Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove the Porsche Cayman S with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-09, 02:54 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kyang91
THis afternoon I went and test drove a brand new 2009 Porsche Cayman S with PDK transmission. I have to say that I was very happy with the result and I loved I like the sound of the new direct injection engine and when you push the "Sports Plus" Bottom that car just comes alive with the revs. And it also handles very well in the corners I was able to pushed it real hard. And I actually try the new Laungh Control with the PDK and let me tell you, it is pretty damn fast. After test drving and brand new 2009 Cayman S I was so satisfied I went ahead and order one for 2010 because I want to get it with the Porsche PCM braking system and when the dealer did a search for me there is none in the whole US with PCM and PDK together. And I also ordered a Brand New 2010 Boxter S for my wife as well. I got it for her as a surprise since both car is gonna arrive in around Oct. it will be close to our anniversary time so I just want to get it for her as a surprise gift. Anyway, I would just like to share some of the common that I have after I test drove the new Cayman S. And an afternoon of test drove not just satisfied me also burn a pretty big hole in my pocket....haha.

Congrats, I always warn people " if you can't buy one don't drive one"
Old 05-31-09, 04:54 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, I think the new Cayman S with PDK will be the ultimate open track weapon!
Old 05-31-09, 05:11 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new purchases!!

Its threads like this that make me wish i wasn't a broke college student lol
Old 05-31-09, 05:14 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
Congrats!

If I were you, I would get the 911 for her as an anniversary gift....

I keep the keys ofcourse..

yeah. nothing says "I love you" like........

Old 12-06-09, 02:43 AM
madoka
Pole Position

After test drving and brand new 2009 Cayman S I was so satisfied I went ahead and order one for 2010 because I want to get it with the Porsche PCM braking system and when the dealer did a search for me there is none in the whole US with PCM and PDK together. And I also ordered a Brand New 2010 Boxter S for my wife as well. I got it for her as a surprise since both car is gonna arrive in around Oct. it will be close to our anniversary time so I just want to get it for her as a surprise gift.
So in one year you bought a S5, a Boxster S, a Cayman S, and gave away your new M3? But you still drive an old GS?

Did you get the Porsches yet? Any pics? I'd like to see the Boxster next to the Cayman.
Old 12-07-09, 09:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats on the new car. Nothing beats the Caymens/Boxsters for weekend sports cars, true drivers cars. I have owned both the Boxster and Boxster S, the sound of the flat six is intoxicating and the handling/steering feel best in class.

The new 2010 engines have the simplified engines which should eliminate the IMS engine failure problem too.
Old 12-07-09, 10:52 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The new 2010 engines have the simplified engines which should eliminate the IMS engine failure problem too.
Didn't that start with the 2009 models?
Old 12-07-09, 11:05 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madoka
Didn't that start with the 2009 models?
I think the easiest way to differentiate is to know if the engines have D.I., if so then they have the simplified engine.
Old 12-07-09, 11:39 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I think the easiest way to differentiate is to know if the engines have D.I., if so then they have the simplified engine.
Yeah, DI came out in 2009.

BTW, I'm pretty convinced the OP did not actually buy two Porsches. Nor do I think he owns an Audi S5, "gave away" a new M3, or is looking to put a deposit down on a LF-A. I think he's a really nice guy and he's welcome to prove me wrong, but his posting history is clearly not consistant with what he claims.
Old 12-07-09, 11:52 AM
madoka
Pole Position

This actually reminds me of when I bought my Cayman. I was cross-shopping a G37. I had a nice Infiniti salesman who gave me a good offer on a G37 coupe, but it didn't have the options I wanted. After I bought the Porsche, he contacted me again asking if I was still interested. I told him I decided on a Cayman, so he asked me what I got and told me he had two Porsches as well. When I asked him which ones, he responded:

"I have a 2 year old Caymin RS and 6 years old Kayanne Turbo S."

If you're going to BS, at least learn how to spell the names correctly and pick cars that actually exist.
Old 12-07-09, 03:54 PM
madoka
Pole Position

After test drving and brand new 2009 Cayman S I was so satisfied I went ahead and order one for 2010 because I want to get it with the Porsche PCM braking system and when the dealer did a search for me there is none in the whole US with PCM and PDK together.
BTW, PCM stands for Porsche Communications Management, which is their NAV system.

PCCB refers to the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes. But, I'm guessing someone who actually spent over $8000 on this option would know the difference.
Old 12-08-09, 04:46 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by madoka
BTW, PCM stands for Porsche Communications Management, which is their NAV system.

PCCB refers to the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes. But, I'm guessing someone who actually spent over $8000 on this option would know the difference.
8000$ for a set of brakes for a 60k car?!

Wow!
Old 12-08-09, 04:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
8000$ for a set of brakes for a 60k car?!

Wow!
Porsche is pretty good at offering a full selection of creative options that can double the price over base price.
Old 12-08-09, 08:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats man. You have awesome taste in cars and in gifts.
Old 12-09-09, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow kyang91 - ordering 2 new porches... economy must suck for you.

CONGRATS!!!
Yeah. I hope I don't see you out on the street corner holding a tin cup.

Just kidding......congragulations.

(I reviewed a new Boxster a few years ago, but it was not a very comprehensive review compared to the ones I do today).

Quick Reply: Test drove the Porsche Cayman S with PDK