Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

May 2009 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 10:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
lexus GS is teh suck again.

how did bmw outsell it by 8 to 1 this time.....

usually it's only 4 to 1

can 3.9% financing really move that many cars?
We have been over this. 5 has higher sales goals. 5 has many more variants including a base 528 model and wagons and M5. 5 always has lease deals and now very low financing. Even when the GS was new it was never meant to sell like a 5.

The 5 is simply vanilla aka bread and butter in this segment.

Old 06-03-09, 12:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

what a dismal month...

fortunately for lexus in particular the ES, IS, and RX are still pretty strong. everything else... not. lexus MUST step up the other models if it wants to improve sales. even though genesis is only selling 2k a month, i'd bet that's a direct hit to lexus sales.
Old 06-03-09, 05:14 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Poor GS

usually it's only 4 to 1

The GS just gets no love but I mean really people, do you think that sales are just going to magically pick up before the redesign? Much like the RL, sales are going to steadily decline until the next generation debuts ... w/ Infiniti M apparently launching its latest version in 2010 hopefully the GS will not be far behind.
Old 06-03-09, 06:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
The GS just gets no love but I mean really people, do you think that sales are just going to magically pick up before the redesign? Much like the RL, sales are going to steadily decline until the next generation debuts ... w/ Infiniti M apparently launching its latest version in 2010 hopefully the GS will not be far behind.
2GS was 8 years, so 4GS may not be out until what, 2013?
Old 06-03-09, 06:51 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Bmw

BMW, the makers of the ‘Ultimate Driving Machines,’ has over taken Toyota’s Lexus brand to become the best-selling luxury marquee in the U.S. so far this year. According to Autodata Corp., Lexus has held the title since 2000, but sales are now down 37.2 percent.

BMW, which hasn’t held the No.1 title in the U.S. since 1997, also beat German rival Mercedes-Benz. While BMW sales are also down 30.5 percent, it sold more units than Lexus coming in with a total of 76,819 through the month of May. Lexus sold 73,186.

Nonetheless, luxury automakers still have many months to go before the year is over. Lexus has just rolled out its new 2010 RX 350 SUV and is also looking to introduce its first dedicated hybrid model, the HS 250h, by the end of the summer.

Oh, and Volkswagen-owned Bentley and Daimler’s Maybach - your uber-luxury brands - are down 60 percent so far this year. Maybach sold only three vehicles in May.
Old 06-03-09, 07:58 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus is really taking a beating.
Old 06-03-09, 08:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Last week, I took my car into the dealership for the 3yr/36K service. I brought it in at 8:00 AM, and was the only person there at that time. No one in the waiting area either.

When I picked it up at 1:00 it was the same situation - One person in the waiting area.

I booked the service appointment online the night before, no problem gettng a loaner at that late hour. This is a pretty large dealership too.

I can see in this economy that sales and non-warrranty service are no doubt hurting.
Old 06-03-09, 09:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Good job by Ford, Fusion sales in May were close to the Accord. Fusion sales were higher than the Altima. Altima sales have taken a big hit.

Looking at the entire mid-size segment for May, Accord sales were not that great. Camry sales were spectacular for this market. Over 30K in this sort of market. Camry in May clobbered every other competitor in sales.

ES, IS, and RX continue to do very well. RX sales are unreal in this market. RX in May outsold the entire Infiniti brand!

Originally Posted by Och
Guys, I think I figure it all out, I know why cars are selling slow now... Its because they got too expensive. Seriously, Camry/Accord with decent options are now 30k cars... TL/G/IS are now 40k cars, TSX is a 33k car, and so on.

We have cars that rose in price 4-6k from the last model. No wonder nobody wants them.
Uh no. Sales are down simply because of the economy and people spending less and making less big purchases.

usually it's only 4 to 1

All this criticism and picking on of the GS gets so tiring and monotonous .

What about the Audi A6? If the GS is "teh suck", I don't think there are even any words to describe the A6. Isn't the A6 more of a direct 5 Series competitor than the GS? A6 sales overseas are good, which makes A6 North American sales even more lame duck.

Guess what, the Lexus LS outsold the 7 Series by 28%. Oh no, it's the end of the world for BMW .

Let's cut out the ridiculously one-sided criticism of the GS, shall we?

The Lexus RX outsold all competitors by a HUGE margin. The RX in May simply destroyed the X5, MDX, and M-Class sales. It actually outsold all 3 combined.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what a dismal month...

fortunately for lexus in particular the ES, IS, and RX are still pretty strong. everything else... not. lexus MUST step up the other models if it wants to improve sales. even though genesis is only selling 2k a month, i'd bet that's a direct hit to lexus sales.
Oh no, The Genesis almost sold as much in May as the E-Class. What a dismal month for Mercedes, the sky is falling for them!

Two completely different market segments. It's silly to even *attempt* to try and compare Genesis sales with GS sales, or any other premium luxury segments. IS, ES, and RX sales are strong, so obviously the Genesis is not affecting the entry-level segment for Lexus.

Whether you, anyone else, or Hyundai likes it or not, Genesis is in the entry-level segment (at best). You can argue just as much that Genesis is not even in the true luxury segment, but the near-luxury segment.

GS sales were suffering way before the Genesis came out.

I'd bet you anything that Genesis sales are NOT a direct hit to Lexus. I bet you Genesis sales are more of a direct hit to Buick, Infiniti, Volvo, Acura, and Lincoln. Before you bring up Lincoln sales figures, Lincoln is attracting a lot of new customers, a lot of people are downgrading from other brands to Lincoln, which would offset the impact the Genesis would have on the brand.

How many people on CL do you know that have traded in a GS for a Genesis? Circumstantial, but it would point to a trend.

Yes, Lexus DOES need to step it up on many of their models, but this one-sided criticism of Lexus and of the GS is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 06-03-09 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 09:15 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what a dismal month...

fortunately for lexus in particular the ES, IS, and RX are still pretty strong.
I don't know about that. ES was down 37% and IS about 44%. Take away the RX, which seems to be a solid hit, barely down in this bad economy, the rest of the Lexus lineup was down about 49% compared to last May.
Old 06-03-09, 09:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Acura's RDX CUV is selling well vs. the others in the segment. 4,090 in May vs. 1,759 GLK and 1,413 Q5 the leading sellers.

It's probably a notch below them in prestige, but getting some good sales #'s.
Old 06-03-09, 09:46 AM
LexFather

BMW, the makers of the ‘Ultimate Driving Machines,’ has over taken Toyota’s Lexus brand to become the best-selling luxury marquee in the U.S. so far this year. According to Autodata Corp., Lexus has held the title since 2000, but sales are now down 37.2 percent.

BMW, which hasn’t held the No.1 title in the U.S. since 1997, also beat German rival Mercedes-Benz. While BMW sales are also down 30.5 percent, it sold more units than Lexus coming in with a total of 76,819 through the month of May. Lexus sold 73,186.

Nonetheless, luxury automakers still have many months to go before the year is over. Lexus has just rolled out its new 2010 RX 350 SUV and is also looking to introduce its first dedicated hybrid model, the HS 250h, by the end of the summer.

Oh, and Volkswagen-owned Bentley and Daimler’s Maybach - your uber-luxury brands - are down 60 percent so far this year. Maybach sold only three vehicles in May.
Yes something myself and others stated last year. BMW has a great chance of taking the sales crown this year.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Good job by Ford, Fusion sales in May were close to the Accord. Fusion sales were higher than the Altima. Altima sales have taken a big hit.

Looking at the entire mid-size segment for May, Accord sales were not that great. Camry sales were spectacular for this market. Over 30K in this sort of market. Camry in May clobbered every other competitor in sales.

ES, IS, and RX continue to do very well. RX sales are unreal in this market. RX in May outsold the entire Infiniti brand!

Uh no. Sales are down simply because of the economy and people spending less and making less big purchases.

All this criticism and picking on of the GS gets so tiring and monotonous .

What about the Audi A6? If the GS is "teh suck", I don't think there are even any words to describe the A6. Isn't the A6 more of a direct 5 Series competitor than the GS? A6 sales overseas are good, which makes A6 North American sales even more lame duck.

Guess what, the Lexus LS outsold the 7 Series by 28%. Oh no, it's the end of the world for BMW .

Let's cut out the ridiculously one-sided criticism of the GS, shall we?

The Lexus RX outsold all competitors by a HUGE margin. The RX in May simply destroyed the X5, MDX, and M-Class sales. It actually outsold all 3 combined.

Oh no, The Genesis almost sold as much in May as the E-Class. What a dismal month for Mercedes, the sky is falling for them!

Two completely different market segments. It's silly to even *attempt* to try and compare Genesis sales with GS sales, or any other premium luxury segments. IS, ES, and RX sales are strong, so obviously the Genesis is not affecting the entry-level segment for Lexus.

Whether you, anyone else, or Hyundai likes it or not, Genesis is in the entry-level segment (at best). You can argue just as much that Genesis is not even in the true luxury segment, but the near-luxury segment.

GS sales were suffering way before the Genesis came out.

I'd bet you anything that Genesis sales are NOT a direct hit to Lexus. I bet you Genesis sales are more of a direct hit to Buick, Infiniti, Volvo, Acura, and Lincoln. Before you bring up Lincoln sales figures, Lincoln is attracting a lot of new customers, a lot of people are downgrading from other brands to Lincoln, which would offset the impact the Genesis would have on the brand.

How many people on CL do you know that have traded in a GS for a Genesis? Circumstantial, but it would point to a trend.

Yes, Lexus DOES need to step it up on many of their models, but this one-sided criticism of Lexus and of the GS is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Great post.

The GS has gotten tons of love. Its selling slow like the majority of cars in that class. Please do not compare it to the RL. The RL (along with Q45) has such a stench of failure for a luxury car that the LA Clippers wouldn't drive it for free. Since 1996 the car has sold poorly and been poorly recieved. Its never met sales goals its some V-6 flagship whatever that is. To make matters worse if you read any review on it in Europe, things get worse. I find it funny for anyone to take any joy in the GS not selling well when the RL has NEVER sold well in over 13 years.

The Fuga should debut soon so the M37/50 will soon. Infiniit has short replacement cycles for a luxury brand. They better do something fast b/c sales are awful even with near class leading lease deals and financing rates.

Honda and Toyota are very smart anyway. From my understanding 09 RL Production has pretty much stopped and the GS production has slowed down. It makes no sense to build cars that are not selling.

Old 06-03-09, 09:53 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Default BMW outselling Lexus so far in 2009

I'll admit to not being particularly surprised by this development since, with a lack of a mass-market, less-expensive division, BMW is forced to offer more "killer", potentially money-losing deals just to keep the factories humming...

BMW races to head of premium brands
Marque beats Lexus as the best-seller in U.S. so far this year

Christine Tierney / The Detroit News

The sporty BMW brand has overtaken Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus to become the best-selling premium marque in the United States so far this year.

Lexus has held that honor since 2000, according to Autodata Corp. But it's struggling now, with sales down 37.2 percent.

The last time the BMW brand was No. 1 in the United States for a full year was in 1997, when it also beat its archrival, Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz.

BMW's sales are down, too, this year, but not as much as those of Lexus. Its sales have fallen 30.5 percent to 76,819, slightly ahead of Lexus's 73,186 through the month of May.

"We have been seeing, all year, customers remain cautious, and when they shop for premium products, they are buying brands that have a history of value, dependability and enduring quality," said Jim O'Donnell, president of BMW of North America LLC. "This has helped sales in our core 3 Series, 5 Series and X5 range."

But automakers still have many laps to go before the year is out.

Lexus has recently launched the RX 350 SUV and will roll out a hybrid version next week. It will introduce its first designated Lexus gas-electric hybrid, the HS 250h, toward the end of the summer.

The biggest laggards so far this year? The super-pricey supercars -- sales of VW-owned Bentley and Daimler's Maybach are down more than 60 percent this year.

Daimler sold a mere three Maybachs in May.

BMW races to head of premium brands | detnews.com | The Detroit News
Old 06-03-09, 09:58 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I feel like the GS deserves some advertising time.
Old 06-03-09, 10:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I feel like the GS deserves some advertising time.
I agree. More importantly, the GS deserves a lot more effort and attention from Lexus.
Old 06-03-09, 10:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I think they have cut production on the GS for a long time, and they never had much excess inventory(according to forum posts, there are never many of them available even though their sales volume had been slowing down starting a couple years ago) with the GS, so I don't think Lexus have any interest in pushing this model at all ...

Quick Reply: May 2009 Vehicles Sales