Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Penske owned Lexus dealerships using Corolla loaners

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 04:05 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks big time. I wouldn't take anything less than 460, take your business else where if you can.
Old 06-06-09, 06:39 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Wo, id just be happy with a loaner period, although one time we did get a 2005 camry with 67,000 miles....it also had a smoker inside prior to us, but besides that anything is ok. Our dealership gives out fully loaded rx 350's and 400h's, the mid level es350s, is250 awd's and if your lucky an sc or ls if its laying around.
Old 06-06-09, 02:23 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Penske Longo is even worse.

Even if you ask for a loaner and set up an appointment beforehand, If you don't speak up, they will send you to Enterprise, and rent you a Chevy Aveo with manual crank windows.
And this is even with 10+ Lexus loaners VISIBLY sitting on the lot.

Last edited by dunnojack; 06-06-09 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-06-09, 03:22 PM
srm47
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

Even if you ask for a loaner and set up an appointment beforehand, If you don't speak up, they will send you to Enterprise, and rent you a Chevy Aveo with manual crank windows.
From the replies here and my recent experience, it appears this BS is limited to Penske dealerships. Fortunately I have some other Lexus dealers within range who are independent and still using Lexus loaners (as it has been for 20 years). After having bought nine Lexus since 1990, needless to say I have certain expectations.
Old 06-06-09, 03:36 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

be happy most GM dealerships won't even give you a loaner, you're lucky if they call you a cab haha.

Seriously though one of the reasons I looked forward to getting my service done at the Lexus dealer instead of the independant was the Lexus loaners which make me want to buy the model I'm test driving. If they don't give Lexus loaners no reason for me to bother going to them for my service.
Old 06-06-09, 04:24 PM
srm47
Driver School Candidate

Several of my Lexus purchases were accelerated because I had driven a loaner of a newer or different Lexus model and really liked it. (Much to my wife's chagrin). Penske will lose this aspect of their business without Lexus loaners. Hard to quantify but you know it helps sell vehicles.

Additionally, if say 10% (pick any number) of their current customers go to other Lexus dealers as a result of this policy change, what is the lost margin on those new car sales and the resulting service business? Makes me think the Corollas are false economy. I just feel bad for the good employees who will suffer if sales drop off.
Old 06-06-09, 05:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

at the very least they should rent camrys or avalons if they need to go that route
Old 06-06-09, 07:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Another thing, but what if people need a bigger car, i mean the corolla really small. At our dealership if they know you have kids or drive an lx, gx, or rx and they know you need the space, they give you an rx. If you drive a small car and are used to that, they give you an is, and for everyone else you get an es. I mean that is service, they base they loaner they are giving you off the type of vehicle you own. Now that i think about it, the corolla would be a major factor in me going to a certain dealership. guess ive been spoiled
Old 06-07-09, 12:34 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Another thing, but what if people need a bigger car, i mean the corolla really small. At our dealership if they know you have kids or drive an lx, gx, or rx and they know you need the space, they give you an rx. If you drive a small car and are used to that, they give you an is, and for everyone else you get an es. I mean that is service, they base they loaner they are giving you off the type of vehicle you own. Now that i think about it, the corolla would be a major factor in me going to a certain dealership. guess ive been spoiled
"Oh you need more space? Here's a Scion xB"??

What happened to "The Pursuit of Perfection"??
Old 06-07-09, 02:52 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack

When I went to Longo there were clearly 6 IS loaners just sitting there and they sent me home in a Yaris.
Old 06-07-09, 03:11 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knihc2008
When I went to Longo there were clearly 6 IS loaners just sitting there and they sent me home in a Yaris.
a Yaris??? Dude, that's just mean..
Old 06-07-09, 06:46 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008

did it have automatic windows at least??

hahahaha.
fck perfection and the pursuit.

it's the economy stupid. They can get 3 yaris for the price of 1 ES.

I know Glendale would rent you a car from Enterprise if they didn't have loaners left. But this Penske crap is just totally weird. they want to keep 10 loaners on the lot for what??? for the people who scream the loudest?

I can understand if you loan a yaris for an oil change. that's acceptable.
But for a high $$$$$$$ repair, the customer should be entitled to a lexus loaner.

Last edited by dunnojack; 06-07-09 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-07-09, 03:48 PM
LexFather

We as Lexus owners are spoiled. Every other luxury brand gives you no loaner or mostly crappy loaners. Some dealerships are better than others but for the most part you might get a Pinto when u take that x car in for service.

I don't like the move by Penske. If anything I've seen loaners sell themselves as people who usually would not try an ES/IS/RX etc usually come away loving the vehicle.

Old 06-07-09, 03:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by srm47
Several of my Lexus purchases were accelerated because I had driven a loaner of a newer or different Lexus model and really liked it. (Much to my wife's chagrin). Penske will lose this aspect of their business without Lexus loaners. Hard to quantify but you know it helps sell vehicles.
Exactly my point.

Old 06-07-09, 05:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

next time tell em
"i'm going to a fancy banquet. i cant drive up in that piece of crap..."

Quick Reply: Penske owned Lexus dealerships using Corolla loaners