Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TL looking pretty good

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 04:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
Don't see how you got that or how I proved that point, actually just the opposite was pretty much shown

The TL won the comparison and was quicker then the CC despite the TL being larger, heavier, and not having a 6 speed auto among other things. The DSG on the CC is not available in the states and would most likely be a very expensive option putting the price well above the TL, the new TL does not ride rough either unless you are comparing it to some ultra soft floaty car, it rides noticeably softer then the 08 TL and the 08TL does not ride that rough for a sporty sedan.
The TL beat the CC by less than 2 points. Less than 2 points. Thats pretty much a tie and speaks VOLUMES about the CC and says not so much about the TL. The TL has gotten whooped in pretty much every comparison. They didn't advance anything with this model. The "most powerful Acura ever" doesn't mean squat if its slower than an Accord and the new V-6 TSX. As a matter of fact the 2 editors CHOSE THE CC over the TL in their write-ups in the same article.

Old 06-08-09, 05:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

They really screwed themselves with the design of this car. Its as ugly as a war injury. It may perform well, but not well enough to get consumers to forget that. Only cars like the GTR, EVO9, and last gen and current gen STI's can be forgiven for their funky lines , grossly exagerated wings, and hood scoops. The Acura TL should be competitive. They need to produce a RWD 335 hp V6, that handles like a bimmer. ohhh I guess they would just buy the G37 sedan.
Old 06-08-09, 05:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TL is ugly for sure but it outsells the CC easily enough. Not to mention the sales of the 3-series, ES, IS, C-class which have similar MSRP's. IMO, the CC is a nice car, but sales aren't impressive.
Old 06-08-09, 06:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
TL is ugly for sure but it outsells the CC easily enough. Not to mention the sales of the 3-series, ES, IS, C-class which have similar MSRP's. IMO, the CC is a nice car, but sales aren't impressive.
Again the TL is Acura's highest volume car. Expectations were 70k a year before the economy dumped. The car is selling around the same units as the older and IS/ES, which isn't great considering its the newest vehicle out. Something to think about. The TL and ES usually have around the same sales goals and are now priced very similar.

CC sales are solid considering its an expensive VW which traditionally sells like crap. I am not sure of sales goals though.

Old 06-08-09, 06:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

CC sales are solid considering its an expensive VW which traditionally sells like crap. I am not sure of sales goals though.
Yes, TL sales might be off the mark (sales goals are suspect anyway), but so are a lot of desirable cars.

I'm not convinced anybody is happy with the CC sales traction, given the sales of C-class, 3-series, IS/ES, A4 in similar price ranges during the recession.
Old 06-08-09, 06:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You know, for some reason the previous gen Acura TL type S has been growing and growing on me. What an amazing looking car, how could Acura turn this new one into such turd?
Old 06-08-09, 07:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree that the looks of the new TL are definitely polarizing (I can't warm up to the looks), and they seem to have found a market for the new model as evidenced by the sales in the tough economy.

I was wondering if they might make a quick cosmetic fix of the front end, but if it keeps selling OK there's no hurry on their part.
Old 06-08-09, 08:56 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You know, for some reason the previous gen Acura TL type S has been growing and growing on me. What an amazing looking car, how could Acura turn this new one into such turd?

The 3rd gen was amazing when done up right.

Old 06-08-09, 10:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I've seen one of those TL's with staggered wheels before, kind of weird.
Old 06-08-09, 11:43 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not convinced anybody is happy with the CC sales traction, given the sales of C-class, 3-series, IS/ES, A4 in similar price ranges during the recession.
VWoA knew the CC wasn't going to smash the ongoing sales volume that the current Passat sedan was then pulling. Since the CC has been introduced, it has at least kept the Passat above water, as regular sedan sales have dropped off a cliff for 2009 (~70%) due to not only the poor economy, but the axing of the wagon model, AND all models but the "LUX", giving it a $28,500 entry price, not exactly cheap. The CC (and Passat) sells in much larger volumes in Europe where consumers are willing to pay a premium for the VW badge. And I agree with 1SICK, VWoA needs to do some serious soul searching in regards to their dealer network to finally conform with the premium cars they are trying to sell. Just going into the VW dealership is like pulling hairs. My advice would be to find a good independent VW shop. Just for comparisons sake, every Honda dealer I have always been to has been exponentially superior. I imagine Acura would be even better.
Old 06-08-09, 11:54 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Don't see how you got that or how I proved that point, actually just the opposite was pretty much shown

The TL won the comparison and was quicker then the CC despite the TL being larger, heavier, and not having a 6 speed auto among other things. The DSG on the CC is not available in the states and would most likely be a very expensive option putting the price well above the TL, the new TL does not ride rough either unless you are comparing it to some ultra soft floaty car, it rides noticeably softer then the 08 TL and the 08TL does not ride that rough for a sporty sedan.
You're basically giving Acura credit for leveraging their less sophisticated engine/transmission to levels that compete with the CC. The facts are - The Passat has one more cog in the gearbox, has a DSG in Europe. The CC uses a narrow angle DOHC VR6 engine. The Acura has a SOHC engine. The CC uses direct fuel injection; the Acura doesn't. And guess what? The VW is a four year old car. Nobody is saying the 3.7VTEC unit found in the Acura isn't a totally refined engine (it is), but the power delivery leaves a lot to be desired before 5,000RPMs and the engine could stand some more features for a $43,000 vehicle. The very fact that a car which is essentially a Volkswagen Passat 3.6, released in 2006, supposed to compete in a class below of Camrys/Accords, is able to compete so closely with Acura's latest 3-Series fighter, four years later, shows you how great a car the Passat really is.

Last edited by FKL; 06-08-09 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 12:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

ok enough with the passat cc already. it's a nice car, we get it. it sells like leprosy though. start your own thread on it.
Old 06-09-09, 04:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok enough with the passat cc already. it's a nice car, we get it. it sells like leprosy though. start your own thread on it.
Old 06-09-09, 05:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by leedogg
The 3rd gen was amazing when done up right.

Staggered wheels on FWD= rice/wannabe. Way to ruin a beautiful car.

It looks great stock.

Old 06-09-09, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new TL is a good example of why Lexus design cars like they do.Lexus do not make big changes, they keep designs simple and traditional. It may be boring to some, but its never offensive like the new TL. In the case of the new TL, Acura need a quick fix, color keying the grill is a good start.

Quick Reply: Acura TL looking pretty good