Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TL looking pretty good

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 01:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The thing is, it doesn't perform like it has all that power. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'drivetrain' because the SH-AWD is one of the best, but the engine is outdated. For however much hp it is, it's very slow for what it is.
Old 06-03-09, 01:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will agree that the drivetrain is not the best. The TL is in fact slow for the amount of power it makes, and it's slower than it's specs suggest or imply.

The problem, as with many Honda/Acura models, is the narrow powerband of the drivetrain. It's tricky to get the most out of a Honda/Acura since most of the power is available only at a narrow RPM range. Due to that, the car's speed in real-life situations is limited.

An engine with a wide powerband is almost essential to top performance.
Old 06-03-09, 03:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Not to mention, its a heavy car. The TL weighs 3699lbs in FWD 3.5L form or 3948lbs SH-AWD 3.7L form.
Old 06-03-09, 03:25 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. Ugly it may be (I'll agree to that...at least on the surface), but, with 305 HP and one of the world's best AWD systems, there is no way you can pan the drivetrain.
I don't know about world's best AWD system. SH-AWD has already proven it is no match for Quattro in snowy conditions, so it is still essentially a nice track tool. The problem is, every review has stated that the car is numb and robotic in it's articulation of grace around a bend. SH-AWD or a RWD IS/3/G? I'd take the latter three.
Old 06-03-09, 03:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I agree. There is so much hype around SH-AWD, but I don't think it's the best, and it's been proven already it's not the best. For the best all-around AWD system, my pick would probably be Quattro, the Haldex XWD system, or Subaru's S-AWD. Mitsubishi's S-AWC is also a very good system.
Old 06-03-09, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
I don't know about world's best AWD system. SH-AWD has already proven it is no match for Quattro in snowy conditions, so it is still essentially a nice track tool. The problem is, every review has stated that the car is numb and robotic in it's articulation of grace around a bend. SH-AWD or a RWD IS/3/G? I'd take the latter three.
Yes, it's a subjective term. When I said "best" AWD, I meant one of the most sophisticated. The SH-AWD is extremely versatile and sophisticated. Subaru, IMO, I agree does the best AWD under 35K (though, in this case, "best" is maybe not the most sophisticated). Above 35K, probably a tie between Audi and Acura.
Old 06-03-09, 04:52 PM
06TLDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree. There is so much hype around SH-AWD, but I don't think it's the best, and it's been proven already it's not the best.
Proven by who?
Old 06-03-09, 04:59 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
What is butt ugly...

I actually like this. Brothas love a nice rear end.. Wow!
Old 06-03-09, 05:03 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06TLDude
Proven by who?
It will take me some time to dig up the sources, but other CL members might be able to post them sooner than me.
Old 06-03-09, 05:07 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me i think the FWD TL is the better looking of the two. I love it in the mayan bronze color posted in the first pic with the Black/Umber interior. The rear is ugly.
Old 06-03-09, 05:14 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
OK, time for your medication bitkahuna Just saw a black TL yesterday, that car looks as ugly coming as it does going. The front shield and the chrome V in back stands out way too much in black.
We actually passed the last gen TL on the highway the other day, followed shortly after by this exact model TL. It was the same color and everything.

Even the wife was appalled at how much worse the new one looks. The only way to describe that color is poo brown....and it certainly fits on this car.
Old 06-03-09, 05:17 PM
06TLDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It will take me some time to dig up the sources, but other CL members might be able to post them sooner than me.
The only AWD comparisons I could find so far.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=435745
Note for the MSN test:
One note about the competitive vehicles that Acura provided—while these tests were not suspect in any way, one needs to keep in mind that Acura was not going to bring any competitive product that performs better than their own vehicles. So while the Acura system appeared better than the competition in all three tests, that's not to say that there aren't other available all-wheel drive systems that would impress as much or more than the Acura system. That said, here is how the tests went.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/0...ive-system.htm

Judging by these reviews, SH-AWD is very capable.
Old 06-03-09, 05:22 PM
06TLDude
Rookie

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
To me i think the FWD TL is the better looking of the two. I love it in the mayan bronze color posted in the first pic with the Black/Umber interior. The rear is ugly.
Huh? Have you seen the stock FWD TL rims? The SH-AWD is diff better looking.

Anyway, hasn't this topic been beaten to death? Maybe the Mods should create a sticky asking if you like the exterior of the new TL.
Old 06-03-09, 05:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

Even the wife was appalled at how much worse the new one looks. The only way to describe that color is poo brown....and it certainly fits on this car.
What's with the brown color, Porsche is trying to push that color on us too lately.
Old 06-03-09, 06:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

i agree front and back of TL are 'homely' i just came across that one and thought from that side view and in that color, it looked decent.

i know they're different target markets, but comparing TL and ES side profiles for example...

Quick Reply: Acura TL looking pretty good