Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ML 320 Bluetec Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 04:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Nice review, we would get one, but restrictions in New York and high diesel prices prevent us from doing so, i am just wondering, but what is that vehicle in the garage, an x5? Whoes is that?
Old 06-02-09, 06:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yeah looks like an X5...i dont think thats his house. lol
Old 06-02-09, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No need to worry about unscheduled urea refills, looks like Mercedes built in plenty of capacity:

"The AdBlue system injects an aqueous urea solution into the exhaust flow, which releases ammonia (NH3), reducing nitrogen oxides to harmless nitrogen and water in the downstream SCR catalytic converter. Just the right amount of AdBlue for a given engine load and speed is injected to get the greatest reduction of nitrogen oxides. Its tank only needs to be refilled every 10,000 miles during routine maintenance intervals (typical oil-change intervals are 10,000 miles)."

Source - Mercedes-Benz
Generally true, but, obviously, the harder you drive and the more diesel fuel you burn, the quicker the urea tank will run out. 10K miles (or around 15-16 kilometers, in his case) is average......under average driving conditons.
Old 06-02-09, 06:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Generally true, but, obviously, the harder you drive and the more diesel fuel you burn, the quicker the urea tank will run out. 10K miles (or around 15-16 kilometers, in his case) is average......under average driving conditons.
Generally true, but it's a Mercedes so average driving conditions are not how they establish limits.

See below:

"The tank capacity is 28 litres in the R 320 BlueTEC and ML 320 BlueTEC, and 32 litres in the GL 320 BlueTEC. Even under more demanding conditions with a higher AdBlue consumption, e.g. when towing a trailer, this is sufficient to avoid the need for unscheduled refilling stops in the workshop. This means that the customer has no need to concern him- or herself with the AdBlue level in the tank. Should the AdBlue level unexpectedly fall below a certain level nonetheless, the electronics provide a timely warning."

Last edited by IS-SV; 06-02-09 at 06:59 PM. Reason: urea tank capacity
Old 06-02-09, 08:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Nice review, we would get one, but restrictions in New York and high diesel prices prevent us from doing so, i am just wondering, but what is that vehicle in the garage, an x5? Whoes is that?
Yes, that is an X5 in the garage. It's my father's. They drive like no other, but they are a complete PITA to maintain. Can't convince him to get rid of the money pit yet....lol.

Originally Posted by RXSF
yeah looks like an X5...i dont think thats his house. lol
Right again. That's my folks place in the city. We live out here
Attached Thumbnails ML 320 Bluetec Review-isf-20006.jpg  
Old 06-03-09, 04:47 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what does diesel cost up there? in my part of the world, diesel is 30 cents cheaper than 87 gas....

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Yes, that is an X5 in the garage. It's my father's. They drive like no other, but they are a complete PITA to maintain. Can't convince him to get rid of the money pit yet....lol.

that looks like paradise to me! i'm jealous.
Old 06-03-09, 06:12 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
what does diesel cost up there? in my part of the world, diesel is 30 cents cheaper than 87 gas.....
31 cents cheaper here, 54 cheaper than premium...
Old 06-03-09, 06:16 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What restrictions in NY are you referring to?
Old 06-03-09, 06:43 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Keep one thing in mind, though. There are reasons why some manufacturers won't allow NAV screens to be adjusted while the car is moving. It can be distracting and lead to accidents, especially with a complex screen/controls like with Mercedes systems.
I have never used the Benz COMAND system but my E230 has the APS-50 navigation system from Mercedes. It's simple to use and operate but typing in your destination does take time due to the lack of a touchscreen feature.

However, I think it really comes down to the driver. It is his or her responsibility to ensure that whatever action they take behind the wheel doesn't endanger other drivers or close pedestrians. I can operate the APS-50 navigation system while my car is in motion, but I don't. I usually find a spot to pull over and operate the system in peace and quiet. On a few occasions I have operated the system while traveling at high speed or on twisty roads.

Still, I wouldn't advise anyone to operate any type of navigation system, simple or difficult, during driving. The act itself is distracting and dangerous.

I agree with you on the suspension/ride/handling combination.......nobody does it like the Germans. And, among the Germans, nobody does it like BMW. Mercedes does it well (as in your case), but BMW is the King of suspension engineering.
It depends. I think it is a little one-sided to give so much credit to BMW in this area when different manufacturers focus on different aspects of the "driving experience". But, as a whole the Germans are very strong in that department. I suppose they need to be because of their roads and cultural aspects (sportiness and such).

I think BMW does the whole sport suspension engineering part very well but their comfort is generally not very good. I've ridden in 3er and 5er BMW taxis when I first moved to Germany (try finding a BMW taxi in Stuttgart, Mercedes territory!) and compared to their Mercedes counterparts I found their suspensions to be too hard. As a whole BMW suspensions strike me as very nervous on rougher roads. They lack that balance that Lexus and Mercedes suspensions do so well, especially Mercedes. BMW suspensions are designed more for sport, not comfort.

Mercedes, in my experience, does the mix between sport and luxury quite well. The C class that I previously drove and the E class I am currently driving had an excellent balance between sport and comfort, something which most BMWs don't really come close too (more sport, less comfort). The S class suspension for example is always praised left and right, no matter who reviews it. That has got to say something about their suspension engineering capabilities. The new 7 series is great, but most reviews state the suspension is biased towards sport while the comfort aspect has been improved, but doesn't touch the S class and LS.

Porsche is another player in this department as is Audi though most Audi's don't quite seem to come close to the sportiness of a BMW and the comfort of a Mercedes. Lexus and Infiniti are also strong here. The LS and G coupe / sedan are evidence of this.
Old 06-03-09, 06:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

Great photo (nice mountains!) and a nice objective review of the ML. Love your IS-F by the way.
Old 06-03-09, 11:33 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

There is no need to go to the dealer for urea-solution refill. If it runs low during along road trip, just go the rest area and empty your bladder into it.

Congrats on your ML!