Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar shamelessly apes Lexus with its 2010 XFR

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 01:12 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No joke I should scan the article (I don't scan anymore but this one is worth it I swear) in CAR mag where they have a long term Jaguar XF and they literally call a friend of the editor who has a Lexus GS 450h to bring his GS soley to compare how the XF copied the GS. I was shocked they did it and it really shows how solid of a mag they are giving Lexus props for the shape. The small article discusses the XF copying the GS. When you also read other car magazines, the GS is brought up every time from a design standpoint.

I like both cars a lot. The XF is a size bigger and the rear is more successful. It however looks like a 11/10ths GS with Aston tails. Funny I browesed the XF forum and of course they dont' see the similarities The other day I saw 2 different XF on I am assuming 22s and they looked fantastic to me.

There seems to be a move from split spokes to now tri-spokes on cars. Its funny to see everyone doing it.

I don't mind my wheels, they are different but they are a BISH to clean b/c of the extra chrome spoke. You can't go wrong with a basic 5 spoke design and modifying it (twin spokes, tri spokes).
^ i believe you mentioned this briefly in my post regarding my 450h vs XF supercharged. were the 2 XF you saw supercharged? any challenges?
Old 05-29-09, 01:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Missed my post They are ridiculous to clean. As a matter of fact I've never seen my wheels fully clean.
How long will those wheel remain on your GS?
Old 05-30-09, 10:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
^ i believe you mentioned this briefly in my post regarding my 450h vs XF supercharged. were the 2 XF you saw supercharged? any challenges?
No, just saw them cruise by, no chance to race.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
How long will those wheel remain on your GS?
Not sure. Probably will go through these tires first. I already have 4 people calling dibs if I sell.

Old 05-30-09, 11:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
lexus wants its wheels back

5 star with chrome inserts.

first they imitate. next thing, they'll be humping your leg.

sure the rims are similar, but not the same. the lexus middle spokes appear to be chromed and jag's not and the 'face' of the lexus rims appears to 'stick out' some, where the jag's are flatter.

but on the cars overall, the devil's in the details. the jag's front/rear overhangs are shorter. the jag's wheel fitment is world's better. the jag's hood height seems lower than the gs. the gs doors are completely plain down to the bottom trim piece.

can you tell i like the jag's looks more?
Old 05-30-09, 11:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

also, the pics i found online of the 2010 xfr have dual spoke rims, not tri-spoke

and LOOK at these details...

pics from leftlanenews.com
Old 05-30-09, 11:29 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I already have 4 people calling dibs if I sell.
I'll kill you
Old 05-30-09, 11:48 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the jag's front/rear overhangs are shorter. the jag's wheel fitment is world's better. the jag's hood height seems lower than the gs. the gs doors are completely plain down to the bottom trim piece.

can you tell i like the jag's looks more?
Yes I can tell and you are so completely right...

Old 05-30-09, 11:58 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

XFR looks great except for the headlights & grill. The Jag wins hands down for looks & interior details. Hopefully the 4th gen GS will be better.
The new 5-series & MB550 look like winners!!! I wouldn't get the MB but the 5-series is tempting.
Old 05-30-09, 06:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My opinion, a car doesn't have to be totally original in it's styling to be great looking. Nor does the car have to be true to it's historical brand design(s) to be great looking. The XF Jag is an example that I like to bring up and is one of my favs.
Old 05-30-09, 07:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I'll kill you

Just kidding

What is funny is people love to knock Lexus for "copying" style over and over and its blatantly obvious Jag copied Lexus here and we seem to rationalize it and there is no huge score of people waving fire saying "down with Jaguar they copy".

That said reviews of this car have been superb here and in Europe. Now the new diesel (we don't get) is being called possibly best in class (the S-type diesel was crap as the entire S-type). THe XF has trumped the M5 etc in some mags and the S/C has gotten great reviews.

Jag did their HOMEWORK with this car. I really do love it. Kudos to Jaguar/Tata/U.K, Mr. Bean/FORD!!!

Nice track photos here

http://www.drivers-republic.com/firs...c4c79fb539b026

Not my cup of tea (actually awful) but with 22s

Last edited by LexFather; 05-30-09 at 07:57 PM.

Old 06-01-09, 06:10 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Side by side the Jag looks like it lost weight & got into shape.
Old 06-01-09, 06:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seriously, the 4th gen GS needs to be a knockout in performance & aesthetics to compete in the class.. The 3rd gen pictured in this thread looks like a clam shell.
Old 06-01-09, 07:36 AM
LexFather

Funny in this month's CAR magazine, Ian Callum (old Aston, current Jag designer) addresses why the XF looks like the GS

Old 06-01-09, 08:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny in this month's CAR magazine, Ian Callum (old Aston, current Jag designer) addresses why the XF looks like the GS
What was his reason?
Old 06-01-09, 08:19 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Oh snap. Even the guy who designed the XF said he ripped off the GS? lol. Well he did a good job IMO. So why did he?

Quick Reply: Jaguar shamelessly apes Lexus with its 2010 XFR