Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 12:44 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did your dad buy a new Prius? It is not available in my area yet, though we've had the new Honda Insight for about two months now. I was impressd enough, though, with the new Fusion Hybrid to say that the new Prius will probably have its work cut out for it. However, I'm sure the Prius is more comfortable than the new Insight. The Insight, by hybrids standards, though excercising Honda's superb assembly quality as usual, was obviously built to a budget....that's how they kept the price to 20K. Its interior is nothing but solid hard plastic almost everywhere.
No, but after the test drive he really, really wants to. I tried to convince him to test some competition (Fusion Hybrid and Jetta TDI) before he made a decision, but he wouldn't be swayed.

We test drove a Prius IV (no nav), and it handled surprisingly well...much more like a normal car. The turn radius is insane. Though there were none there to actually test, my dad wants to get a Prius V, in part due to my own influence. Those LEDs headlights do look really spiffy...

He did see a Prius V at another dealer (already sold to someone else) and he instantly wanted it. This other dealership is expecting a Prius V to arrive soon, and that's when he'll likely buy it.

I'm still kind of new to *really* inspecting the interior of cars, but from my little bit of testing, the plastics seem to be of medium quality in this new Prius. I liked the feel of the buttons and the overall feedback. However, the placement of the button for the heated seats is, uh, counter-intuitive. Rear seat room was actually quite good. Overall the interior I'd say is a mixed bag. Could be better, could be worse.

I'll be interested to see your own write up when you get to test one.
Old 06-03-09, 08:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

It doesn't quite beat the new Prius at the fuel-miser game, but, like I said above, I'll be surprised if the Prius offers this level of comfort.
Of course. I was just referring to the Fusion Hybrid eclipsing the Camry Hybrid's FE numbers as these two compete. Hopefully people don't compare the Prius with the Fusion H as they are two completely different cars.
Old 06-03-09, 09:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I may be good as a general car reviewer, but I'm a good 20-25 years older than guys like you and Mike...
i think you're maybe 10-12 yrs older than me. but yeah, i'm a geek.

And, of course, I don't listen much to state-of-the-art music either. I'm a 80s-Metalhead guy, with groups like Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, etc....
nothing wrong with that... hey i was more prog rock - like old genesis, pink floyd, etc.

But, you have a point.....
i just think you should sit in a car with something like sync and just play with it for an hour or so, it's NOT hard. it might not be something you'd buy, but i just think it would round out your encyclopedic knowledge some.
Old 06-04-09, 09:19 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen the Fusion Hybrid in person a few days ago. Ford's done a great job with them, I guess Alan Mulally is working the same magic at Ford as he did at Boeing.
Old 06-04-09, 10:37 AM
LexFather

I am not sure why this car is not #1 on family cars shopping lists. What is the trunk size again?

Old 06-04-09, 10:57 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am not sure why this car is not #1 on family cars shopping lists. What is the trunk size again?
Fusion Hybrid 11.8 cubic ft.
Camry Hybrid 10.6 cubic ft.
Altima Hybrid 10.1 cubic ft.

Non-Hybrid
Fusion 16.5 cubic ft.
Altima 15.3 cubic ft.
Camry 14.5 cubic ft.
Accord 14 cubic ft. (as listed by Honda)

Name recognition is probably one of the factors. Camry and Accord are well known names. Altima is not quite as old but it's in what, it's 4th generation? The Fusion itself is still in its 1st generation. The 2010 being the refresh, but a pretty significant refresh, new engines, new powertrains, some new sheet metal, redesigned interior. That's more than what some do on a new model.
Old 06-04-09, 12:11 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Well, it is already on the top 10 for overall vehicle sales (Fusion models overall). And as I noted in the sales thread, for May, it nearly matched the Accords sales which is remarkable.

This, despite being a "Ford" that so many people stay away from because of the past no matter how good the cars are now.

I think any car educated person who takes a strong look at this car won't be able to ignore it.
Old 06-04-09, 12:30 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

...And, of course, I don't listen much to state-of-the-art music either. I'm a 80s-Metalhead guy, with groups like Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, etc................
This should be REQUIRED driving music... HAIR METAL LIVES!!

NOTHING like blasting Crue, AC/DC, Van Halen, Metallica with the windows down...

Oh yeah... GREAT REVIEW Mike, can't wait to see how it compares to new Prius...
Old 06-04-09, 01:17 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

rdgdawg?? so what car will you end up buying?
Old 06-04-09, 01:19 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

I think he's going to end up buying a dealership
Old 06-04-09, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
I've seen the Fusion Hybrid in person a few days ago. Ford's done a great job with them, I guess Alan Mulally is working the same magic at Ford as he did at Boeing.
Ford's current management (apparantly, including Mulally) is serious about catching up to the Japanese with product quality. Recent Ford products (and Consumer Reports is probably the best source for this) are, on average, more reliable than their GM and Chrysler counterparts (though GM has several good models, too), and seem to be approaching their goal. The Fusion/Milan/MKZ, however, have generally been reliable since their introduction in 2005-2006.
Old 06-04-09, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Remember, though, in hybrids, compared to their conventional twins, the lithium-ion battery pack cuts into at least a little trunk space, and prevents rear-seat folding. In the future, battery packs will probably get more efficient....and take up less space.
Old 06-04-09, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Uote]

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
This should be REQUIRED driving music... HAIR METAL LIVES!!

NOTHING like blasting Crue, AC/DC, Van Halen, Metallica with the windows down...
I sometimes feel strange listening to the head-pounding stuff that teens one-third my age do...but, hey, I like it, at least the music itself. I don't have anything to do, though, with the rock-music life style....drugs, alcohol, illicit sex, etc.....

And most of those 80's musicians themselves are my age now. Brian Johnson, for example, of AC/DC, is 62....several years older then me. Angus Young is 54.

Auto reviews are also, of course, a lot more than just stereo-blasting. You can't properly check engine, exhaust, transmission, road/tire, or wind noise with the audio system on.

Oh yeah... GREAT REVIEW Mike, can't wait to see how it compares to new Prius...
Thanks. I hope the see the new Prius, in this area, in about 4-5 weeks. In the meantime, several other CL posters have commented on it.
Old 06-04-09, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
rdgdawg?? so what car will you end up buying?
Originally Posted by Allen K
I think he's going to end up buying a dealership
Well, there are plenty of dealerships for sale right now.

Seriously, even though he took a lot of time deciding, you can't blame Russ (rdgdawg) for being cautious. He's looked at some pretty expensive cars, which are not chump change, and he is at least doing his homework. Some people make quick decisions, toss large amounts of cash out on upmarket/premium cars, and are later disappointed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-04-09 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 04:49 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Thanks, guys, for the various comments on the questionable Ford-Toyota relationship on the hybrid drivetrain. You convinced me enough that I edited the review, at the bottom, to indicate, that the relationship between the two companies in designing the drivetrain may (?) not be exactly as I described it. Exactly what it IS ,though, seems to be confusing, with several different replies.
Came across this on Autoblog

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid: The most patented car in history

· Leading patent analyst ranks Ford above all other automakers for the quality and significance of its technology patents.

· The 2010 Fusion and Fusion Hybrid – America's most fuel efficient mid-size sedan – sets new standard for technology innovation with 119 U.S. patents and patent applications

A study by the world's leading patent analyst, The Patent Board™, found that Ford Motor Company outperformed all other automakers in the quality and significance of its technology patents.

"Ford's patented technologies are closer to the cutting edge than its competitors," says Christine Wren, director of business development for The Patent Board, which tracks and analyzes patents across 17 industries globally.

Technological innovation is a core value at Ford as the company drives for leadership in quality, safety, fuel efficiency and in-car connectivity. For example, the 2010 Ford Fusion and Fusion Hybrid, which is America's most fuel efficient mid-size sedan, have 119 patents, a record for Ford.

The Patent Board recently issued its Top 10 Innovators in Automotive & Transportation Patent Scorecard™ for the fourth quarter of 2008, which ranks Ford above all other automakers in Research Intensity™ and Industry Impact™. Ford's Research Intensity score, which is more than twice that of the industry average, indicates the extent to which its portfolio includes patents with strong scientific support.

Similarly, The Patent Board's Industry Impact score measures the broader significance and impact of a company's patent portfolio across the industry. This indicator analyzes how other patents build on Ford's innovation by looking at patent-to-patent citations.

"Ford's overall patent portfolio plays a significant role in serving as a foundation for other technology innovation as shown by receiving 20 percent more citations than the average portfolio in this industry," Wren says.

For the Fusion Hybrid, for example, teams of research scientists and engineers developed Ford-exclusive technologies that helped the vehicle achieve a certified 41 mpg in the city, 8 mpg better than the Toyota Camry hybrid.

"Ford is using technology to remake our lineup with the green, high-tech vehicles customers want," says Derrick Kuzak, group vice president, Global Product Development. "The Fusion Hybrid team set the bar high – to develop America's most fuel efficient mid-size sedan – and that's what they delivered."

Patents on the Fusion Hybrid pertain to technologies such as Ford's new-generation hybrid powertrain and SmartGaugeTM with EcoGuide digital instrument cluster that helps coach drivers to achieve better fuel efficiency.

"We focus on getting high-quality patents that have the best breakthrough potential for the company," says Bill Coughlin, president and CEO of Ford Global Technologies.

Specific Fusion and Fusion Hybrid patents include:

· Hybrid technology – The Fusion Hybrid's powertrain system combines the best attributes of the gasoline engine and electric battery-driven motors to deliver the optimal experience for the customer in terms of driving performance and fuel economy. The overall system upgrade allows the hybrid to operate up to 47 mph in pure electric mode, approximately twice as fast as some competitors. The city driving range on a single tank of gas is expected to be more than 700 miles.

· SmartGauge with EcoGuide – This unique instrument cluster helps coach Fusion Hybrid drivers on how to optimize performance of their vehicle for maximum fuel efficiency. It features two, high-resolution, full-color liquid crystal display (LCD) screens on either side of the analog speedometer that can be configured to show different levels of information, including fuel and battery power levels, average and instant mpg report.

· Blind Spot Information System (BLIS™) with Cross Traffic Alert – Ford's new Cross Traffic Alert feature will help warn drivers of impending traffic while backing out by using radars to pick up moving objects within a 65-foot range from either side of the vehicle. Two warnings are given: an indicator lights up in the corresponding outside mirror and an audible alert is sounded. The feature works in conjunction with Ford's radar-based Blind Spot Information System, utilizing this system's two multiple beam radar modules, which are packaged in the rear quarter panels – one per side. The radar identifies when a vehicle enters the defined blind spot zone and illuminates an indicator light on the corresponding sideview mirror providing a warning that a vehicle is approaching.

· EasyFuel™ Capless Fuel-Filler System – This industry-exclusive feature eliminates the need to touch dirty gas caps and helps to reduce evaporative emissions that create smog and global warming. When fueling is completed and the fuel pump nozzle is removed, the system automatically seals shut.

Patenting is a global activity at Ford, with experts in the United States, Europe, India and China sharing common processes and reporting through Ford Global Technologies, LLC, a wholly owned Ford subsidiary responsible for managing Ford's intellectual property worldwide.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid