Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Double stitched leather is back in Toyotas

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 06:25 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Well, the new RX is Lexus' latest effort, and with single stitched leather and door panels that belong in a 90ies GMC truck, doesnt seem like Toyota is trying to fix the problem, does it?
wassup och..check ur PM!
Old 06-04-09, 10:39 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
agreed. in lexus' defense though, the RX is really cheap at a starting price under 37K. i wonder if the semianaline leather makes a difference in the stitching
Good point. But the 1st gen Tundra Limited had double stitched seating and that was $32k vehicle. I noticed that Toyota even double stitched the headrests on the Prius....that is something I have never seen on a modern Toyota. I always thought that was reserved for Lexus models.
Old 06-04-09, 10:51 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Slightly off-topic, but what needs just as much, if not more, attention, in today's cars is the the quality of not so much the stitches but the seat leather itself. Those of you who follow my reviews know that I've looked at a number of relatively expensive upmarket, premium vehicles in the last couple of years that had "Leather" seats that were rough, grainy, poorly-finished, and cheap-looking/feeling. For instance, in the Mercedes and Audi lines, what I myself would call "Leather" seems to be now confined only to the most expensive, AMG, and S/RS versions. Others get "Leatherette", which looks and feels more like patterned vinyl than leather. In the BMW line, I did not find the "Navajo" Leather used in several of its vehicles to be very impressive, either. The BMW people admit that it does not have the smooth, plush texture of Lexus leather, but counter by saying that it is thicker, more durable, and will not deteriorate as fast. Only time, of course, can determine that.
I have always liked Toyota/Lexus leather. I have noticed that Lexus has serparated the leather from Toyota leather but in the past is seemed the same.

The newer Lexus leather seems softer than it was in the past. Not a good thing for wrinkles and it means more care.

I have always like the thickers leather Tundra/Land Cruiser etc and try to stay away from the softer Lexus leather.