Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TL looking pretty good

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 06:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
The new TL is a good example of why Lexus design cars like they do.Lexus do not make big changes, they keep designs simple and traditional. It may be boring to some, but its never offensive like the new TL. In the case of the new TL, Acura need a quick fix, color keying the grill is a good start.
Audi changes less than Lexus does. Until Lexus, all Germans brands had the same mentality, one design, 3 different sizes. Lexus proved a luxury brands products didn't have to look the same and be successful.

Old 06-09-09, 06:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi changes less than Lexus does. Until Lexus, all Germans brands had the same mentality, one design, 3 different sizes. Lexus proved a luxury brands products didn't have to look the same and be successful.
Well unfortunately this has changed with the introduction of L-finesse styling. I'm not fond of it at all.
Old 06-09-09, 07:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
And I agree with 1SICK, VWoA needs to do some serious soul searching in regards to their dealer network to finally conform with the premium cars they are trying to sell. Just going into the VW dealership is like pulling hairs. My advice would be to find a good independent VW shop. Just for comparisons sake, every Honda dealer I have always been to has been exponentially superior. I imagine Acura would be even better.
I see your point about about VW selling premium cars in the US. Many of us buy and lease cars in this price range, but nearly none of us are willing to buy VW products in that price range. Many of CL membership own recent premium-priced Lexus, Mercedes, BMW cars.
Old 06-09-09, 11:06 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I hope you are better informed now, IS350jet.

bitkahuna, all yours, it is your thread, I can understand that.
Old 06-09-09, 11:10 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

The new TL is a good example of why Lexus design cars like they do.Lexus do not make big changes, they keep designs simple and traditional. It may be boring to some, but its never offensive like the new TL. In the case of the new TL, Acura need a quick fix, color keying the grill is a good start.
They may be conservative in some vein, but the newer Lexus cars using the new design language look different from their Toyota brethren of the past. Lexus IS making big changes relative to their past cars IMO. This is a great thing.
Old 06-09-09, 11:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not putting down Lexus, I am actually saying it’s a good thing that Lexus doesn’t make drastic changes in their redesigns. The TL is a good example of " if something is not broken, don’t fix it, because you can make it worst "
Old 06-09-09, 11:38 AM
LexFather

I am not putting down Lexus, I am actually saying it’s a good thing that Lexus doesn’t make drastic changes in their redesigns. The TL is a good example of " if something is not broken, don’t fix it, because you can make it worst "
I agree. True luxury brands all understand this, they don't make drastic changes often and many models have extended life cycles. Acura is another story.

Old 06-09-09, 01:03 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new Lexus RX is a very good example, its a brand new design but it still resembles the old one. If only Acura did the same, they had a very nice design in the old TL, almost a timeless design, all they had to do was change a few curve or add a few body lines here and there, change the head lights and tail lights and make the look more modern, instead, they took a perfectly good design and mess it all up.
Old 06-09-09, 01:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Lexus RX is a very good example, its a brand new design but it still resembles the old one. If only Acura did the same, they had a very nice design in the old TL, almost a timeless design, all they had to do was change a few curve or add a few body lines here and there, change the head lights and tail lights and make the look more modern, instead, they took a perfectly good design and mess it all up.
Good points on the styling consistency of the successful premium brands (Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus) even after redesigns, it's also good for resale value.
Old 06-09-09, 01:21 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

I totally agreed. It's such a drastic change for the TL from the previous model.
Old 06-09-09, 03:31 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

acura doesn't need to change anything.

don't you see? the TL is selling like hot cakes right now.

there's a good number of people who like ugly cars, and acura has captured that market.
Old 06-09-09, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Good points on the styling consistency of the successful premium brands (Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus) even after redesigns, it's also good for resale value.
i don't understand what you're saying at all.

current 5 series? NOTHING like prior one.
current S class? NOTHING like prior one.

bmw keeps trotting out the 'double kidney' grill, and angel eyes but that's about it.
Old 06-09-09, 09:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
They may be conservative in some vein, but the newer Lexus cars using the new design language look different from their Toyota brethren of the past. Lexus IS making big changes relative to their past cars IMO. This is a great thing.

I agree. I like the L finesse designs . I like the LS,GS,ES, and the IS. The RX not so much.