Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, guys, for the various comments on the questionable Ford-Toyota relationship on the hybrid drivetrain. You convinced me enough that I edited the review, at the bottom, to indicate, that the relationship between the two companies in designing the drivetrain may (?) not be exactly as I described it. Exactly what it IS ,though, seems to be confusing, with several different replies.
Old 06-02-09, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by C. McHale
I know you've not test driven the new Prius yet, so obviously you can't judge...but I went with my father (he wants a new car) to test drive the 2010 Prius and I'll just say this: the comfort surprised me. Way better than the outgoing Prius model. I'll dare even say the (leather) seats matched or exceeded those on my ES330 for comfort, at least for the time we drove it.

Rear-seat headroom also did not appear to be a problem, though that's partly due to the Prius' bulbous design.
Did your dad buy a new Prius? It is not available in my area yet, though we've had the new Honda Insight for about two months now. I was impressd enough, though, with the new Fusion Hybrid to say that the new Prius will probably have its work cut out for it. However, I'm sure the Prius is more comfortable than the new Insight. The Insight, by hybrids standards, though excercising Honda's superb assembly quality as usual, was obviously built to a budget....that's how they kept the price to 20K. Its interior is nothing but solid hard plastic almost everywhere.
Old 06-02-09, 04:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

(Hopefully, this doesn't turn into too much of a debate...)

Mike, excellent review as usual.

And I want to ask your opinion, as an auto enthusiast and consumer, regarding the CAFE Standards that are set for 2016.

Now, I don't want to argue about the idea, but rather prepare for it.

If the Ford Fusion hybrid is a sample of the "future", what are some concerns regarding automotive engineering and production should we be keeping an eye on? In your opinion, what should automakers focus on as they prepare to build vehicles that need to meet/exceed the CAFE Standards? Do you foresee any "backlashes" regarding these changes?
Old 06-02-09, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, excellent review as usual.
Thanks.

And I want to ask your opinion, as an auto enthusiast and consumer, regarding the CAFE Standards that are set for 2016.
I think it is too much of an increase, too soon. It takes generally 2-4 years to design and perfect a new vehicle, and, in this case, we're talking vehicles, that, by necessity, with this new standard, could be substantially different from what we have today, especially in the powertrain department. This is going to put strains on GM and Chrysler, especially, two companies that are recovering from bankrupcy. Desopite GM's Volt extrended-range hybrid, they are still going to have to spend a lot of money on research and development. That could very likely be the money that they will need to pay other bills instead. If those bills don't get paid, we could see them in bankrupcy AGAIN.

However, the new CAFE standard may (finally) spur on something we should have started to do years ago......develop an alternate-fuel network nationwide that would supplement the gasoline-station network we have now. Brazil did it a long time ago for ethanol, and is reaping the benefits for it today. If we had an adequate refilling-station infrastructure for ethanol, natural gas, propane, compressed-hydrogen, diesel fuel, and advanced, quick-charging stations for electric cars, then CAFE standards would be redundant.....we would have a fleet of cars that used NO gasoline at all.

Ethanol, of course, is not an efficient fuel, as it has less energy per gallon than gasoline and doesn't get the same mileage, but it is extremely clean-burning, non-polluting, and leaves the engine and fuel system much cleaner than gasoline, with no carbon or gum deposits. It is also somewhat safer and less volatile than gasoline....but when it DOES catch fire, it burns wth a very light-blue flame that is very hard to see, as opposed to gasoline's bright orange flame.

Now, I don't want to argue about the idea, but rather prepare for it.
The best way we as a nation can prepare for it, IMO, as I said above, is to get to work on alternate-fuel stations. I don't want to dictate to you personally as to how you, as an individual, should prepare for it, but, since you wanted my opinion, you are already at least part-way there with your
motorcycle....at least in good weather (if you will accept the lack of crash-protection with a motorcycle). But if you, like a lot of people, like classic muscle-cars, high-powered sport sedans, large, heavy luxury cars, and heavy-duty pickup trucks, I'd consider getting one in the next couple of years....by the end of the decade, their existance as we know them could be history.

If the Ford Fusion hybrid is a sample of the "future", what are some concerns regarding automotive engineering and production should we be keeping an eye on? In your opinion, what should automakers focus on as they prepare to build vehicles that need to meet/exceed the CAFE Standards?
I think, despite ramblings from companies like Exxon that say we will still be using petroleum-powered vehicles for the next 100 years (which is nonsense), that, as far as petroleum vehicles go, hybrids and diesels will play a much larger role in the near future than they do now........but ultimately, we will have to turn to other sources.....propane, natural gas, pure-electrics, ethanol, compressed-hydrogen, etc.....

Do you foresee any "backlashes" regarding these changes?
Depends on the electorate. The majority of the country seems to be supporing Obama and most of his policies right now (presumably, including the new CAFE standard), but that could change if we don't get to work on alternate-fuel sources and most of us end up having to drive around in little, gas burning, 40-MPG, Munchkin-mobiles. Americans, for the most part (though not all) traditionally have shown an aversion to very small cars. That is one of the reasons I like the Fusion Hybrid. It offers a reasonable amount of size and comfort, while meeting or exceeding the 36 MPG standard. And if GM and Chrysler, as I hinted at above, go bankrupt AGAIN because they are forced to spend too much money, too soon, on high-mileage and non-petroleum cars, there could be a backlash from that, too. Chrysler, though, will probably have access to Fiat's small-car, 40-MPG fleet.....IF Americans will buy them. Fiat was forced out of the country in the 1980's by shoddy quality and unreliability. And, I know I sound repititious here, but if American companies DO spend the money for alterate-fuel cars and DON'T go bankrupt doing it (which is a big "if", then we better have the infrastructure in place for those non-petroleum cars)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-09 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 07:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review!

I'm a big fan of the new Fusion. I still can't believe what Ford has accomplished here (beating Toyota at it's own fuel efficiency game).

And I drool a little bit when I see it's front end - it's perfect imo.
Old 06-02-09, 07:56 PM
LexFather

Great review Mike on a great vehicle. Do you think you were really attracted to the dash/odometer as its different? I am assuming under 30k its a steal?

I think its a no-brainer in this segment. You don't lose much and only gain with this car. 700 miles to a tank! Incredible!

Old 06-03-09, 12:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

great job as always.

you should take the time to learn about sync though. even if not your thing, it would be good fro you to at least be familiar with it. it's state of the art.
Old 06-03-09, 04:03 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
700 miles to a tank! Incredible!
And that number will probably be for the non-conservative drivers.

You can achieve much more with proper efficiency techniques. The recently posted article posted here showed a team getting 1400 miles from a single tank under more extreme measures.
Old 06-03-09, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Nice review!

I'm a big fan of the new Fusion. I still can't believe what Ford has accomplished here (beating Toyota at it's own fuel efficiency game).

And I drool a little bit when I see it's front end - it's perfect imo.
Thanks.

It doesn't quite beat the new Prius at the fuel-miser game, but, like I said above, I'll be surprised if the Prius offers this level of comfort.

The multi-chrome-bar grille, to some extent, brings back the 1950s and 60s. In fact, much of the general styling theme, as with the larger Five Hundered (Taurus), comes from the 1965 Ford Galaxie (which I remember well)
Old 06-03-09, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great review Mike on a great vehicle.
Thanks.

Do you think you were really attracted to the dash/odometer as its different? I am assuming under 30k its a steal?
Yes, The hybrid-gauge package, in general, looks like a circus, both behind the steering wheel and in the center-dash, but I did like the simple, analog, easy-to-read speedometer.

I think its a no-brainer in this segment. You don't lose much and only gain with this car. 700 miles to a tank! Incredible!
It has a stysem in the electronics that figures out your average driving habits and constantly adjusts things for the best possible mileage. It can be programmed to different levels for those who don't necessarily want the best fuel mileage. With that, and sensible driving, the Ford people say that the EPA ratings can easily be exceeded.
Old 06-03-09, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great job as always.
Thanks.

you should take the time to learn about sync though. even if not your thing, it would be good fro you to at least be familiar with it. it's state of the art.
Perhaps. I may be good as a general car reviewer, but I'm a good 20-25 years older than guys like you and Mike....and hi-tech stuff is generally not my thing. And, of course, I don't listen much to state-of-the-art music either. I'm a 80s-Metalhead guy, with groups like Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, etc....

But, you have a point............
Old 06-03-09, 11:32 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I'd be interested to see what this powertrain could do when connected to a smaller engine...or an ecoboosted engine.
Old 06-03-09, 12:11 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I'd be interested to see what this powertrain could do when connected to a smaller engine...or an ecoboosted engine.
I think there's a lot of potential still as you mentioned. We know Ford will have the Ecoboost V6 out soon for use in the Lincoln MKS and Ford Flex. There hasn't been as much info out on the Ecoboost I4 engine. But it is one Ford is working on. It does seem like you can have quite an incredible engine/powertrain combo if you took an ecoboosted I4 mated with the hybrid system.
Old 06-03-09, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
This is a rather small gas engine as it is, by American standards......only 2.5L. But it has the special Atkinson combustion cycle, which you don't see much of, except for some hybrids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-03-09 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 12:35 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is a rather small gas engine as it is, by American standards......only 2.5L. But it has the special Atkinson combustion cycle, which you don't see very much of.
But, a 2.5L is a pretty large 4 cylinder.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid