Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Driving, Cookie Loving Lawyer Injures Girl Scout

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 10:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus Driving, Cookie Loving Lawyer Injures Girl Scout

I sure hope this guy loses big time:

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/06/lawye..._paul_glad.php

Have you heard the one about the law firm partner, the Girl Scout, and his Lexus? Well, here it is, but we warn that it's not very funny.

Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal partner Paul Glad is an experienced litigator, but he's going to need to ramp up his public relations skills in the months ahead. He has been hit with a lawsuit that is the definition of a PR nightmare.

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

A 7-year-old Girl Scout and her mother filed a lawsuit today against a litigation attorney who crashed his car into them outside a Burlingame grocery store, forcing doctors to amputate one of the woman's legs.
The driver, Paul Glad, 59, of San Mateo, was trying to park his Lexus near the entrance to the Mollie Stone's market on Chapin Avenue on March 8, authorities said.

Glad pulled to within a few feet of where a group of Girls Scouts was selling cookies on the sidewalk at the entrance of the store, the suit said.

Glad had good intentions. According to the San Mateo County Times, he had stopped to pick up some delicious Girl Scout cookies. But in his excitement to get his Samoa and Thin Mint fix, he neglected to shift his car into park. His Lexus then rolled into the cookie table. The car pinned Girl Scout mother, Holly Rogers, to a wall, causing her to lose her leg. Her daughter, then 6, suffered multiple leg fractures.

Did we mention that Glad had parked in a disabled spot? And that he was on prescription painkiller OxyContin on the day of the accident? Yeah... that's not the way one wants the cookie to crumble.

Glad did not comment to the mainstream media folk, but we got him on the phone last night. His response, after the jump.

The negligence lawsuit was filed on Wednesday. Here's what Glad had to say to us by phone last night:

I'm in the midst of a client's trial right now, and that's my focus. I am sorry that people were injured, but I don't know why that would be of interest to Above The Law.

A Biglaw partner getting sued by a Girl Scout -- not of interest to ATL? Glad must still be taking copious amounts of OxyContin.
Old 06-04-09, 11:18 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy, I'm so Glad I'm not him . . . lol I had to say it
Old 06-04-09, 11:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Girl Scout cookies can make any man lose control.

I hope those injured recover well, physically and emotionally...
Old 06-04-09, 11:45 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually come to think of it... the parking system like the LS's auto park, if it hit someone while it's parking itself, can you really sue the driver? as he's not really the one controlling the vehicle....? I mean if someone jumped right in the back of it and the sensors couldn't stop it in time...?
Old 06-05-09, 12:24 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

read the whole article... (for everyone in general)

and it didnt park itself, he forgot to PUT it in park. I know exactly where this is.. LOL.
Old 06-05-09, 04:23 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I sure hope this guy loses big time:

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/06/lawye..._paul_glad.php
Seems to me like it was an accident, and it was deffinately sad that the women lost her leg. And you have never forgoten to do anything? Society is becoming more and more cynical everyday.
Old 06-05-09, 06:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Seems to me like it was an accident, and it was deffinately sad that the women lost her leg. And you have never forgoten to do anything? Society is becoming more and more cynical everyday.
"Accident"?. If you take the facts on their face, you have to take responsibility when you mess up. Driving on Rx drugs and "accidently" not putting the car in park--sorry, I don't buy it. When you "forget" to do something, it doesn't shield you from the respnosibility--oops, I "forgot" to stop at the red light. Maybe his insurance co is playing hardball, but you settle that case quickly. These people suffered terribly, and for them to have to now sue just compounds it.

It's not like the girl ran out in front of him with no warning and he couldn't possible stop. Sure, he didn't mean to do it, but it's his fault, and his alone. There's nothing cynical about it.

Last edited by tex2670; 06-05-09 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-05-09, 06:17 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

time to ban girl scouts from selling cookies on the sidewalk.
Old 06-05-09, 06:17 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

This is why automatics are bad.
Old 06-05-09, 08:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
actually come to think of it... the parking system like the LS's auto park, if it hit someone while it's parking itself, can you really sue the driver? as he's not really the one controlling the vehicle....? I mean if someone jumped right in the back of it and the sensors couldn't stop it in time...?

By law, YOU are ALWAYS RESPONSIBLE for controlling your own vehicle AT ALL TIMES, no matter what type of assistive device you have...
Old 06-05-09, 11:07 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I stopped buying girl scout cookies after they stopped making them out of real girl scouts.
Old 06-05-09, 11:58 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bad co
I stopped buying girl scout cookies after they stopped making them out of real girl scouts.

oh. wow.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
LOL. automatics shouldn't have never been invented huh?
Old 06-05-09, 03:07 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad co
hahayhahahaha i haven't heard that in years hahahahaaha what a good refresher
Old 06-07-09, 03:46 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
oh really?? cause in the old days, we used to have dumb asses with manual cars forgetting to use their ebrakes while parked on the steep slopes of San Fran.