Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't buy a used car in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Of course their are subclimates in California, since the size, population and economic power is the equivalent of an entire nation.

Note: that is where the Carfax can help, since it shows city and state of registered owners.

The large population areas have the most temperate climates (and high income demographics) and the best pickings for auto inventory, and the experts in the field know it and cherry pick from it.
I suspect that has more to do with the number of garage-kept cars than the climate itself. L.A., SF, and San Diego, the major population centers, are on or near the coast...with its salt air. SoCal, like my own D.C. Metro area, is very affluent, and many car owners, especially those with nice cars they want to keep pristine, can afford big homes with garages.
Old 06-06-09, 12:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I suspect that has more to do with the number of garage-kept cars than the climate itself. L.A., SF, and San Diego, the major population centers, are on or near the coast...with its salt air. SoCal, like my own D.C. Metro area, is very affluent, and many car owners, especially those with nice cars they want to keep pristine, can afford big homes with garages.
Yep certainly a factor, it's kind of the chicken before the egg situation. But the coastal areas of California with the nice sunny temperate climates do tend to attract the highly educated and therefore somewhat affluent, which is part of the success formula of Silicon Valley. The Mediterranean climate is not just easier on the cars, it's pleasant for the residents 300 days per year.
Old 06-06-09, 02:47 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I will make this short & sweet by saying this... What glitters isn't always gold. For that same 18k-26k you mention, you can by a brand new car. There are too many question marks with used cars & it may end up costing you more money in the long run than a new car. My GS was purchased second hand back in 2000 & boy has it cost me a pretty penny over the years. More so than the cars I purchased new like the BMW's & the Rav4. Don't get me wrong, there are some diamonds in the ruff but one might roll the dice & get snake eyes.

i congree

you may find a nice deal.

but i don't trust most used car dealers. there's too much to lose with used lux cars.

the only used car i would buy is a $5000 beater. if it breaks, i dispose of it.