Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TL looking pretty good

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 04:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I keep giving the acura TL time to grow on me and I dont think it ever will. I will bet you that they scrap this model design sooner than later
Old 06-07-09, 09:42 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Here we go again! Blah, blah, blah, Volkswagen. Blah, blah, blah, Volkswagen. Will it ever stop?

The fact is, the TL has more power, more torque, and is faster. I'd love to see a 280HP VW sedan rip off 5.4 to 60. Not gonna happen. The TL, IMO, is superior to the Passat/CC in every way. It's more expensive because it's a higher line automobile, and it shows. The CC has only one thing going for it; It's far better looking than the TL. BTW, the $29K EX-L V6 Accord drives shockingly close to a $40K car, just ask Honda hater, 1SICKLEX. He once said, the new Accord is so good, he can't figure out why Acura even exists.
The Euro-spec Volkswagen Passat CC is has it's 3.6 VR6 FSI mapped for 300HP. The car does 0-60 in 5.3-5.4 seconds again, thanks to both 4-Motion and the dual clutch 6-speed DSG w/ automated launch control. Motor Trend has clocked the CC 3.6 VR6 at 5.6 seconds to 60, this with the 280HP powerplant. So how is this "not gonna happen"? It sounds like your proof is "it's a volkswagen"? LOL, and?? Facts are facts, and the CC competes very favorably with the Acura TL, and in many cases has more advanced technologies. Acura offering Bi-xenon auto leveling/adaptive cornering? Lane departure? Active chassis control? 6-Speed automatic? How about a 6-Speed DSG? Electronic direct fuel injection? What about luxury features like pull-up shades for the rear passenger windows? Or brakes that hold themsevles on hills? How about an automated electric parking brake? Or brake disks that wipe themselves when the rain-sensing wipers sense rain? Again, like I said, the CC competes very favorably and has lots of goodies (in some cases, more) to compete with the supposed "tech-filled" Acura (which ends up equating to nothing more than live traffic and weather --- wait, the CC (and jetta) has this too...woops). I wish the automotive press would wake up and call them on this nonsense. I know I know, Acura touts their ELS sound system - but wait, there's a Dynaudio system in the CC which not only outpowers the Acura, but has more speakers (11 speakers, 600 watts). Now, all of these features show you just why the Passat has always costed more than the Accord or Camry - they simply don't have these features available, hence my "it is a $40,000 car". So is the CC.

Again, I'm just trying to show you the comparison to be made here...Now to be fair, the CC is obviously more tuned towards a refined composure with just enough taut feedback to leave the driver satisfied v. the brash nature of the TL which DOES handle and drive well, especially in it's AWD form, but you pay for this with a harsh ride. The 3-Series has a better tradeoff here.

Last edited by FKL; 06-07-09 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-08-09, 12:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

maybe you should start a passat cc thread?
Old 06-08-09, 12:34 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont think that anyone can really say anything negative about the performance of the Acura. On paper it has all of the same features as the newest cars in this class, solid power, and performance numbers, BUT its ugly as hell. They always say dont judge a book by its cover, well if the cover looks like this I dont even want to open the book. I think the car is almost unanimously hated when it comes to the exterior design.
Old 06-08-09, 01:09 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Na, I got my weekly dose in
Old 06-08-09, 01:21 AM
renren7
Lead Lap

this car's design is fail... 1 year after they introduced the TL type S and they come up with this crap? IMO the type s looked much better
Old 06-08-09, 07:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put a bra on it.
Old 06-08-09, 07:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I've seen about 6 CC's on the road here. But the TL easily outsells CC despite it's ugly exterior.
Old 06-08-09, 08:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I've seen about 6 CC's on the road here. But the TL easily outsells CC despite it's ugly exterior.
TL is Acura's highest volume seller, its supposed to outsell the CC. The CC remember is a Passat with a different body. Considering VWs challenges here, the CC selling 1200 or so a month is pretty damn impressive. The TL has a nationwide $399 a month lease program since February to help sell the car.
80% of TLs are FWD, 20% AWD. I am not sure of the CC mix.

This looks pretty damn good. In person they are very nice to look at. It looks much more luxurious than the TL, which has proportions only Bertha at the circus could like. Here is a good looking TL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OirN6Gs5RA

Last edited by LexFather; 06-08-09 at 08:39 AM.

Old 06-08-09, 08:45 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

The CC is an awesome car until you get a sticker shock...

VW dealers should have an arrow sign besides their CCs that reads: Infiniti dealership, this way...
Old 06-08-09, 08:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
The CC is an awesome car until you get a sticker shock...

VW dealers should have an arrow sign besides their CCs that reads: Infiniti dealership, this way...
Well there is a market for the CC/Genesis/G8/Avalon/Maxima where you get very close to a luxury car or a luxury car without the badge. In this economic climate it is appealing more so than 5 years ago when it was all about big and bling.

I agree the CC price is steep but you do get a pretty solid car. Surely if it was badged "Audi" it would sell even better. I actually wish the A4 looked like the CC, the A4 has looked the same for decades.

What is off concern is VW dealership experience which is usually **** poor and buying a 40k car from them isn't exactly appealing. Acura is hit and miss as well but there is a much better chance of a better experience.

Old 06-08-09, 12:29 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Not since Chris Bangle's BMWs have I seen a whole line of cars as ugly as the current Acuras. The new TL being the ugliest of them all.
Old 06-08-09, 12:36 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

I think the current A5/A4 looks is so much better than the CC. The A5 is pure sex.
Old 06-08-09, 01:39 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh my god I spit the coke out of my mouth when I saw what popped up!!!
Old 06-08-09, 03:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
You sort of prove a point in itself here - The Acura 2009 TL is inferior, powertrain wise,
Don't see how you got that or how I proved that point, actually just the opposite was pretty much shown

The TL won the comparison and was quicker then the CC despite the TL being larger, heavier, and not having a 6 speed auto among other things. The DSG on the CC is not available in the states and would most likely be a very expensive option putting the price well above the TL, the new TL does not ride rough either unless you are comparing it to some ultra soft floaty car, it rides noticeably softer then the 08 TL and the 08TL does not ride that rough for a sporty sedan.

Quick Reply: Acura TL looking pretty good