Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Double stitched leather is back in Toyotas

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 10:52 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double stitched leather is back in Toyotas

Hey everyone.

Just thought I would mention that Toyota has gone back to double stitched leather on their new 2010 Prius model. I am not sure what others think about this but Toyota went away from double stitched leather on most 2005 + models and virtually all Lexus models (except SC/LS) used single stitched. I believe IS-F uses double stitched...(can't remember)

Most Lexus models back in the day were double stitched on leather seats and headrests. Most Toyota during that ere were using only the seats with double stitched.

Notice the headrests.

Seats are double stitched.

I have always thought that single stitched seats were cheap. Looks like Toyota has been listening.

What does everyone else think?
Old 06-03-09, 11:48 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

well of course its better, but i cant help but think how they can have it in a single toyota before the entire lexus line up
Old 06-04-09, 12:41 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Its the way they promote Prius...like back then when Prius w/ leather & Navi was around 25k +/-.

Thanks to Honda competition.
Old 06-04-09, 01:54 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you talking about, the IS250/350 has double stitched and I believe the GS350/460 has it too...

GS:

GX:

IS:

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 06-04-09 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-04-09, 07:04 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Ohhhhh. All those looks nice
Old 06-04-09, 07:41 AM
LexFather

I'm not sure what cars/suvs are all double stitched but I do know Toyota/Lexus is on a mission to get quality back to being #1 and head and shoulders above the rest. I can appreciate them acknowledging problems and trying to fix it.

Old 06-04-09, 08:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm not sure what cars/suvs are all double stitched but I do know Toyota/Lexus is on a mission to get quality back to being #1 and head and shoulders above the rest. I can appreciate them acknowledging problems and trying to fix it.
Agreed. This is just a sign that Toyota IS listening and they aim to once again become #1 when it comes to quality and reliability.
Old 06-04-09, 09:35 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

its single stitched in the new RX
Old 06-04-09, 10:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Originally Posted by RXSF
its single stitched in the new RX
Well, the new RX is Lexus' latest effort, and with single stitched leather and door panels that belong in a 90ies GMC truck, doesnt seem like Toyota is trying to fix the problem, does it?
Old 06-04-09, 10:30 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

agreed. in lexus' defense though, the RX is really cheap at a starting price under 37K. i wonder if the semianaline leather makes a difference in the stitching
Old 06-04-09, 12:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, the new RX is Lexus' latest effort, and with single stitched leather and door panels that belong in a 90ies GMC truck, doesnt seem like Toyota is trying to fix the problem, does it?
This new RX was designed years ago, and the new Prius came out after the RX technically. So starting from the new Prius and moving forward I think we will see more double-stitched leather.
Old 06-04-09, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Slightly off-topic, but what needs just as much, if not more, attention, in today's cars is the the quality of not so much the stitches but the seat leather itself. Those of you who follow my reviews know that I've looked at a number of relatively expensive upmarket, premium vehicles in the last couple of years that had "Leather" seats that were rough, grainy, poorly-finished, and cheap-looking/feeling. For instance, in the Mercedes and Audi lines, what I myself would call "Leather" seems to be now confined only to the most expensive, AMG, and S/RS versions. Others get "Leatherette", which looks and feels more like patterned vinyl than leather. In the BMW line, I did not find the "Navajo" Leather used in several of its vehicles to be very impressive, either. The BMW people admit that it does not have the smooth, plush texture of Lexus leather, but counter by saying that it is thicker, more durable, and will not deteriorate as fast. Only time, of course, can determine that.
Old 06-04-09, 03:29 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

um my 93 LS has this..

Old 06-04-09, 05:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this is good news, and Lexus still does luxury very well.
Old 06-04-09, 05:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I could care less about the stitching, i want engines and transmissions in the es and rx that don't sound like diesels, and constantly hunt for gears. Other than these two issues, both are great cars

Quick Reply: Double stitched leather is back in Toyotas