Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 09:23 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my co-worker picked up one of these Saturns as well over the Accord... must be half decent car...
Old 08-15-09, 12:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like you got a great car for a great price. congrats
Old 08-16-09, 10:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Threxx - How many miles have you put on the 335 and what are your observations about reliability/durability based on your experience?
Old 08-16-09, 12:31 PM
LexFather

Hows your observed MPG?

Old 08-16-09, 12:55 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Threxx - How many miles have you put on the 335 and what are your observations about reliability/durability based on your experience?
I've had it for just under 2 years and 30k miles.

Reliability has been very poor. I was hit very early on in the ownership experience, which at least a couple of the problems could possibly be attributed to, but most of the stuff is obviously unrelated to the area of the car that was repaired.

Rather than typing it all up again... just read the first post here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1090892
and then here
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4&postcount=46

And since I last updated that thread I've also had a tire pressure sensor go bad and one front cup holder replaced due to breaking (very flimsy cup holders in this car).

Aside from all those problems the quality of this car, if you just go pushing and prodding various pieces of the interior or exterior, is no better... arguably even worse than my Saturn Aura. And while the Aura's quality is overall pretty good for what it is, I'd say that's more of a knock on the BMW than it is a testament to the Aura.

BMW quality and reliability is the worst I've ever experienced in any car by a long shot.

HOWEVER with all that said, I'm not one of those people who's going to walk around telling everyone BMW is junk. Yes mine was but I believe JD power when they say BMW only has ~50% more problems than Lexus. Obviously I just got unlucky and for every guy like me there's somebody who has had a BMW with absolutely zero issues in 100k miles of driving. My single case is not proof of the entire brand's quality. However with all of that said, I still will probably never consider one again unless things really change with them.

Oh... BTW... my 06 Audi A4 2.0t I had before my 335i? Perfect car. Only problem was a single burnt out $1 map light bulb in 30k miles of driving. Build and material quality was also much better than the 335i.
Old 08-16-09, 12:59 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hows your observed MPG?
25.5-26 mpg in the city with me driving w/ AC on. More like 23 with my wife driving (she's one of those "almost always either on the gas or the brake, never coasting" drivers). I might be able to do better than that once the car gets broken in (still well under 1000 miles, still non synthetic oil, etc).

Based on what I've been reading and what I've seen from the info center on very short stretches of highway, I'm expecting somewhere in the mid to high 3x mpg range at 75mph with the AC on and a solid 40mpg at 65 with the AC off. I'll update the thread when I actually confirm that with a road trip, though.

Last edited by Threxx; 08-16-09 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-16-09, 01:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx

Reliability has been very poor. I was hit very early on in the ownership experience, which at least a couple of the problems could possibly be attributed to, but most of the stuff is obviously unrelated to the area of the car that was repaired.

Rather than typing it all up again... just read the first post here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1090892
and then here
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4&postcount=46

And since I last updated that thread I've also had a tire pressure sensor go bad and one front cup holder replaced due to breaking (very flimsy cup holders in this car).

Aside from all those problems the quality of this car, if you just go pushing and prodding various pieces of the interior or exterior, is no better... arguably even worse than my Saturn Aura. And while the Aura's quality is overall pretty good for what it is, I'd say that's more of a knock on the BMW than it is a testament to the Aura.

BMW quality and reliability is the worst I've ever experienced in any car by a long shot.

HOWEVER with all that said, I'm not one of those people who's going to walk around telling everyone BMW is junk. Yes mine was but I believe JD power when they say BMW only has ~50% more problems than Lexus. Obviously I just got unlucky and for every guy like me there's somebody who has had a BMW with absolutely zero issues in 100k miles of driving. My single case is not proof of the entire brand's quality. However with all of that said, I still will probably never consider one again unless things really change with them.

Oh... BTW... my 06 Audi A4 2.0t I had before my 335i? Perfect car. Only problem was a single burnt out $1 map light bulb in 30k miles of driving. Build and material quality was also much better than the 335i.
Dude sorry to read that. I'm browsing around and wow. You are taking a good attitude with it.

Old 08-16-09, 01:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It handles it more like an ES would than a GS.
Not surprising, of course........the Aura is FWD like an ES.

On the flip side it still has well under 1000 miles on it. Since we have 3 vehicles right now (335i isn't due back for 7 more weeks) and I'm well under mileage on it (I need to plan a road trip!),
Until you DO get 1000 miles on it (at that point, it will be considered broken-in), if you take a road trip on the Interstates, try to vary the engine speed up and down a little.....don't drive at the exact same speed for long stretches at a time. And, of course, 4000 RPM or lower on the tach.
Old 08-16-09, 04:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback on the BMW, it was my second choice when I shopped sport sedans. Yes I am aware that we are discussing a single case of car ownership, but there is value in your observations especially since you are an enthusiast with good hands-on experience with premium cars.

btw - My experience with 08 Mercedes C-class at 22 months/31K miles is nearly as good as Lexus from a reliablilty standpoint. Only 1 minor defect (rear door lock pin mechanisms replaced under warranty and they actually replaced with redesigned/improved parts), otherwise flawless.
Old 09-01-09, 08:40 AM
ObsidianRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well right now it's looking like I'll owe them a few hundred bucks in wear in tear. Actually they want to charge me $600 for a brand new wind shield because I have a tiny 'peck' in the glass (like 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser!) but I am hoping I can get that repaired and have them leave me alone about it.

So you're saying I may be able to bypass some of those charges then in the form of an 'under mileage' credit?

I'm going to call BMWFS and ask them what it's worth to them or if I should just go on a road trip.

Thanks for the compliment on the deal.
Sorry for the delayed reply, you're on the money. They should issue you a wear and tear credit as a matter of course. I would turn the car in with the windshield as-is. If they don't issue you the credit and try to charge you for it call BMWFS and raise all holy hell with them trying to nickel and dime you on a car you turned in well below your paid miles. I've heard if you gripe a bit they're pretty good about backing down at least part way on these things.
There are enough BMW owners that just pay whatever bill they send that they can afford to bend a bit for those that call them out on the small stuff.
Old 09-17-09, 12:29 AM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

I have heard those Auras are pretty responsive cars! I wonder if they are going to come out with a redline edition..
Old 09-17-09, 05:38 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CLNSC3
I have heard those Auras are pretty responsive cars! I wonder if they are going to come out with a redline edition..
The 3.6L 6-speed auto puts up some pretty nice acceleration numbers, but my 2.4 is sloooooow.

I'm fine with it like that, though.

The 3.6L also has a sportier suspension and 18" wheels. I like my 17s and smoother ride.
Old 09-17-09, 05:43 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The upcoming Insignia (possible replacement for this car) looks promising.. From a 335 to an Aura.. That is like hitting skid row
Old 09-17-09, 08:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The upcoming Insignia (possible replacement for this car) looks promising.. From a 335 to an Aura.. That is like hitting skid row
Good one,, but he knows it's not even close to a direct replacement.

Based on the reliability of his 335, he won't be missing the frequent trips to the shop.
Old 09-17-09, 02:54 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I like the Aura its a very nice car. any pictures of all 3 cars?

Quick Reply: New car in my garage