Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar shamelessly apes Lexus with its 2010 XFR

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 08:29 AM
LexFather

I'll type word for word later on tonight. Its in my suitcase somewhere

Old 06-01-09, 09:09 PM
LexFather

I got to type this stuff out. In EVO they say something to the effect "the added stuff to the XFR makes it look less like a Lexus GS"

Old 06-03-09, 09:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sure the rims are similar, but not the same. the lexus middle spokes appear to be chromed and jag's not and the 'face' of the lexus rims appears to 'stick out' some, where the jag's are flatter.

but on the cars overall, the devil's in the details. the jag's front/rear overhangs are shorter. the jag's wheel fitment is world's better. the jag's hood height seems lower than the gs. the gs doors are completely plain down to the bottom trim piece.

can you tell i like the jag's looks more?
That is a bad pic for the GS. In person, the GS wheels look much better and more elaborate than the XF wheels.

It's not like the Jag's doors are THAT much less plain than the GS. They are fairly plain too.

The Jag does have those advantage over the GS, but I will never be able to overcome the absolutely hideous front end of the Jag.

Personally, previous-gen Jags looked MUCH better overall. They had very nice front ends, and very nice proportions in general. Previous-gen Jags looked like nothing else on the road.

Every time I see a new XF though, I mistake it for a GS.
Old 06-03-09, 02:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Every time I see a new XF though, I mistake it for a GS.
Every time I see a new XF, I say "nice Jag". They are popular here and always catch my attention.
Old 06-03-09, 02:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Every time I see a new XF, I say "nice Jag". They are popular here and always catch my attention.

I have to agree here. The overall shape is incredibly similar but seeing one on the road, its hard IMO to mistake it for a GS. The grill, front rear lights etc are drastically different (and more pleasing to the eye IMO).

SEXY
Old 06-03-09, 04:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

To each their own. The grill and headlights are hideous. The only redeeming features in that pic are the lower air intakes and the sculpted hood.

From a distance, an XF especially at a side or 3/4 rear view can be mistaken for a GS. That is what has happened to me on several occasions.

I still stand by my opinion that Jaguar had a great thing with their previous designs. Some might call them dated, but they were classic designs, with styling that you knew was British.

With the new XF styling, it's as if Jag has an identity crisis. They are aping Aston, Lexus, and some Korean designs all at the same time .

IMHO, I want a Jag to look like a Jag, not to look like something else.

THIS is what I call a Jag. The new XK looks good; it looks like a Jag. The upcoming next-gen XJ I think will look good too. The XF though is the lame duck in terms of styling, particularly the front end.
Old 06-03-09, 04:22 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I still stand by my opinion that Jaguar had a great thing with their previous designs. Some might call them dated, but they were classic designs, with styling that you knew was British.

With the new XF styling, it's as if Jag has an identity crisis. They are aping Aston, Lexus, and some Korean designs all at the same time .

People always say that but facts are facts: those Jags DID NOT SELL. The new XF is.

I personally love the new XF. I honestly don't really get how the XF looks like the GS, especially in person. There is NO WAY you can get these two mixed up. Maybe the chrome portion of the C-pillar is mildly similar but even then, in context of the rest of the car, the XF's is more sporty, modern, raked and just better designed. Not to mention, the XF's design is FAR more coherent than the GS, and has much better proportions and detailing.

And unfortunately, the next XJ I heard will look like an XF on steroids. So it's time to say bye, once and for all (thank god) to the old Jaguar.
Old 06-03-09, 04:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
People always say that but facts are facts: those Jags DID NOT SELL. The new XF is.

I personally love the new XF. I honestly don't really get how the XF looks like the GS, especially in person. There is NO WAY you can get these two mixed up. Maybe the chrome portion of the C-pillar is mildly similar but even then, in context of the rest of the car, the XF's is more sporty, modern, raked and just better designed. Not to mention, the XF's design is FAR more coherent than the GS, and has much better proportions and detailing.

And unfortunately, the next XJ I heard will look like an XF on steroids. So it's time to say bye, once and for all (thank god) to the old Jaguar.
Correction, those Jags did not sell in North America. In the UK and other markets, those Jags sold decently well. Not spectacular, but decently well. What really hurt Jag was not their old styling, but the fact they didn't update models fast enough, and all the major reliability issues they had.

The next XJ is supposed to look like the Concept XF, which is what the XF *should have* looked like in the first place.
Old 06-03-09, 11:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,660 Posts

To each their own. The grill and headlights are hideous. The only redeeming features in that pic are the lower air intakes and the sculpted hood.
that's your opinion. but the lights and grill can be redesigned fairly easily. the 3GS is a mess - a camel.

From a distance, an XF especially at a side or 3/4 rear view can be mistaken for a GS. That is what has happened to me on several occasions.
maybe by you, but i would never mistake the two. conversely, i've often mixed up the ls460 and camry on the highway at a distance.

fair point, but they have to find a way to look modern even if distinctive. bentley's done an awesome job of that for example.
Old 06-04-09, 07:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Whatever, the XF and GS have similar wheels and a vague resemblence in the rooflines but that's about it. No question as to which car looks sleeker in my eyes.

Yes we know the XF doesn't look like a traditional Jag. But it looks better and it sells better.
Old 06-04-09, 06:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe by you, but i would never mistake the two. conversely, i've often mixed up the ls460 and camry on the highway at a distance.
same here

those tail lights are too similar in shape.

camry XL
Old 06-05-09, 08:54 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I actually hated the GS450h wheels when it came out.

Now, I want it and almost won a set on eBay last week...
hahaha, I think we were bidding on the same set.
Old 06-05-09, 09:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

conversely, i've often mixed up the ls460 and camry on the highway at a distance.

I've mixed up an ES and LS at a glance a couple of times, other CL members have done the same.
Old 06-05-09, 09:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I can tell its a new Jag XF a mile away when I see one on the road, I have to get up pretty close to a GS to know for sure that it is a GS.
Old 06-05-09, 02:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I've mixed up an ES and LS at a glance a couple of times, other CL members have done the same.
yup, me too, several times. as i get closer, then yes, i see the differences, but since one is twice the price of the other, i should see a LOT of difference.

Quick Reply: Jaguar shamelessly apes Lexus with its 2010 XFR