Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG: "Its okay if you don't like a sporty car and you don't drive sporty"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 09:43 AM
LexFather

Post 1SICKBLOG: "Its okay if you don't like a sporty car and you don't drive sporty"

Soon I am going to start my own blog/site. It will be full of Lexus info, cars, beer, women......I cannot promise in that order As I drove today very lesiurely (I won't say my MPG or you will call me a Smug bish ) even after reading maybe 20 mags this weekend about how I need to drive faster than anyone this came to mind......

Barnes and Nobles is where I usually go for any mags I don't subscribe too or to look/buy something that might feature a Lexus (unusually). If you are like me, you glance at the covers and its the same thing, month over month, decade after decade;
-"new 2010 car does 0-60 in before you can finish this sentence"
-"comparo of 5 sports sedans for the crown"
-"OMG new 2010 car flies around the Nurburgring"
-"You suck if you don't buy this new sportier version of this car"

etc etc etc......Over and over, every month its the same thing. This car is faster by .1 sec. This car does the slalom .3 faster. Some mention weight gain but most don't stress the fact the car is 300 lbs heavier b/c it got 30 more hp. You don't see a car on the cover for being reliable. You don't see a car on the cover for having good quality or making life easier for the driver. The Prius makes 50 MPG, a milestone achievement and its not on any cover b/c its "boring" and not a "drivers car".

Now being a Lexus owner, you might feel slightly left out. You see back in the 1990s when car reviews were actually about the car and not going around the track ***** out as if that is the sole purpose for a car, Lexus did reasonably well. Between the rise of the "ring", Top Gear, and the internet clueless, car mags have pretty much dropped anything resembling sense so they can tell you how they got X car faster than X magazine and appeal to people who think life is the lowest number and highest number possible. It seems outside the IS-F, Lexus is not worth anything ......

Somewhere, the plot was lost. You see I might be one (was) of the more aggresive Lexus drivers around and its still maybe 10% tops of the driving I do. When I look around, its the same thing. We don't drive on roads that resemble Monoco's F1 circuit. For the most part roads are straight and if we are lucky, recently paved. If anything, people are speeding along at 85 MPH in a 55 zone. There are areas where the roads are winding and you may drive them daily but this is very very RARE.

Every month, I read these mags and buy them and every month its more track testing and driving the cars until the brake fluid boils and something breaks down. In essence, it is beautiful people are getting paid to take cars to the limits. That said, owners rarely do. Not just your staid Lexus owner. EVERY owner.

You see while people want you to believe they bought their vehicle b/c it drives like it does in the magazine, the fact is they bought it because it CAN do what was done in the magazine. Not b/c they will do it. Rather b/c Don "random" jones, writer of X magazine, said the Y car does 0-60 in 4 seconds flat and handles like it is on glue and your car can't do that.

Yes, your car can't do that. So what happens? Well the internetz go nuts with the results. You see b/c in this one test, your car W can't do what car Y does, so it sucks. Mind you it lost by .2 tenths of a second and we all know on the way to the mall, losing by .2 tenths of a second will make you lose that front parking spot which is vital.

Let me tell you one more thing. For all the sport humping people do, well these same people can't drive. They would get passed by a Rabbit on a freeway ramp (not a VW Rabbit but like a bugs bunny rabbit). They shout proudly of their win in K magazine b/c they could only wish they could replicate those numbers. If I had a dollar for every car I beat driving a old, non handling, crap sporty Lexus I would be first in line for the LF-A.

Let me also tell one one more last thing . For all the butt humping people do about sport, they configure the car wrong. You hear about people saying "oh it has a manual offered, your car doesn't" and they drive the same gotdamn slushbox YOU do. They might even have a less advanced automatic. I don't understand the point of bragging on "sport" if you yourself skipped the available manual and got the automatic. Funny but you are the exact person who the company that doesn't make the manual sells too. Its back to what I said earlier. Its not the fact they can do it, its the fact its there. Which is fine. Its called association. I buy Honey Smacks sometimes thinking I can hop and hump like the frog in the ad.

Its okay if your car is not sporty or the sportiest and its okay if you don't drive sporty. Its okay if your idea of a mod is adding some fuel additive. Its okay if your car loses every gotdamn comparo b/c it doesn't handle like it wasn't meant to in the first place. Its okay if the car is reliable but may not tackle the slalom (which you think is what skiers do) like a bat out of hell. Its okay not to feel much or any vibrations in the road in exchange for less driving feel. Its okay if you bought your car for features or for cargo space. Its okay if you bought the car if you liked the interior and it fit you well. Its okay if you bought something b/c you like how it looked, period. You see what the magazines fail to realize is in life is there are actually OTHER PRIORITES besides driving under the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes. Its okay to buy a car if the last 3 from the brand have done you well, the dealer has done you well and you are a happy returning consumer. It is OKAY is sport was not first on your list of buying decisions.

You do have a couple of options. You can modify your car (something rarely covered in magazines) or buy a car that was meant to be driven the way the mags test them. If being #1 in a magazine means that much to you.

Have a great week

Mike

Last edited by LexFather; 06-01-09 at 01:58 PM.

Old 06-01-09, 11:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good post Mike.

Recently, I have been going over some of my late 90's and early 00's car magazines in my leisure time- mostly the collection of issues that have stuff related to the 2GS.

Before I went to sleep last night I thoroughly red both the MT 2000 comparo of the GS 300 vs. Lincoln LS V6 vs. BMW 528i, and their 2001 comparison of the S Type 4.2, GS 430, E430, 540i, A6 4.2 and LS V8. Reading through some of these articles makes me wonder where modern automotive publications went awry, and realize that the content is almost completely different than what we read and hear about today.

In the GS 300 vs. LS vs. 528i comparo there was a comment something along the lines of, "The GS doesn't offer a manual like the other two, but you would never miss it because this is such a smooth shifting automatic."

WHAT?!

In the same article, one of the drivers commented that he would take the GS 300 over the other two because it was the most comfortable, had the nicest, best built interior, and nearly matched the 528i in terms of performance. He mentioned that it would be the easiest to live with every day.

WHAT?!

A car with no manual, a nice interior, and the most comfort for every day driving would be chosen over one that is faster and offers a 6 speed?! BLASPHEMY!!!!

These late 90s/early 00s articles that I am referencing spend several paragraphs talking about ride quality, interior fit and finish, interior and exterior design, technology and innovations, and odd things like "creature comforts" and "driver amenities". You know...things that real drivers notice and care about. There is typically a paragraph or two about performance, but it is not the sole focus.

You open any modern day publication and 3/4 of the content is related to skid pads, quarter miles, 0-60s, 60-0s, and track times- things that are relatively out-of-mind/reality for most drivers. While I knowthat the horsepower race started around ten years ago (which inherently creates hype around performance), it's too bad that magazines have nearly exclusively focused on performance aspects in recent years. In some ways, it is essentially a disservice to the average reader.

I am certainly not saying that there is anything wrong with cars that are sportier than their counterparts, but the angle from which many of these articles are written is truly laughable. I think it was C&D a few years back, that compared the top executive limos from each lux company - Chauffeur Showdown I think it was called- and the LS460L came in last because it was not the fastest or "fun to drive" and offered the least grip, but the richest interior amenities and luxuries with an unmatched level of technology.

In the "Chauffeur Showdown" the vehicle with the most luxurious and decadent interior, with technology abound, lost because it was not sporty enough.
Old 06-01-09, 11:52 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy

I think what you are talking about is because of the big magazine conglomerates hiring younger cheaper writers to replace veteran automotive journalists to cut costs and increase profits. This is why I rarely even open Motor Trend anymore. I read about 1 magazine a month now, 2 years ago at least 1 a week.
Old 06-01-09, 12:18 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Epic post 1Sick, I think you're spot on!

As 'entertaining' as those magazines are (and I do subscribe to one of them) I wouldn't lay my cash on the table until I supplement then with something like a mmarshall review. Those are the types of reviews that hit home for me personally and really echo back to those 80s review you mention. My point is a 1SICKBLOG with 1SICKREVIEWS sounds like the type of resource we need!
Old 06-01-09, 01:06 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I think what you are talking about is because of the big magazine conglomerates hiring younger cheaper writers to replace veteran automotive journalists to cut costs and increase profits. This is why I rarely even open Motor Trend anymore. I read about 1 magazine a month now, 2 years ago at least 1 a week.
I agree, and I also feel like the mags are trying to appeal to the younger crowd by using "witty" or even sexist commentary and/or crude language as part of their articles. I'm a younger guy myself, but to me it feels very forced and awkward. They are trying too hard and it's not working.
Old 06-01-09, 01:21 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by primecut
I agree, and I also feel like the mags are trying to appeal to the younger crowd by using "witty" or even sexist commentary and/or crude language as part of their articles. I'm a younger guy myself, but to me it feels very forced and awkward. They are trying too hard and it's not working.
Yeah, Motor Trend has a tabloid feel to it now that really turns me off.

Car& Driver copied the layout somewhat when they downsized, but the words are still the best IMO but their sense of humor which set them above every auto mag I have ever read has all but disappeared. No doubt due to corporate "improvements" Been there done that
Old 06-01-09, 01:45 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Wow, Mike, Fantastic post! I, really, could not have said it better myself. Car mags need to get back to their roots and test luxury cars to find out how luxurious they are, test sports cars to find out how sporty they are, and test economy cars to find out how economical they are. How simple is this concept, and why don't the editorials understand it?
Old 06-01-09, 02:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Very good post Mike.

Recently, I have been going over some of my late 90's and early 00's car magazines in my leisure time- mostly the collection of issues that have stuff related to the 2GS.

Before I went to sleep last night I thoroughly red both the MT 2000 comparo of the GS 300 vs. Lincoln LS V6 vs. BMW 528i, and their 2001 comparison of the S Type 4.2, GS 430, E430, 540i, A6 4.2 and LS V8. Reading through some of these articles makes me wonder where modern automotive publications went awry, and realize that the content is almost completely different than what we read and hear about today.

In the GS 300 vs. LS vs. 528i comparo there was a comment something along the lines of, "The GS doesn't offer a manual like the other two, but you would never miss it because this is such a smooth shifting automatic."

WHAT?!

In the same article, one of the drivers commented that he would take the GS 300 over the other two because it was the most comfortable, had the nicest, best built interior, and nearly matched the 528i in terms of performance. He mentioned that it would be the easiest to live with every day.

WHAT?!

A car with no manual, a nice interior, and the most comfort for every day driving would be chosen over one that is faster and offers a 6 speed?! BLASPHEMY!!!!

These late 90s/early 00s articles that I am referencing spend several paragraphs talking about ride quality, interior fit and finish, interior and exterior design, technology and innovations, and odd things like "creature comforts" and "driver amenities". You know...things that real drivers notice and care about. There is typically a paragraph or two about performance, but it is not the sole focus.

You open any modern day publication and 3/4 of the content is related to skid pads, quarter miles, 0-60s, 60-0s, and track times- things that are relatively out-of-mind/reality for most drivers. While I knowthat the horsepower race started around ten years ago (which inherently creates hype around performance), it's too bad that magazines have nearly exclusively focused on performance aspects in recent years. In some ways, it is essentially a disservice to the average reader.

I am certainly not saying that there is anything wrong with cars that are sportier than their counterparts, but the angle from which many of these articles are written is truly laughable. I think it was C&D a few years back, that compared the top executive limos from each lux company - Chauffeur Showdown I think it was called- and the LS460L came in last because it was not the fastest or "fun to drive" and offered the least grip, but the richest interior amenities and luxuries with an unmatched level of technology.

In the "Chauffeur Showdown" the vehicle with the most luxurious and decadent interior, with technology abound, lost because it was not sporty enough.
I agree. Its sad more people don't question these results. In ten years we have seen a complete change in how reviews are done. I like my EVO mag. I don't need 10 different EVO wanna-be mags.

Good point. When Sports Car International was discontinued, Jay Lamm explained how the mag was awesome b/c they didn't have car advertisers outside of Lotus so they didn't have to kiss anyones butt. The mag never made money . His suggestion was charge people $10 a mag instead of $5 as people would buy quality of quantity. I would have bought it at $10 with no issues.

Originally Posted by TripleL
Epic post 1Sick, I think you're spot on!

As 'entertaining' as those magazines are (and I do subscribe to one of them) I wouldn't lay my cash on the table until I supplement then with something like a mmarshall review. Those are the types of reviews that hit home for me personally and really echo back to those 80s review you mention. My point is a 1SICKBLOG with 1SICKREVIEWS sounds like the type of resource we need!
Thanks. I am not beating up all reviews. Some cars should be tested as advertised. However what about liveablity, what about with 4 people in the car, what about REAL LIFE situations?

Originally Posted by primecut
I agree and dare I say "not as bright" crowd? I mean how much lower can times get? The funny thing is when people test their own cars they rarely EVER get the same results!!! Everyone wants to be a Clarkson nowadays.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Wow, Mike, Fantastic post! I, really, could not have said it better myself. Car mags need to get back to their roots and test luxury cars to find out how luxurious they are, test sports cars to find out how sporty they are, and test economy cars to find out how economical they are. How simple is this concept, and why don't the editorials understand it?

Thanks. I doubt they will change as they will do what they must to survive, as mags continue to get canceled. I think there is room for quality, not quantity. It seems all mags are now THE SAME. Consumer reports is on the total other end of the spectrum and really doesn't give you a feeling for the car.

I swear I would just pay for pic and specs and have a BLANK MAGAZINE with not one damn opinion

Old 06-01-09, 06:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I think what you are talking about is because of the big magazine conglomerates hiring younger cheaper writers to replace veteran automotive journalists to cut costs and increase profits.
excellent point. with millions of bloggers, there's so much 'content' out there that magazines are more about comparisons of test results and pictures/

don't care about the comparisons? then you don't buy the mag.

mags of all kinds are on a death spiral as the internet has brought quantity over quality.

future car reviews will have to fit in 140 characters on twitter.
Old 06-01-09, 09:11 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
excellent point. with millions of bloggers, there's so much 'content' out there that magazines are more about comparisons of test results and pictures/

don't care about the comparisons? then you don't buy the mag.

mags of all kinds are on a death spiral as the internet has brought quantity over quality.

future car reviews will have to fit in 140 characters on twitter.
Curling up by the fireplace with a good book is being replaced with a good laptop?
Old 06-01-09, 10:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Great write up Mike!
Old 06-01-09, 11:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Curling up by the fireplace with a good book is being replaced with a good laptop?
absolutely. netbook sales are storming...
Old 07-26-09, 11:46 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i still read car magazines and watch top gear, but only for the facts; everything else is for entertainment purposes.

any subjective matters, i'll relegate to a dealership for a visit and/or a test drive.
Old 07-27-09, 01:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think more Lexus exposure will be great. I will always love a spirited drive every now and then
Old 07-27-09, 05:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are more reasons not to buy a sporty car, even if you like to drive sporty. And this is why:

1) If it comes with a manual, you wont drive it as fast as automatic. Yes, theoretically you can shift faster with a manual, but thats if you're concentrating on shifting 100%, which just doesnt happen in real life. I'd say that 99 times out of 100 you will get taken over by someone in automatic by the time you shift.

2) It will come with ridiculously hard suspension and ridiculously low profile tires, so you will drive slowly, swerving around bumps, potholes, cigarette butts, while grandpas in Buicks pass you by.

3) You will eventually bend your rims and your suspension will get all loose and rattly, so you will drive even slower and experience all kinds of shaking and vibrations.

4) You will suffer daily from the punishing ride and noise. You woman will hate your ride and dump you. Also if your not fit like the Stig, you wont find sporty seats comfortable, especially on long trips.

5) One day you will drive someones proper luxury car, such as LS or S class, and find it orgasmic. You'll eventually buy one of those and never look back... Until you hit midlife crisis and get a red corvette... But you'll only drive that (slowly) to the nearest dinner on sunny summer sundays, so thats ok.

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG: "Its okay if you don't like a sporty car and you don't drive sporty"