Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Getting nice cars early.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 06:43 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Iv paid for all of my cars myself since I was 15. My parents could have bought me a car but they wanted me to learn to provide for myself.

I thank them now and enjoy my cars much more because I know that Iv put in the work to be able to afford them.
Old 06-09-09, 07:41 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes a nice car is too much for a 'kid' to handle. Let me explain.

Nicer cars tend to be faster, handle better and have more powerful engines. Dirty looks aside, a powerful car is not a good choice for a 16 yr kid on average. Until he/she figures out stopping distances, road ettitique (sp?) and rest of the driving experience, a nicer car may not be the way to go. I think the insurance costs reflect this.

My dad gave me his hand me down 1970s mercedes. Beautiful and well put together car. I am the young of two boys so by the time I got it, it had more dents than doors. But it was a great learner for car maintenance and driving experience.

But I think the dirty looks come more from jealousy than anything else. When I am a parent, I am putting my kids in safe, underpowered, reliable cars.
Old 06-09-09, 07:46 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes no sence. "dont get a nice car or you wont have anything to look up to"

um, correct me if i'm wrong, but a NICE car would be a maybach..if you can afford that as a kid, WOW. Then you will have something to look up to, 2 maybachs.