Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG: "Its okay if you don't like a sporty car and you don't drive sporty"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 08:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's why i concluded i needed 2 vehicles. a big roomy quiet one (in my case an suv), and a small light fun one (in my case a miata, by FAR the most fun car i've ever owned).

i just couldn't please both sides of my brain with one vehicle. big luxury sport sedans like an audi s8 or MB S65 for example are pretty incredible, but ultimately you can't defy physics, and they're still huge heavy (incredible) hulks.
They are also incredibly expensive and quite frankly they are too much for an average driver. Cars like Miata/S2K are perfect to have fun with.
Old 09-10-09, 08:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Excellent thread!

IMO this speaks to the large 'silent majority' of car owners. And while some enthusiasts like to deride others as knowing little about cars, hating to drive etc., it's not the case. Rather, it's a matter of priorities. Many would like a spirited performer, but not at the expense of the other aspects of vehicle ownership such as quality, interior design, practical room, utility, etc. One can get all ideally in a package, however that's not what the current crop of publications/some websites seem to see.
Old 09-10-09, 08:45 PM
amdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice post man.

call it the "AMG" phenomenon - because the #1 market for AMG cars is So Cal, all driven by chicks who have no clue about power and performance - it is pretty dumb.

i am 33, but love the luxury cars - driving to me is all about having a relaxing experience, listening to music, being isolated from the road, etc.

i think driving a lexus is a stress relief which adds yrs to your life.
Old 09-10-09, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by amdave
call it the "AMG" phenomenon - because the #1 market for AMG cars is So Cal, all driven by chicks who have no clue about power and performance - it is pretty dumb.
Yeah, just ask Lindsay Lohan. She's had multiple DWIs and wrecked two SL AMGs.........in SoCal.
Old 09-11-09, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Thanks everyone.......

Old 09-11-09, 09:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a moving thread.. I too believe that it is ok if you don't like a sporty car & you don't drive sporty.

Old 09-11-09, 09:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive safely on the public roads please.
Old 09-11-09, 11:42 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice write up Mike. But I still prefer the best of both worlds. Having a sports car is kind like having a very attractive lady. Even when you think about her she brings a smile to your face.
Every time I took my NSX out for a spirit drive it provided something my Acura CL and GS just couldn't. The smile that came on face when I took her around a curve with no problem and down shift and bing 8K on the tach. Seriously the only time I feel like drive slow is on the way to church and maybe back in the day when I had too much to drink.
It's so funny just the other day this guy passes by me driving reckless in his LS. As he dodges in out traffic I watch how his suspension wobbles back and forth. It really looked as if he was going to flip the car over. Yes, I know the LS’s are not meant for racing. But I thought about just how boring it must be to drive that car despite the luxury. Kind how I felt when I drove my CL it’s a beautiful car in and out but brought no excitement.
I would be the first say I love luxury option but honestly most those gadgets are a waste. The only time I use most that crap was when I was on a date.
Old 09-11-09, 01:46 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, just ask Lindsay Lohan. She's had multiple DWIs and wrecked two SL AMGs.........in SoCal.
Now her, she should only be driving a 1964 Chevy Corsair, 1970 Ford Pinto or a older Honda with a metal spike in place of the airbag, so when Darwin comes knocking, he'll finish the deed.

And the LS is too much of a luxo-barge to be driving like a nut - granted I did do a few mild suspension upgrades on it, but I'm not planning on slamming it.
Old 09-11-09, 02:46 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Great thread Mike. I wholeheartedly agree.

However, let me add a counterpoint to your argument. I see a TON of high performance AMG and M cars being driven around Orange County by trophy wives who have no idea what their car is capable of. The extent of their usage could be handled competently by the model's base V6 engine, and those high performance tires and sport suspensions are probably utilized at less than 1/3 of their capability. And you know what? I LOVE IT. As I'm blasting past them on the road, I give their cars a wink, knowing that a few years down the line when the newest and coolest model comes out (with slightly different headlights and MP3 capability yet with the same darn engine), they'll be trading it in and I'll be buying their pristine vehicle at 1/4 the price they paid.

Let them try to keep up with the Joneses. That's just more monkey p*ssy for me!
Old 09-11-09, 06:26 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll say it: I'm in my mid 20s, I love my ES350 because it's a soft ride. I hardly go 5mph over the speed limit. I even stop all the way at stop signs.

In the end, I love my Lexus.
Old 09-11-09, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
I'll say it: I'm in my mid 20s, I love my ES350 because it's a soft ride.
Agreed. I liked soft-riding luxury cars, too, in my youth.....but also muscle cars; Yes, I liked them both.

The ES350's ride, though not harsh by any means, is noticeably firmer than in the ES330 it replaced. Lexus, (needlessly, IMO), used a firmer suspension and lower-profile tires in the 350. They also, in thr 330-350 conversion, cheapened up the interior with less wood, cheaper plastics, and more creaks/rattles.

You say you love your 350.......I respect your opinion, and I don't mean to be rude .......but I reviewed an ES350 myself, and I had to call it like I saw it.

In fact, it is almost impossible to find what I myself consider a truly soft ride anymore.....among regular production cars, perhaps the non-AMG Mercedes S-class comes closest. Even Buicks, Cadillacs, Lincolns, and the Lexus LS have all been firmed up some over past models. Just like with the ES330-350 conversion, there was also a slight but noticeable increase in ride stiffness in the LS430-460 conversion, too, though the LS460 still maintains its tomb-quiet sound insulation.

I hardly go 5mph over the speed limit. I even stop all the way at stop signs.
That's a good way to keep your license.....and cheap insurance.

Though it's a little off-topic, though, I think it should be pointed out that the number of 3 and 4-way stop signs, especially in suburban areas, has clearly gotten excessive, often used where they are not really needed for safety, and are simply a political tool for "traffic-calming" and to try and discourage traffic from going through certain neighborhoods.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-09 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-11-09, 08:57 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I do find it amusing to see the posts in this thread regarding women driving high performance M's and AMG's and not appreciating or understanding the performance aspect.

I would guarantee you that there are far more silver haired, mid-life crisis avoiding men driving these cars, that have just as little of a clue and no idea how to drive their cars at the limit.
Old 09-12-09, 02:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I do find it amusing to see the posts in this thread regarding women driving high performance M's and AMG's and not appreciating or understanding the performance aspect.

I would guarantee you that there are far more silver haired, mid-life crisis avoiding men driving these cars, that have just as little of a clue and no idea how to drive their cars at the limit.
I agree with this actually, most of those cars are barely pushed, a lot are garage queens but hey, depreciate away and keep them clean b/c I want a CLK Black Series

Thanks everyone. Clearly its FINE to drive sporty and want sports car etc. I'm just saying its fine if you just want to cruise and drive laid back in a laid back vehicle.

Old 09-12-09, 09:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree with this actually, most of those cars are barely pushed, a lot are garage queens but hey, depreciate away and keep them clean b/c I want a CLK Black Series

Thanks everyone. Clearly its FINE to drive sporty and want sports car etc. I'm just saying its fine if you just want to cruise and drive laid back in a laid back vehicle.
I also agree, owning and driving fine sports cars/premium machinery on the weekends is one of the the rewards for hard work. Cruising in luxury/laid back is good too, especially for the daily driver.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: "Its okay if you don't like a sporty car and you don't drive sporty"