Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend: BMW M5 vs Cadillac CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 11:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay we do agree on something. I was worried.
yeah i'm worried about you - you seem to have become a tree hugging slow driver.
Old 06-04-09, 07:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah i'm worried about you - you seem to have become a tree hugging slow driver.
CHANGE YOU CAN'T BeLIEVE IN!!!!
Originally Posted by pvmike1
Great article Mike. I really like the CTS-V. I agree with the article that the car's a bit too shiny for my taste. I had actually pondered the cost of taking off all the chrome bits (grill, emblems, wheels, trim) to cover in a PermaStar black chrome coating. Of course I wanted to do this to an all black CTS-V...

Helmets with PermaStar chrome and black chrome:

The car is sensational. In EVO/Top Gear/Car etc its giving the much more expensive Germans headaches in comparos.

Love the helmets too. Love black chrome.....chrome was my younger flashy Puff Daddy days

Old 06-05-09, 03:00 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count one who would rather take the m5. Price taken out of the equation? M5 is the better car.
Old 06-05-09, 05:12 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
M5 is the better car.
Not according to Motor Trend.
Old 06-05-09, 05:34 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

wow, thanks for that man. Awesome you were able to claify that all for us like you did. I know it took a lot of effort.
Old 06-05-09, 06:33 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
Count one who would rather take the m5. Price taken out of the equation? M5 is the better car.
Why?

Please explain how a car that gets it's azz handed to it in every performance category, has a comparatively sedate interior and still costs $40K more is better?

You can't take the price out of the equation because it is a fact of life. I've been in both and the V is the far better deal. Anyone that tries to justify the M as being the better choice is the epitome of a brand *****.

Sadly, I know this is true, as my father (a diehard Bimmer fan) will consider purchasing a used M5 with me, but not a new V.
Old 06-05-09, 07:51 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CTS-V is absolutely the car I'd pick. Far better performance, more luxurious of a ride, too! The interior is far nicer too IMO. The article mentioned finish issues but in my experience BMWs are certainly no stranger to finish issues either.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I'm not sure why this "identity crisis" is a bad thing?
I agree completely. Who in their right mind would complain that a car is competitive with cars costing 20-30k dollars more, calling it an identity crisis? The CTS-V is fully competitive with the M5 and E63 and yet it costs far less and that's a bad thing?? Wow.
Old 06-07-09, 10:01 AM
allklr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Great article Mike. I really like the CTS-V. I agree with the article that the car's a bit too shiny for my taste. I had actually pondered the cost of taking off all the chrome bits (grill, emblems, wheels, trim) to cover in a PermaStar black chrome coating. Of course I wanted to do this to an all black CTS-V...

Helmets with PermaStar chrome and black chrome:

I just got a black on black one a few days ago, on the cadi forums someone had their rims black chromed and its sharp. There is also someone who color matched the grill/vents with their matte wheels. IMO it looks much better toned down, I just debadged my car. Next up is trying to get my wheels black chromed.
Old 06-07-09, 09:22 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Why?

Please explain how a car that gets it's azz handed to it in every performance category, has a comparatively sedate interior and still costs $40K more is better?

You can't take the price out of the equation because it is a fact of life. I've been in both and the V is the far better deal. Anyone that tries to justify the M as being the better choice is the epitome of a brand *****.

Sadly, I know this is true, as my father (a diehard Bimmer fan) will consider purchasing a used M5 with me, but not a new V.

Uh, it's called an opinion. I like the 5-Series design much better, the exterior AND interior. You are just getting caught up in numbers...And talk about being dramatic..getting it's *** handed to it? Give me a break, a few fractions of a second? Like I said, I like the BMW better, so what? Am I a "brand *****" as you've so subtly tried to label me? You know, there are some people who like the BMW better, you can write off all of those people with whatever immature sandbox lanaguage you want, I'll continue to admire and gloat over the M5, I don't even owe you this much explanation, so consider yourself lucky.
Old 06-07-09, 10:37 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allklr
I just got a black on black one a few days ago, on the cadi forums someone had their rims black chromed and its sharp. There is also someone who color matched the grill/vents with their matte wheels. IMO it looks much better toned down, I just debadged my car. Next up is trying to get my wheels black chromed.
Congrats! I'd love to see pics of the blacked out grill/vents and black chrome wheels - please post a link or some pics.

Here's a link to PermaStar chrome: http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/psinfo.html I hear great things about the finish and durability.
Old 06-07-09, 11:11 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

ROFL! I think those n00bs forgot to press the "M" button for an additional 100HP!!!

L O motha fken L!
Old 06-07-09, 11:21 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
Originally Posted by FKL
Uh, it's called an opinion. I like the 5-Series design much better, the exterior AND interior. You are just getting caught up in numbers...And talk about being dramatic..getting it's *** handed to it? Give me a break, a few fractions of a second? Like I said, I like the BMW better, so what? Am I a "brand *****" as you've so subtly tried to label me? You know, there are some people who like the BMW better, you can write off all of those people with whatever immature sandbox lanaguage you want, I'll continue to admire and gloat over the M5, I don't even owe you this much explanation, so consider yourself lucky.
Wow. That time of the month?

I re-quoted your previous post so that you can see that you posted a statement not an opinion.

How am I getting caught up in numbers? I've actually shopped for both cars and can tell you that the numbers don't lie. The V is the only sedan, ever to break the 8 minute mark on the 'Ring.

For anyone to make a general statement that the M5 is simply a better car, essentially because it's a BMW is ridiculous and the definition of "brand whoor". There are many people who do like the M5 better, but it's for subjective reasons, not because it outperforms the V.

Had you said that you preferred the M5, even though it can't match the V's performance for $40K more, then that would have been an opinion.

But I guess I should feel lucky that you took the time to provide an opinion that holds so much weight on this forum.
Old 06-08-09, 12:16 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't care.

i just can't get past that tiny triangle back door window.

everything past the B pillar is unproportional
Old 06-08-09, 12:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

i am just happy to have performance options that we currently have in sedans. This is a tall guys dream. supercar performance with headroom