Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't buy a used car in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 10:29 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't buy a used car in Atlanta

Video about bad car dealers and carfax in Atlanta. Check out the carfax rep as well.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/19086976/detail.html

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/investigat...16/detail.html

Avoid the following dealer if your looking for a used car in Atlanta. Atlanta used car center both locations, Atlanta Auto Leasing, Alpha Carz, Ga Best Car deals, Ga Best Motors and few others. You need to Run Autocheck before buying these cars. Dont depend on Carfax to uncover frame damages history. These guys buy junk. If you ran an Autocheck on any vehicle they got and it came back clean that just means its not frame uni body damage. It doesn't mean it hadn't been in an accident or flood. There is always a reason why a dealer can get a car a lot cheaper than the rest. If a deal is too good to be true it probably is.

Hopefully a full disclosure law is passed in GA soon.
Old 06-01-09, 10:47 AM
LexFather

CarFax is a POS lying company. That is why they now are resorting to advertising. B/C Autocheck is more reliable and telling the truth about the vehicle and people are using it more. CarFax is useless.

Sad these people are getting in this mess but if the price is too good to be true it usually is. The Auction is a big big big business and laws vary state to state. For instance I can go to Utah and get a damn Tag and new title for like $18.

People wonder why they see all these BMW, Lexus, Benz etc on all these Suburu, Kia, Dons used car lot looking all new. Its b/c they were likely in an accident, flooded, etc.

Very sad.

Old 06-01-09, 10:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Carfax is popular due to its marketing. I will use Autocheck next time, but even then I'm going to have the car checked out thoroughly. It's a small price to pay, especially when buying used cars.
Old 06-01-09, 11:23 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy new.. You will be the first to break in the car & will not have to worry about carfax issues..
Old 06-01-09, 11:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Buy new.. You will be the first to break in the car & will not have to worry about carfax issues..
Sad statement. Not everyrone can afford a new car. Not everyone wants the depreciation of a new car. Some rather wait and buy a used car.

On top of that new cars can be just as problematic as used cars. They have recalls, issues etc. Buying NEW over used is the not the issue here.

The issue here is bastard used car lots making ALL used car lots look bad by LYING about titles and selling cars that have frame damage. The other issue is the bastard CarFax lying and not reporting the issues these cars have.

Wow, so everyone should buy a new car.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/bu.../31car.html?em

Seems Americans should buy used and not new.

Old 06-01-09, 11:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Video about bad car dealers and carfax in Atlanta. Check out the carfax rep as well.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/19086976/detail.html

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/investigat...16/detail.html

Avoid the following dealer if your looking for a used car in Atlanta. Atlanta used car center both locations, Atlanta Auto Leasing, Alpha Carz, Ga Best Car deals, Ga Best Motors and few others. You need to Run Autocheck before buying these cars. Dont depend on Carfax to uncover frame damages history. These guys buy junk. If you ran an Autocheck on any vehicle they got and it came back clean that just means its not frame uni body damage. It doesn't mean it hadn't been in an accident or flood. There is always a reason why a dealer can get a car a lot cheaper than the rest. If a deal is too good to be true it probably is.

Hopefully a full disclosure law is passed in GA soon.
Wow that's crazy I was looking up some of those very same dealers for getting another daily and like some of the cars they had. Oh well.
Old 06-01-09, 11:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the same bone head CarFax rep that was grilled in the Canadian TV report a few months back.

When I posted a link on another forum to that CATV report, another person replied that the CarFax reports are only suspect in Canada, but fine in the US. Guess not.
Old 06-01-09, 11:55 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's the same bone head CarFax rep that was grilled in the Canadian TV report a few months back.

When I posted a link on another forum to that CATV report, another person replied that the CarFax reports are only suspect in Canada, but fine in the US. Guess not.
Hahah sure is didn't know anyone would remember. That smile kills me.
Old 06-01-09, 02:04 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, never, ever buy a used car from a wholesaler. They are ALL a complete ripoff. There's a reason why that 2008 GS430 is on their lot to begin with and the reason aint pretty. It's usually a total loss recovery that went through a complete and total substandard repair, Theft recovery, odometer roll back, ore something else you don't want to know about. I literally hate wholesalers and everything they stand for. Every one of them is out for a quick buck, that's it. When I lived in San Diego, every year, the Feds would raid dozens of wholesale lots for illegal odometer roll backs, illegal, uncertified smog checks, illegal titling and so forth. They'd close them all down, but they would just pop up a few weeks later under a different name. They would come into our body shop on a daily basis looking for borderline or complete total losses. They would then speak with the manager to get the owners phone numer so they could call the owner and make an offer before the insurance company has a chance to write it off. Bingo! no salvage title, and the car is now legally owned by the *** clown to repair at hack and whack auto body so it could go on his lot.

Oh, BTW, CarFax is useless. Who's job is it to report vehicle damage to CarFax? Ask CarFax, and *they* can't even tell you! They are literally, a joke.
Old 06-01-09, 04:31 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the past few months I've work on about 6 cars or help another techs figured out the problem that the customers complaints. Most of them were electrical or noise related. All of these cars were bought from used car lot or some Japanese car dealers that can not sell their own products so they went out and bought a lot of Lexus(don't want to named name,but you guys should know the Japanese car that can not sell).

Well, one 2006 GS430 with " Cruise control in-op and window in-op" turn out to be a hurricane victim that originate in Florida. I found sand under the carpet, rusted seat track and rusted passenger side air bag, yes the water was all the way up to the top of the dash. Good thing I didn't see crap crawling inside the car.

An 2005 LS430 with bad vibration at all speed, well, the engine mount and transmission was push back about 1/2 inch. The bodyshop managed to put everything back together in one piece. Oh, the brake booster was bent too and not flush to the firewall.

An 2006 RX330 with door ajar light and dome light comes on when the customer make the left turn. I found out that the passenger side has too much bondo, body and roof line not line up caused the door to move during the turn.

An 2003 LS430 with driver side window inoperative. We'd notice the fresh paint job on driver door, new door panel, new glass, new windshield and new driver seat. We remove the door panel and see two bullet holes inside the door frame. We check the history of the car and found out the car came from Washington,D.C area.
These are just a few examples of the cars that sold at local Atlanta dealers....
Old 06-01-09, 05:30 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

This is why I inspect every car I buy, some even call me crazy for looking at every detail, it's better to find a problem before buying then later down the road.
Old 06-01-09, 06:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I agree with you. The only used car I might buy would be from someone I know. And like.
Old 06-02-09, 06:25 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They did state in the investigations that they offererd carfax history reports and that there cars were carfax certified, they didn't state that there cars were Autocheck certified. But like the news reporter said, if the auctions were making announcements stating that a particular vehicle had frame damage; then obviously the dealer should have stated this to the interested party, or make a provision on the BOS that this vehicle had prior damage and that the customer is aware of the history. I do this all the time with vehicles I sell with previous salvage history; even though NONE of the vehicles I sell have frame damage; autocheck/carfax sensationalizes what they refer to as frame damage which in my opinion is bull****.
Old 06-02-09, 06:30 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't I post some sort of video thing or link about carfax a while back?
Old 06-03-09, 06:43 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Sucks! I WILL NEVER buy used in Atlanta Again. That is ridiculous .

Quick Reply: Can't buy a used car in Atlanta