cops are often portrayed as heroes, and I'm sure some of them are. But very, very few of them. From my few experiences dealing with cops, most of them are lazy, obnoxious, rude, and whatever else negative qualities human beings possess.
Old 05-28-09, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Cops have a difficult job? Give me a break, its an easy government job, requiring no skills but providing many benefits.
Incorrect. It takes a lot of training. Courses in just how to arrest someone can take months....not to mention all the other things they have to know. That's why you have police academies....there's a lot of schooling involved.

And some cops get injured or killed on duty.

Cops are often portrayed as heroes, and I'm sure some of them are. But very, very few of them. From my few experiences dealing with cops, most of them are lazy, obnoxious, rude, and whatever else negative qualities human beings possess.
My experience has been just the opposite. Most of the cops I've known (and I've had some as neighbors) are nice, courteous, and friendly. Occasionally you will run into an a** hole.....but the sensible way I drive, I don't run into many of them in traffic-ticket situations.

(BTW, I was incorrect in my assumption that the pursuer was an ex or off-duty cop. The article said he was only 20 years old, which would make that scenario very unlikely. I revised my post accordingly)
Old 05-28-09, 01:02 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

people are scared of cameras haha
Old 05-28-09, 01:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This cop was such an idiot that I couldn't even believe what I was watching.

99.9% would have slowed down early on, pulled behind this guy and ticketed him for speeding, ect. Don't ever think that you can pace a cop from behind if they are speeding. Never mind chase them at 100 mph. I can't believe that this cop did nothing. And I can't believe the cop said his name on camera.
Certainly his career is over for this behavior.

I saw a guy pulled over a few weeks ago on the highway pacing a cop at about 75 mph (in a 65). The cop just moved to the middle lane, slowed, and pulled right behind and pulled him over. It was funny.
Old 05-28-09, 01:27 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
OMG, I was literally crying from laughter, this cop is such an idiot, lol, and the dumb look on his face was priceless. I hope he got fired, lol.
This guy could of seriously got screwed. Glad he encountered an inexperienced cop. Biggest ***** of the year goes to this man.
Old 05-28-09, 01:33 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
This cop was such an idiot that I couldn't even believe what I was watching.

99.9% would have slowed down early on, pulled behind this guy and ticketed him for speeding, ect. Don't ever think that you can pace a cop from behind if they are speeding. Never mind chase them at 100 mph. I can't believe that this cop did nothing. And I can't believe the cop said his name on camera.
Certainly his career is over for this behavior.

I saw a guy pulled over a few weeks ago on the highway pacing a cop at about 75 mph (in a 65). The cop just moved to the middle lane, slowed, and pulled right behind and pulled him over. It was funny.
Exactly what I was thinking. If I was that cop I would of slammed on my brakes and got behind him. Guy has no excuse for following the cop like that no matter how wrong the cop is.
Old 05-28-09, 01:35 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Same thing happened to me. I was apparently going 60 in a 45 pacing a cop, I didn't know I was going that fast because my cluster wasn't calibrated properly, and I thought I was only going 50-52max. Needless to say, he pulled into the middle lane, SLAMMED on his brakes, and got behind me and flashed his lights. He told me the reason he was speeding was because he was on call. Apparently it must not have been that important if he could have waited at the traffic lights and had the time to write me a ticket.....douchebag.
Old 05-28-09, 01:50 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

The dude is lucky the cop was a pudgy herb rookie. If it was one of those hardened cops, he would have got his *** beat and arrested.
Old 05-28-09, 03:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

indeed, so many times i want to chase on speeding cops who are just speeding and running redlights and talking on cell phones for no reason

Quick Reply: Man pulls over Speeding Cop