Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pollution from 15 of world's biggest ships equal that of world's 760m cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 12:09 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
It's too expensive to produce things in the US because of the labor costs and taxes. Not to mention looking @ 4TehNguyen's numbers, that would mean there would have to be at least 6,000 more trucks on the road. Traffic is bad enough as it is
Yeah we should just give GM $50,000,000,000. & they can fix it

Old 06-03-09, 12:15 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

wasn't it al 'hot air' gore who declared the automobile the greatest threat to the planet? what a complete idiot.
+1 and then he jumped into his prius until he got to the private airport and jumped in his private jet back to his massive house with a billion sprinklers.
Old 06-03-09, 12:27 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
+1 and then he jumped into his prius until he got to the private airport and jumped in his private jet back to his massive house with a billion sprinklers.
then his son jumped in his Prius & jeted down a LA freeway at 90+ mph & got pulled over
Old 06-03-09, 02:38 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it means 230 miles when on their journey, not when they're coming into port, the idea being to keep the ship traffic a LONG way from the coast.

this article makes me laugh though.

wasn't it al 'hot air' gore who declared the automobile the greatest threat to the planet? what a complete idiot.

Gore is one of the people doing something to solve a huge problem. don't know why you would call someone like that an idiot.
Old 06-03-09, 02:40 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
what does that have to do with anything? is it his fault we're not building energy efficient homes? his fault we don't have clean burning jet fuel? he brought up some real issues we have to deal with. nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-03-09, 02:44 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Yeah we should just give GM $50,000,000,000. & they can fix it

And that has what to do with the topic?
Old 06-03-09, 03:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
And that has what to do with the topic?
Maybe why this section of the forum looks more like CHIT CHAT.
Old 06-03-09, 08:05 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Remind me why huge commercial ships aren't running on nuclear power again? Aside from the danger of pirates and terrorists, it's a no-brainer......Can fuel grade radiaoactive material even be made into weapons grade?

I blame the greenies for this. F'in greenies.
Old 06-03-09, 09:31 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ren495
what does that have to do with anything? is it his fault we're not building energy efficient homes? his fault we don't have clean burning jet fuel? he brought up some real issues we have to deal with. nothing wrong with that.
making fun of al gore is kind of an inside joke here at CL. I think it happened before you joined. the topic is somewhere in the debate forum archives.

anyways, i was wondering why they don't put solar panels on ships? Realistically i expect maybe 15% of the ship's needs can be met through solar. But every little bit helps right? zzzzz
Old 06-03-09, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by ren495
Gore is one of the people doing something to solve a huge problem. don't know why you would call someone like that an idiot.
a 'huge problem' whose name keeps changing ("global warming", "climate change", "scary stuff"... )

years ago i had the misfortune to read his book "earth in the balance". it was filled with errors, emotion used to attempt to overcome bad statistics and math, etc.

the models on which his "oscar" winning documentary was based (in fairness he didn't create them, he just took the scariest possible outcomes they predicted) have now been largely discredited.

plus he's such a giant hypocrite.

so some may applaud his 'serious commitment' to environmental issues, but he is single-handedly crippling the global economy by lobbying all over for carbon taxes, and carbon credit trading (which gee, he just so happens to have a company that does this).

but hey, i'm all for recycling, conserving, not polluting the air, rivers, soil, seas, etc., but his shrill dire predictions are more dangerous than what he's predicting.

i already said what i think he is so i won't say it again...
Old 06-04-09, 09:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Maybe why this section of the forum looks more like CHIT CHAT.
lmfao......sometimes it gets that way Nothing some Bleach, Tilex and a scrubber can't fix....

Old 06-04-09, 06:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lmfao......sometimes it gets that way Nothing some Bleach, Tilex and a scrubber can't fix....
I was thinking a plunger.........
Old 06-04-09, 06:35 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

a 'huge problem' whose name keeps changing ("global warming", "climate change", "scary stuff"... )

years ago i had the misfortune to read his book "earth in the balance". it was filled with errors, emotion used to attempt to overcome bad statistics and math, etc.

the models on which his "oscar" winning documentary was based (in fairness he didn't create them, he just took the scariest possible outcomes they predicted) have now been largely discredited.

plus he's such a giant hypocrite.

so some may applaud his 'serious commitment' to environmental issues, but he is single-handedly crippling the global economy by lobbying all over for carbon taxes, and carbon credit trading (which gee, he just so happens to have a company that does this).

but hey, i'm all for recycling, conserving, not polluting the air, rivers, soil, seas, etc., but his shrill dire predictions are more dangerous than what he's predicting.

i already said what i think he is so i won't say it again...
Haha, I would like to bring up a comedy act that George Carlin did on this issue.

Simple statement that goes a looooooong way:

The planet will be fine. The people are f*ked.