Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's some Google pictures of the new XR.

Old 06-08-09, 10:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeez, the car in the pics look like a Budget rental car
Old 06-08-09, 10:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congragulations. I think highly of the Aura and Malibu, and have commented numerous times on both of them in the past. Both, of course, have hybrid versions, although not as advanced as the outstanding new Ford Fusion Hybrid.

You, like me, seem to like ride comfort. That is one of the few mistakes that Saturn has done with the Aura. In the past, they offered the smoother-riding XE version with the V6 and higher-profile tires. Some time last year, they dropped the V6 option from the smoother-riding XE, now offering it only on the sportier XR with the lower-profile, firmer-riding tires. The XE now comes only with the 4. And, they also replaced the lower-tech but more reliable 3.5L V6 with the higher-tech but somewhat less-reliable 3.6L V6.

And, if you are tall like I am, don't ride in back.....that is another one of the car's few weak points. Like the Malibu and Fusion, headroom in back is definitely on the tight side.

Did they give you the break-in recommendations at the dealership, or do you need them? (Not all of us at CL, BTW, agree as to what the proper methods actually are....but auto companies, in general, make more or less the same recommendatons)
Thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty comfortable with the break in process.

I think, but am not sure, that the XE and XR have the same suspension tuning. I could be wrong though. In fact if I am wrong I'd love to know just for my education. My coworker and good friend has an 08 XE 3.5L V6 with the exact same wheels and tire size I have and I find the ride to be nearly identical. I think I have a bit nicer tires though (Firestones, comapred to his Optomas). They're 17" 215/55/R17... you might be able to make that out in one of the pics I have in the slideshow I posted a link to.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Threxx, didn't you mention a while back, that you might take a look at the new Buick LaCrosse when it comes out later this year?
I LOVE the new LaCrosse... very sweet car, and it's on the all new Epsilon II platform. But the CXL (minimum entry point if you want leather) starts at 30,385 w/ destination and while I'm sure there might be some bargaining room and maybe even a small rebate by the time my 335i was due back in October, I was probably looking at 26k absolute best case scenario and that's IF I could find a CXL with no other options. I talked to my friend's dad's dealership's ordering coordinator and it sounded like most of them were coming with a fair number of options on them and going to be in the 32-36 range.

In addition to that, I have a bit of an aversion to buying the first year of any new model. My dad is interested in the LaCrosse though and we'll be going to check it out when it hits the dealers here in a few more weeks. I hope it won't make me regret my decision, but let's just say it'll take a lot to make me regret saving 10 grand + tax and cheaper fuel/maintenance costs to boot.
Old 06-08-09, 10:51 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Awesome find.

I like the Aura, and it's good that you found a great deal on it.

Now, put on 20" chromes...
+1... and LOWER.... j/k For $16K, light-out deal... CONGRATS!!!!
Old 06-08-09, 12:19 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Man, from a BMW 335 to a Saturn, time to get a rocking chair and a AARP membership JK there Threxx, now is the time to buy American cars, they are just giving them away.
Old 06-08-09, 12:28 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, the car look's great actually, this is now making me really pay attention to Saturn.
Old 06-08-09, 12:39 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice, the only thing i can say bad about it is there is very little headroom in the rear seat. I am only 5'6 give or take half an inch, and i found it very uncomfortable, besides that, it was great.
Old 06-08-09, 12:44 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
Very nice, the only thing i can say bad about it is there is very little headroom in the rear seat. I am only 5'6 give or take half an inch, and i found it very uncomfortable, besides that, it was great.
I'm a hair under 6'1" or a hair over 6' and my head lightly touches the ceiling in the back of my Aura when I'm sitting completely upright. Basically as long as I'm slouching or leaning even a little bit then it doesn't touch, and even if it does touch, it's not uncomfortable.

However in the Malibu and Aura with the sunroof, it's terrible. Even my friend who is 5'10" was having to slump over the fit.

What is so strange about that is the fact that the Aura/Malibu has a sunroof that slides out over the top of the roof... it doesn't slide inside the roof like most cars... so you'd think it wouldn't affect headroom all that much?

Ah well... I guess that's where kids sit anyway.
Old 06-08-09, 12:50 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 757 Likes on 527 Posts

Great deal! Are they discounting the Sky's as hard?
Old 06-08-09, 12:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Jeez, the car in the pics look like a Budget rental car
That's because around here most of them are.
Old 06-08-09, 12:56 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I'm going to get some weathertech rubber mats for the car to make cleaning it out easy. Do you guys think I should get gray to approximately match the carpet or black for the 2-tone look to go along with the upper dash and such?
http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...tChoiceIds=731

Interior pic of my car for quick reference
http://picasaweb.google.com/threxx/2...53229401579202

Originally Posted by Allen K
Great deal! Are they discounting the Sky's as hard?
At one point I remember working out a pretty crazy good deal on a Sky Redline. Awesome car too, by the way... looks twice as expensive as it is, and has great fuel economy for its level of performance. The reason I didn't end up going with it was I hated the interior. Very hard/cheap plastic inside. Not comfortable. Thankfully while the Aura doesn't have the interior of the century, it's much more livable and on par with the competition. Then again I guess in a car like the Sky you should be focusing on driving, not stroking the dash? I guess that's why it's not the car for me.
Old 06-08-09, 01:11 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 757 Likes on 527 Posts

Black goes with about anything so it's really personal preference I tend to lean towards black floor mats because it's easier to keep them looking clean. Yeah the interior on the Sky leaves much to be desired and if I remember correctly, mmarshall's review mentioned that the convertible top was a bit of a pain to use too
Old 06-08-09, 02:33 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice deal on the Saturn, thats a darn good price, enjoy it! Wonder if they giving the same kind of deals in NYC.
Old 06-08-09, 03:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Hmm well the car i was in did have the sunroof but still, maybe i just have really short legs and a very tall torso haha
Old 06-08-09, 11:45 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Wow great deal, congrats!

Quick Reply: New car in my garage