Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Shipping cars International

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 03:37 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping cars International

Hey guys, I have no idea where to ask but,

I want to ship a car I own from the good ole USA to South Korea.

Anyone ever ship internationally?

Things are changing for me very rapidly.

What should I expect?

How much should it cost?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced guys!

- Pat
Old 06-07-09, 04:19 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

i have a friend whose dads business is based on shipping internationally. However idk if it is contract based or if he does simple jobs too(i think he shipped another friends bentley to korea.)

However (im korean) and as far as i know whatever car u want to buy that is NOT Hyundai,kia,daewoo or any other korean brand it will cost u about twice the price of what u would expect to pay in the U.S.

Unless rules have changed, i think its because its illegal to buy whole international cars (to boost sales of korean manufacturers). So it would be buying a car, dismantling it, shipping it over and rebuilding it.
Old 06-07-09, 04:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

I've shipped many cars from Miami to EU not for resale but for myself. First time it cost me well over $2,000 but as I gained experience in car export I managed to get it down to $700.

There are two types to get your car overseas on a ship: container or roll on.
Or only one way if you are opting for airplane cargo (I would suggest this option only if you are in a hurry).

Container: There are different sizes and you need to choose right one for you and of course price is based on sizing. If you have some other stuff than a car that need to go you can also put it inside a container if there is a room for it. That's a plus when it comes to containers. Downside is that you need to secure items inside tightly and that will generally cost money cause you can't do it yourself probably. Sometimes company that does transportation would do it for you and sometimes you will have to hire someone. It should not cost you more than $200 to secure items inside especially if there is a car or two cars inside. BTW you should leave your windows open while car is inside of a container for better ventilation.

Roll On or RoRo: Cheapest way to get your car wherever it needs to go. Cars are stacked on top of each other inside the boat. I heard there are some RoRos that are open on the deck but I haven't had that case yet. If that is the case make sure you wrap the car into something since its exposed to wind and rain on open sea. This method of shipping is cheap! Downside is that this works only with large ports so your options of getting your car directly form the ship in some smaller and not so popular ports are limited and expect big unloading times and complications that follow usually.

Finding an agent and transportation company: Shipping your car outside US is two stage process. First of all you need and agent that will deal with exportation paperwork and then you need a transporter. If you go with big companies like Maersk they might provide you with a full service which would be cheaper but sometimes you have no choice but to hire people separately. If you hire an agent it should not cost you more than $300 for single car export.

Transportation: Beware of shipping prices! They usually don't include insurance, port taxes, fuel and other expenses. So if someone quotes you $900 for just shipping expect to pay around $1200-$1300 total. Make sure you ask them for total price when you are asking for a quote. Also sometimes transportation could be a combination of sea and land depending where your car needs to go. I had my containers even going via train to reach their final destination. If that is the case leave the transportation company to do all the work its cheaper than for you to go and hire a separate truck to pick up your car at the port etc.

Also you can't export your car in a day. There is a procedure of few days where your cars has to sit in a container or in a ship before it can go on a journey. Federal bureau is checking trough all 50 states that your car hasn't been stolen maybe and when they complete that you get the green light. So plan accordingly but your agent will help you with that.

Your first step would be to try to find out which company has best rates for your destination! That's all it matter in the end. Don't expect a lot form shipping times and schedule cause it changes constantly and most of the time they are not on time. I had a container being late for two weeks one time. And always plan for unplanned additional cost and expenses.

Unfortunately I have never shipped a car anywhere else than EU so I would not know much about South Korea as your final destination. But I see that you are in NJ and I am sure they have best prices shipping there.
Old 06-07-09, 09:05 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You moving back to the S.k?

I will intercept your ship at Panama and take those intake and rims for myself lol
Old 06-07-09, 09:34 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Few of my friends shipped their cars to Korea when they moved back. Latest one was couple of yrs ago. I think she paid $2500 to ship her Cayenne. Don't know the details. Also a guy I know shipped his 05 Acura TL to korea. Also don't know the details but it should be under $3000.
Old 06-07-09, 10:54 AM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find it website! Click here:
http://www.shipmyauto.net/korea-south/
http://www.mymovingquote.com/International-Movers.html

Last edited by Lexwang07; 06-07-09 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-07-09, 04:05 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I shipped a few car's from chicago to the e.u. What you have to remember is that theyre is basicly a tax on everything. Tarrif's of all sort so try to lie about your car's value. It says that you are In NJ find the a shipping co in cali you could save about a 2k by driving it theyre and flying back. Is the car for you or for sale? Think about stuff to send because conatiners ususaly fit 2.5 cars quads and motorcycles and scooter's sell well over sea's so might want to drop a extra 15k because you can probably make a solid 5k by selling a few bikes and a quad. It can take around a month or 2 for your car to get to your desiered destination. Remove alot of stuff from your car like radio buttons cd changers and shift *****. they get stollen a lot and you can never proove that the company did it no matter what kind of picture's you have.
Old 06-05-11, 12:25 AM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you ever get any results on this? How much is the import duty for a used IS350 to ship to South Korea?