Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG: "Its okay if you don't like a sporty car and you don't drive sporty"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Right On !

I've been saying exactly this for years now...over and over again. But I give Mike credit for starting an excellent thread here.

One of the reasons why we have so many sport-sedans and so many sport-oriented cars on the market today (and a noted lack of traditional soft-riding luxury cars) is because of just that......pressure from the automotive press, and from magazines that do little but emphasize 0-60, quarter-mile, slalom times, and minimum-braking distances. As Mike says, this often has little to do with the real daily-driving world.

Unfortunately, this preoccupation with sport-oriented driving, on the part of both the magazines and, increasingly, the manufacturers themselves, has virtually ignored not only many older folks but those not-so-old ones who prefer softer rides, lower noise levels, and dont' care as much about acceleration or handling. Virtually every redesign these days (and even some mid-cycle running changes) features more aggressive tires/suspension, less wood trim, and cheaper-looking/feeling interior materials (happily, there are some rare exceptions to this trend, like the superb new Lexus RX350, the Toyota Land Cruiser, and some recent improvements in GM interiors).

But, what the auto companies seem to have completely forgotten is that it's the older folks (most of whom like non-sport-oriented cars) who have much, if not most of the money to spend on cars in the first place. They are the ones who have consistantly bought Buicks, Lincolns, and the larger, more traditional soft-riding Cadillacs. They have also been the core group who has bought the Mercedes S-Class and Lexus LS (Okay, Andrew, I know some not-so-old people drive the LS too ). They are also about to be replaced by the largest-generation in history, the Baby Boomers, who are now starting to retire, many of whom (now) have weak backs and legs like their parents and don't want stiff-riding cars anymore. They are (perhaps) the richest generation in history, and, even here in the recession, have money to spend on new cars. And the manufacturers had better have what they want on the new-car lots.....otherwise you ae going to see a LOT of buisness in used cars in the near future.
Old 07-29-09, 09:03 AM
LexFather

I've started observing people driving "sporty" cars around. They usually are on the phone or not close to driving sporty and probably have no idea what the "Tail of the Dragon" is or the "Nurburgring". Moot point.

When the time comes, I would like to own a "sporty" mag favorite car. Until then I'm happy in my Lexus Town Cars according to people

Old 07-29-09, 03:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed the trends in customization often has little to do with increasing performance lately. Modern premium cars are plenty fast with good handling and braking, practical enough to drive daily. The sales strength of all the premium sport sedans combined shows the demand for luxury and comfort with high performance capabilities. Just my observations.
Old 07-29-09, 08:20 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Mike.

There's a reason Toyota sells more cars than anyone despite constantly being bashed my the auto press for their lack of race car handling. It's because of every other quality about the car that gets REAL people to buy them.

Every time I see an expensive high performance car such as a Corvette or Porsche [on the highway], it's some middle-aged guy doing 65 in the middle lane and there's Prius's passing them. Why do they need 450 some odd horsepower??

Quality/reliability is the #1 or #2 priority for the majority of buyers and this never ever carries weight in a comparison test in these damned magazines.
Old 07-29-09, 09:33 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

It almost seems like if you didn't buy the super sporty version you have to defend your self for why.

Well hows this: my Rover is an HSE, not supercharged & not sport ... and I LOVE every minute of it. It's a tank & I wouldn't have it any other way.

my STS, rides on 16"s and it's excellent, I go over a bump that would be a major event in the IS, but in the STS it's like nothing happened.

Now, I like sport & driving & all that stuff, probably more than most (not necessarilly most in here, but you know what I'm getting at) but when I'm in the FFRR or the STS, it has got to be one of the more pleasant experiences available. I get to be in there and be completely oblivious to outside noise, outside temperature, general stupidness of others ... it's like my own world & it's the way I want it, especially the Rover.

What I'm getting at here is that even if you're a sport person, that's not all a car is about & I think a lot of people have lost sight of that.

I personally would like to see the revival of luxury as luxury, not as some strange idea where sport w. a couple nice amenities is considered the same thing.
Old 07-30-09, 12:22 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
It almost seems like if you didn't buy the super sporty version you have to defend your self for why.
EXACTLY!!! Every time someone asks what IS I have, and I answer IS250, people always say "aw dude, u shoulda got the 350 man!" or "why didn't you get the 350?! the 250 is hella slow" etc etc etc ...

Hey... i can get 0-60 in around 7 seconds (slightly modded + super sticky PS2s ) ... and the IS350 gets me there in what... just under 6? Thats only around one second faster! I got into a used IS250 (not even 1 year old and under 20,000 miles) for 28,00 OTD! A 350 would have been 37-38k! easy deciscion for me (no used ones in Matador red and low milage at the time .. and I looked everywhere)

Hey ... and I don't regret it! According to the super cool auto mags... I handle better than an IS-F
Old 07-30-09, 01:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I will admit I have started to mellow after getting the Lexus. The car doesn't inspire to race. It inspires me to relax and cruise. As I age I am seeing that luxury is utilized more in day to day driving than sporting abilities of a vehicle. This is the very thing that makes me afraid of buying a car as pure as the GTR. Its not a stripped out race car, but its not designed to soothe the driver while in the car.
Old 09-10-09, 08:58 AM
LexFather

ITS OKAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE OR WANT A SPORTY CAR OR DRIVE LIKE ANDRETTI!!!

bump

Old 09-10-09, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
ITS OKAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE OR WANT A SPORTY CAR OR DRIVE LIKE ANDRETTI!!!

Gee, car-wise, except for the Acura RL (where we may disagree on its styling and powertrain), you're beginning to sound more like me every day.
Old 09-10-09, 01:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, reading car mags and car forums would suggest that we are all race car drivers and therefore the sportiest car always wins.

All anyone has to do is look at auto sales to see that nothing could be further from the truth.

The best selling cars year after year are what they call "boring" cars.

F-150
Camry
Accord
Corolla
Civic
ect....

And if we drive like they think we drive, we get a bad ticket or lose our license. That's cool?

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 09-10-09 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
EXACTLY!!! Every time someone asks what IS I have, and I answer IS250, people always say "aw dude, u shoulda got the 350 man!" or "why didn't you get the 350?! the 250 is hella slow" etc etc etc ...
Yeah, I hear the same crap from some of my old auto-enthusiast friends too. No matter what you buy, it NEVER has enough power to satisfy them.

Actually, my favorite version of the IS, the 250AWD, is even slower than the regular 250 you have, due to the automatic transmission and added weight/drag of the AWD (I'm a traction freak, like some guys are with speed). You could (?) maybe argue that Lexus should have done an AWD 350 (it would, of course, compete with the superb AWD BMW 335xi), but Lexus, to date, has not seen fit to do one.

Hey ... and I don't regret it! According to the super cool auto mags... I handle better than an IS-F
And the regular IS250, despite having a firm (borderline stiff) ride, is nothing like the harshness you get with an LS-F. Even Car & Driver magazine, a strongly sport-oriented publication that rarely, if ever, compains about firm chassis/underpinings, said, in the LS-F's's long-term evaluation, that its ride was unacceptably harsh. It was the one major thing on the car they would change....they liked just about everything else.
Old 09-10-09, 01:44 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stop the press the LS-F is here?!?!
Old 09-10-09, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I will admit I have started to mellow after getting the Lexus. The car doesn't inspire to race. It inspires me to relax and cruise. As I age I am seeing that luxury is utilized more in day to day driving than sporting abilities of a vehicle. This is the very thing that makes me afraid of buying a car as pure as the GTR. Its not a stripped out race car, but its not designed to soothe the driver while in the car.
that's why i concluded i needed 2 vehicles. a big roomy quiet one (in my case an suv), and a small light fun one (in my case a miata, by FAR the most fun car i've ever owned).

i just couldn't please both sides of my brain with one vehicle. big luxury sport sedans like an audi s8 or MB S65 for example are pretty incredible, but ultimately you can't defy physics, and they're still huge heavy (incredible) hulks.
Old 09-10-09, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gee, car-wise, except for the Acura RL (where we may disagree on its styling and powertrain), you're beginning to sound more like me every day.
speaking of RL, i saw a new one (refreshed) and apart from the front/beak, it looked GREAT, especially like the rear lights and additional trim. the large exhaust tips looked a bit over the top though.
Old 09-10-09, 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nthach
Stop the press the LS-F is here?!?!
i think he meant IS F.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: "Its okay if you don't like a sporty car and you don't drive sporty"