Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Old Man yelled at me...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 06:38 AM
Revenge Motorsports
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Only in America is there such a lack of respect for the elderly, it shows where our next generation is heading and the lack of social values.
Agreed.........
Old 06-02-09, 07:17 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Only in America is there such a lack of respect for the elderly, it shows where our next generation is heading and the lack of social values.
I agree
Old 06-02-09, 10:11 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Why do you have a vanity plate when you know you'll be concerned about people recognizing your car in certain situations?
I'll ignore that question.

Hopefully that wasn't towards me..
I respect the elderly... I just didn't see him between two trees. IF I saw him, obviously I would have slowed down.
Old 06-02-09, 01:30 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

people are just weird sometimes. no disrespect to old people. i remember this one time this old women was driving 30-35 on a 45 road and braking randomly ..first i followed her for an mile thinking she was lost or gona make a turn anytime but no. There was whole bunch of people behind me too. She was just plain dangerous driving like a drunk, so i just overtook her by the side road. She was furious about it and then she followed me for few mins and i could see that she on the phone .
i was thinking she is probably calling cops on me ..lol well nothing happened.
you should be fine, that old person probably got scared and thought you were going maybe 50...
Originally Posted by Amini9
I'll ignore that question.

Hopefully that wasn't towards me..
I respect the elderly... I just didn't see him between two trees. IF I saw him, obviously I would have slowed down.
Old 06-02-09, 04:09 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you that naive that you think you can speed and slow down when you see people or don't? I keep reading this thread and I can't believe some the answers. You didn't see the guy so you though it ok to speed? Tell that to the judge when you hit a child after he/she runs out from behind some trees b/c you "didn't see them" and you would "have slowed down" if you had of know he/she was not there. You have heard the expression "expect the unexpected"?
Old 06-02-09, 04:22 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Are you that naive that you think you can speed and slow down when you see people or don't? I keep reading this thread and I can't believe some the answers. You didn't see the guy so you though it ok to speed? Tell that to the judge when you hit a child after he/she runs out from behind some trees b/c you "didn't see them" and you would "have slowed down" if you had of know he/she was not there. You have heard the expression "expect the unexpected"?
Wow, you're right.
Old 06-02-09, 04:51 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

however in America, the elderly don't really give a rats *** about the younger generation. Just look at the AARP, they want short term goals that hurt the long term.

as for the original poster...

slow down ....
Old 06-02-09, 05:47 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

absolutely right.

I also totally agree with your opinion about some of the unbelievable responses to this thread.
Old 06-02-09, 06:04 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

It's the elderly's slowed perception of time that makes your car appear to be going fast to them. Just ignore them. They COULD call the cops but most people are satisfied after a good shout.
Old 06-02-09, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

heh. I should think about slowing down then..
Do more than just think about it.

And here's a tip: If you have wheels and tires with larger-than-stock outside rolling diameter, and don't use a speedometer/odometer correction kit, both of them could read too low......making you think you are going slower than you really are. That's why I generally recommend keeping stock (or equivalent tires).
Old 06-02-09, 08:36 PM
LexFather

While I agree our social values seem to be dropping daily, its NOT ONLY in America.

Old 06-02-09, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
It's ok. A lot of old people have their heads shoved up their A$$ and think they come first before everyone else.
you mean like you do about your generation?

Some old man called me a lazy kid under his breath because I didn't hold the door for him, even though I was far away and didn't have time to wait and hold the door.
yeah, some old people are cranky.

Yeah I bet that old man doesn't know how to use a phone. Might as well use a telegraph....
cheap shot. if you make it that far, it's amusing to know that some young people then will talk about you the same disrespectful way.

Amini9 didn't see the older person until it was 'too late' but slowed down after... and sure, 35 is more than 25, but it's not crazy fast. in dense residential side streets i really try not to speed these days, and NEVER speed in school zones, even though it's annoying to put put along at 15 or 20 or whatever.
Old 06-02-09, 09:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

so do you NEVER speed in your LS600hL or other vehicles?
Old 06-03-09, 12:09 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so do you NEVER speed in your LS600hL or other vehicles?
I will tell you in advance to save any confusion we have speed limits as low as about 12mph in residential areas and on a main double lane road (4 lanes total with a center medium strip, non residential) the speed limit is 30 mph for 90% of the country. Toll ways and highways are for the most part 30-50mph and in some special sections (which you could count on one hand ) the limit is 60 mph.

So to answer your question , give or take a few miles under and over, no I don't speed. I know the road environment is different to the States, but roads are much narrower here hense the lower speed limits, but you would be crazy to speed anywhere where pedestrians are. I don't care about tickets , that is not why I don't speed, there are so many pedestrians here especially elementry school kids that walk to school that don't have a clue that it hurts to be hit by a car. Even the high school kids on bikes ride 2 and 3 abreast on roads that have no foot paths and only enough room for a singe car going each way. BTW am no grumpy old fart that just wants to say his peice, I am in my early thirties, but I will tell what changed my attitude. I saw a group of kids get creamed by a younger driver who thought it would be cool to speed through streets due to the fact that he did not have enough braking distance. Luckly no one died but their were very serious injuries in that crash.

BTW the IS-F is the wifes car.
Old 06-03-09, 02:35 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Amini9 didn't see the older person until it was 'too late' but slowed down after... and sure, 35 is more than 25, but it's not crazy fast. in dense residential side streets i really try not to speed these days, and NEVER speed in school zones, even though it's annoying to put put along at 15 or 20 or whatever.
Keeping in mind I am beating a dead horse here, it was not the speeding part that "really" worried me, it was the response that "the man was not seen" so it was ok to be doing 35mph. I am assuming that along this line of thought that it would be considered ok to speed if you did not see anyone in the streets, but I am contending that you never know when someone may pull out in front of you or any other of the many scenarios that may end up in a crash. Just my thoughts on the matter...

Quick Reply: Old Man yelled at me...