Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Getting nice cars early.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 04:47 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was out on my own at 18 and always had nice cars as long as I could afford it and it made financial sense.

I took a lot of crap over the years about it but the one thing my dad always said was, if you can afford do it because your not going to enjoy it the same if you wait until 60.

And he was right, owning a nice car such as a lexus at 60 will not be the same as it will in your 20's.........

Assuming I had the cash flow, I did not want to be the guy that worked his whole life, saved every penny and at the end of my life I decide to spend a little and enjoy it.
Old 06-08-09, 04:54 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can afford it and you have everything else already lined out in your life, do what you want. who cares waht people think.... it's alwasy the people in old busted junk that have something stupid to say about someone with a nice car anyway.
i've alwasy said the same thing; buy a nice used car for 15k or a new economy car for 15k? i'll take the 15k lexus (or wahtever) every time.
Old 06-08-09, 05:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakex1
People have always told me not to get nice cars or I wont have anything to look forward to.

I never understood this, is it the performance that a young driver cant handle?<--(i actually agree with that statement) the quality of the ride/interior? the badge and label that comes with the car?

Because the way I saw it if someone buys a brand new civic si for 25k or a used corvette for the same price, are they not basically on the same level?

I was thinking about this because i have friends who have EVOX's, A5's, SL55's. And they tell me about some dirty looks they get, and I was actually looking at a used m3 but I don't wanna be categorized as the "rich kid with his dads car."
It's jealousy--they couldn't afford a nice car when they were young, so no one should have one. That said--you shouldn't stretch yourself just because you can. But if it's not a stretch, get what you can comfortably afford.
Old 06-08-09, 11:25 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yo just pay for your own car...then people cant say ****.

also **** what people say just do you.
Old 06-08-09, 11:33 AM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Like others have said, do what YOU want and dont give a s*** about what other people think/may think of you.
Old 06-08-09, 11:47 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see a problem with getting a nice car early on in life at all so long as you can afford it.

95% of young people I see with a car much nicer than you usually see for their age either got their parents to pay for it (this is fine, but don't expect me to be impressed, either) or they can only 'afford' it because they live at home and/or just barely make enough to write a check for the payments every month ('making the payments' is not my definition of being able to afford something).

Or even worse, they drive cars their parents bought, didn't even give to them, just allow them to drive, and try to pass them off as their own car.
Old 06-08-09, 11:58 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a question to all of you guys that say 'so long as your parents didn't buy it for you':

Who cares if the parents bought it? Maybe the parents wanted to buy their kid something nice.

(look at me trying to start something)
Old 06-08-09, 12:04 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
Just a question to all of you guys that say 'so long as your parents didn't buy it for you':

Who cares if the parents bought it? Maybe the parents wanted to buy their kid something nice.

(look at me trying to start something)
I don't have a problem with parents buying their kids a car so long as the kid isn't a spoiled brat and deserved the car (did well in school, sports, whatever... worked for the car instead of working at a job).

I'm just not impressed by it when some kid drives up in a brand new RX350 or something acting all baller. I just think to myself "wait until you see what it's like to own your own money".
Old 06-08-09, 12:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people can buy whatever they want for their kid

just dont bish when they wreck it, get injured, because it was too much for them
Old 06-08-09, 01:18 PM
lfeharri
Driver

People can buy whatever they want for their kid, and a young adult should also be able to buy whatever they want for themselves as long as they can afford it. Heck, I bought my IS F last year when I was 23 and I got those "looks" all the time. As long as you know that you did it yourself, who cares what people think.
Old 06-08-09, 01:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice cars get looked at all the time, not a concern.
Old 06-08-09, 01:52 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C. McHale
Anyways, as others have said, it depends on where you live/work how people will perceive your car.

It's stupid, but my workplace cited the fact I drive a Lexus as a reason NOT to give me a raise, as driving one must mean I'm pretty "well off". Shows how little they pay attention. A used '05 ES 330 does not equate to well off, especially when one can be had for less than or equal to a new Camry. The only thing they look at is the badge, and assume it must cost $50,000. My co-workers voiced that exact opinion.

Funny part is if I'd had more money and bought a Hyundai Genesis, no one would bat an eye, especially when they saw the Hyundai badge in the rear.
Whats funny, is that even the badge doesn't always matter. A used Lotus Elise can be had for high 20s mid 30s, and people will swear you spent close to 6 figures on the car, for the simple reason that it looks exotic (many don’t recognize the badge). Meanwhile, a loaded Accord can be had within similar price range (give or take), and that’s more than acceptable. Same issue…perception is reality most cases, and ignorance reigns supreme.

This is why you don’t by your car for other people, and instead do so for yourself. People are more than generous with their opinions, and they will always find something to judge, relative to their situation.

Whats interesting, is that there is some cultural relevance to this. Staying away from specifics, its perfectly acceptable in some cultures to not only buy children cars, but also to stay under the same roof as the parents, until married and ready, with possible assistance towards a future home purchase.

Again, all perception. All relative.
Old 06-08-09, 02:03 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

There are actually a lot of things I like about the prospect of getting a used low mileage 05 or 06 LS430 but I just can't based on perception. It's the "I have arrived" car regardless of how much you actually paid for it.

As others have said... I could go buy a loaded 2009 Accord for about the same as an 05 LS430 but they speak two completely opposite messages about their owner. It can get to the point that it affects social and workplace dynamics, all because people don't really understand the economics of cars... they just see badges. I think this is one of the nice hidden aspects of the Hyundai Genesis... the ability to drive a luxury class car without people judging you for it.

It's really no different than if you saw a homeless guy in nice designer clothes, you'd be far less inclined to give him money than if he was in a walmart t-shirt and shorts. And yet what if he bought those designer clothes at the second hand store or was given them for free?
Old 06-08-09, 04:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, when I got to Walmart in the 'hood, I drive my old Jeep and dress extra casual., no problems.
Old 06-08-09, 04:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakex1
see same argument. If my parents say heres 25k for a civic, and i say can I buy a used M3. If they "ok" it whats the problem? they are the same price. And im in a 6 year medical program so i would be living at home for a while
Parents give their kids 25K for a civic or buy the civic themselves because they want their kid to have a reasonable, , reliable, practical, safe, car that is cheaper to insure and gets decent fuel economy. They don't want their children to have expensive luxury cars or high performance sports cars for their first or 2nd car for several reasons but mainly safety, responsibility, and cost. A 25K M3 is going to have alot of miles with no warranty and will end up costing alot of money to maintain, fix, insure, and put premium fuel in it and it is going to be very dangerous for a teenager. There is also the entitlement/spoiled brat issue where if a child's first car is a luxury car or nice sports car then they are generally going to expect and demand as nice if not nicer car in the future which will most likely start a cycle of them spending too much money on cars and other things they can not realistically afford and them looking down on more affordable sensible practical cars that they should be buying and driving.

I will buy my kids a decent sensible reliable car for their first car and it will definitely not be a luxury car, fully loaded family car, or high performance sports car. If they want a expensive high end car, even a used one within the original budget then they are going to have to get a job to pay for it themselves and will have to pay to insure, maintain, and fuel it themselves too and deal with all negatives. If a child wants a nicer car they should buy it themselves with their own money, otherwise be grateful for the civic, corolla. accord, scion, etc your parents buy you even if it is used.

Quick Reply: Getting nice cars early.