Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Exxon Mobil Says Transition From Oil Is Century Away

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 03:44 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ren495
exxon as always is full of ****. 100 years my ***. 100 years from now we could have transitioned already from electric cars to hydrogen cars to cars that run on air to cars to fly to mars.

The world will hit peak oil sometime in the next decade. Most likely around 2015. So exxon is saying the period from peak oil to no oil will last around 95 years???

I'm willing to bet my life it won't
peak oil was in 2005 I think.

edit: from wikipedia:
Kenneth S. Deffeyes argued at one point that world oil production peaked on December 16, 2005.[5]

Sadad Al Husseini, former head of Saudi Aramco's production and exploration, stated in an October 29, 2007 interview that oil production had likely already reached its peak in 2006,[7] and that assumptions by the IEA and EIA of production increases by OPEC to over 45 MB/day are "quite unrealistic."[7]
2004 U.S. government predictions for oil production other than in OPEC and theformer Soviet Union
World Crude Oil Production 1960-2004. Sources: DOE/EIA, IEA

Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens stated in 2005 that worldwide conventional oil production was very close to peaking.[102] On June 17, 2008, in testimony before the U.S. Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, Pickens stated that "I do believe you have peaked out at 85 million barrels a day globally,".[103] Data from the US Energy Information Administration show that world production leveled out in 2004, and reached a peak in the third quarter of 2006,[citation needed] and an October 2007 retrospective report by the Energy Watch Group concluded that this was the peak of conventional oil production.

Last edited by lex; 05-29-09 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-29-09, 04:45 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
And that is exacly true. The hydrogen and electric cars are using more fossil fuels than regular cars in the sense that electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels. Hydrogen is especially bad, because more electricity is used by extracting hydrogen from water than produced by burning hydrogen.

As far as nuclear, thats requires uranium or plutonium, which are also fossil elements. While nuclear reactors are very efficient, it is unclear what Earth's resources of these elements are. They are probably not as abundant as oil, and might not last very long.
What oil refineries use to get the petrol and diesel fuels? Electricity of course. What gas stations use to to get that fuel int our cars? Electricity of course. I am not so sure that fossil fuels are more efficient in transportation than full electric of hydrogen-electric method.
Fossil fuels are here to stay unfortunately but at least we can cut them off from use in transportation and housing.

I strongly believe geothermal power is the way to go to generate electricity sometime in the future.
Old 05-29-09, 05:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
What oil refineries use to get the petrol and diesel fuels? Electricity of course. What gas stations use to to get that fuel int our cars? Electricity of course. I am not so sure that fossil fuels are more efficient in transportation than full electric of hydrogen-electric method.
Fossil fuels are here to stay unfortunately but at least we can cut them off from use in transportation and housing.
But do you understand that whatever electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels? And yes, of course electric engines are more efficient than ICE, probably 3-4 times more efficient for that matter, but still the electricity they use was once produced by inefficient method.
Old 05-29-09, 05:56 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think a big part of the problem with going away from fossil fuels is exactly what we're seeing here...it should be electricity...no...hydrogen, no...nuclear...wait, geothermal...how about solar?

What's the answer? What's the ONE TRUE answer? No one knows.

Who wants to invest trillions of dollars into what might NOT be the next big energy thing?

Anyone want to invest some money in HD-DVD?....how about the DIVX format (no, not the codec)?...we could all pool our money and buy Betamax players...Memorystick media...or the MiniDisc.

The question of "Will fossil fuels last forever?" is a very easy one to answer. The question of "What's the next dominant energy source going to be?" is not so simple.
Old 05-29-09, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There are viable alternatives, just not one that is cheaper than oil at this point. All of you have seen how cheap these oil companies can sell thier oil and still make a profit, there is simply nothing out there with the same BTU that can compete with oil dollar for dollar, well, maybe coal, but that can get messy in the fill up station
Old 05-29-09, 07:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
As far as nuclear, thats requires uranium or plutonium, which are also fossil elements. While nuclear reactors are very efficient, it is unclear what Earth's resources of these elements are. They are probably not as abundant as oil, and might not last very long.
30% of US reactors are fueled by recycled Soviet warheads. New generation reactors produce a lot less nuclear waste and can use the nuclear material longer. Current nuclear rods last about 18-24 months. If you want sheer output you cannot match a nuclear reactor, the highest power density of any generation source. To keep costs down a company should design a nuclear plant, get it working good and you just duplicate the heck out of it, instead of designing a new plant from the ground up each time. Duplication would save a lot of money.

France is already buildings its first generation III reactor, and a second is being planned, the newest reactor type. Why the US cant do this but France can is beyond me. France is doing everything we should be doing.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf40.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318688,00.html
Old 05-29-09, 08:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
30% of US reactors are fueled by recycled Soviet warheads. New generation reactors produce a lot less nuclear waste and can use the nuclear material longer. Current nuclear rods last about 18-24 months. If you want sheer output you cannot match a nuclear reactor, the highest power density of any generation source. To keep costs down a company should design a nuclear plant, get it working good and you just duplicate the heck out of it, instead of designing a new plant from the ground up each time. Duplication would save a lot of money.
You are forgeting about the nuclear waste, the spended rods. Those plutonium nuclear waste sits underground and stays radioactive for over 100,000 years.
Nuclear, much like hybrid cars are not the answer but a stop gap, we need to find a way to produce fusion energy instead of fusion.
Old 05-29-09, 08:14 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

France is already buildings its first generation III reactor, and a second is being planned, the newest reactor type. Why the US cant do this but France can is beyond me. France is doing everything we should be doing.

This is exactly the answer. Nuclear power whether fission of fusion should be used to generate electricity. I can't fathom why fossil fuels are still being used to do it.

OT: Exxon mobile is full of crap. Obviously there is money to be made off oil so they won't look for an alternative. Idiots.
Old 05-29-09, 08:16 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
You are forgeting about the nuclear waste, the spended rods. Those plutonium nuclear waste sits underground and stays radioactive for over 100,000 years.
Nuclear, much like hybrid cars are not the answer but a stop gap, we need to find a way to produce fusion energy instead of fusion.
Hasn't a solution to recycle/reduce radioactivity of nuclear waste been (or is being) developed? Could have sworn I read something about that
Old 05-29-09, 10:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Hasn't a solution to recycle/reduce radioactivity of nuclear waste been (or is being) developed? Could have sworn I read something about that
If you are talking about Argonne’s pyroprocessing technology, it reduces the amount of the nuclear waste generated from the power plant and the waste have a decay time of a 1000 years as oppose to over 100,000 year. It is still in the laboratory stage and need large scale testing. It is certainly a step forward but by no mean a solution to the nuclear waste problem.
Old 05-29-09, 10:12 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think you mean fusion instead of fission. Hopefully one day it will work.
Old 05-29-09, 10:30 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You can blame the environmentalists and alarmist who have way too much political influence why we are not allowed to build any more nuclear powerplants. Alarmist seem to think nuclear technology and safety have not progressed since Chernobyl and 3 mile island and it is impossible to make a safe new nuclear powerplant with new technology even though we use them everyday in newer mobile subs and aircraft carriers. The environmentalist don't want any kind of new plants or refineries built because they say it takes up too much land and damages the environment which is a major reason our energy costs are so high and we depend so much on foreign oil. These environmentalists complain so much about oil companies and burning fossil fuels but then are totally against nuclear power even though new nuclear plants would be cleaner and use much less resources then coal or oil plants and would greatly reduce our need for foreign oil. These environmentalist seem to be living in some world where we can solve all our huge energy needs with just windmills, solar energy, or maybe just use their favorite plant hemp to solve all the worlds problems. If we could get most of our electricity from nuclear plants that would make a huge impact on our fossil fuel consumption and there would need be a great need for hybrids or more and more fuel efficient cars.
Old 05-29-09, 10:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

We can built a a safer nuclear power plant but not a 100% safe one, I would not want one in my backyard, how about you Homer?
Old 05-29-09, 10:49 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

We can built a a safer nuclear power plant but not a 100% safe one, I would not want one in my backyard, how about you Homer?
My parents live on a lake in South Carolina with the Duke Power Nuclear plant less than a mile a way. Doesn't bother us any. Frankly, the energy is cheap and its clean.
Old 05-29-09, 10:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I want power whether the sun isnt shining, the wind isnt blowing, or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_III_reactor

A generation III reactor is a development of any of the generation II nuclear reactor designs incorporating evolutionary improvements in design which have been developed during the lifetime of the generation II reactor designs. These include improved fuel technology, superior thermal efficiency, passive safety systems and standardized design for reduced maintenance and capital costs.

Improvements in reactor technology will result in a longer operational life (50 to 60 years) compared with currently used generation II reactors (20 to 30 years), which are based on 1970’s technology. Furthermore, core damage frequencies have variously been estimated at between 10 and 100 times lower, depending on the design, making nuclear power plants of this design safer than previously built reactors.[1]

The first generation III reactors were built in Japan, while several others have been approved for construction in Europe.

Quick Reply: Exxon Mobil Says Transition From Oil Is Century Away