Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Volkswagen CC gets IIHS Top Pick award

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 05:19 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Has anybody ever done a side by side comparison of wet braking response/performance with and without that feature? My Audi A4 and BMW both had/have that feature and while it's kinda interesting to think about in theory, it's impossible for me to tell any appreciable difference between those cars and others I've driven with wet brakes. If there were a way to disable the feature in those cars maybe it'd become more apparent.

Simple logic might say "if it didn't make much of a difference, they wouldn't have it on the cars", but these are the Germans we're talking about... they are known to occasionally engineer certain features into their cars that do little more than make people say "neato" once or twice.
Interesting question, Threxx, but I haven't come across any quantitative testing on the feature. The idea, as G Man stated, is to have more immediate grab during that small time window when you first jump on the brakes. The pads will rub up against the disks when the wipers are activated and/or the rain sensor detects water (if in that setting).

I think it's crucial to note that the Passat has had this stuff for more than four years now as standard equipment. Features like this explain the difference in pricing between the Camry and Accord. Plus, like I said, you can get rear side airbags, a feature not found on even more costly cars. The B6 was top of it's class back in 2006 for its passive and active standard safety suite, and still is. Again, I think this justifies the pricing premium.
Old 06-11-09, 05:21 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who cares?
I could go get ANY acura and get a top safety pick vehicle....
and to boot it will be 10000% more reliable than any VW product.
Old 06-11-09, 05:35 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FKL
I think it's crucial to note that the Passat has had this stuff for more than four years now as standard equipment. Features like this explain the difference in pricing between the Camry and Accord. Plus, like I said, you can get rear side airbags, a feature not found on even more costly cars. The B6 was top of it's class back in 2006 for its passive and active standard safety suite, and still is. Again, I think this justifies the pricing premium.
Isn’t there a Volkswagen forum you can go play around on, where your VW ego is stroked, where you’re loved, nurtured, and not so annoying? I mean, really, the VW advertising is getting quite old. I’m sure that most people on these boards agree. I love Honda, always have. I’m secure enough, though, in my purchase decision, that I don’t find myself having to defend my ride every day on a Lexus forum. Your VW inferiority complex is truly amazing. You must be really insecure about your purchase, trying to convince everyone you speak with, as well as yourself, that VW design, engineering, and build quality is somehow superior to the Japanese. You appear to be almost VW brainwashed. You’ve got the Passat so high on a pedestal, you can’t see straight. Do you bow down to your Passat every night before you go to bed? Everybody on these boards can see how delusional you are.

Mmarshal, the #1 Subaru fan on these boards, is not on here trying to sell Subaru’s. He loves Subaru’s, he’ll talk about them all day long. I love hearing about his passion for Subaru’s because he isn’t on here, day by day, talking about how superior Subaru’s are compared to Honda or Toyota. He is very insightful, nonbiased, honest, and he cares about the information he puts forth on these boards. But most of all, he's not a Subaru salesman on a Lexus board.

As much as I like Honda, I have been in complete disgust over Acura’s new lineup. The TL, IMO, is as ugly as they come. Aside from looks, however, the TL is a fine automobile. Compare the CC to it if you want but it is clearly superior to the CC in every way. Though some might not care for the design, the interior is top notch. It will outperform the CC in nearly every category despite its HUGE weight disadvantage and what you call "ancient technology". No DI and no DOHC yet the TL still manages 305 HP and will rev smother and quieter that the VR6. The TL is larger, more luxurious, more refined, quieter, smoother, more reliable, and is overall a nicer car. It is a good all around “sporty” sedan. There’s a reason why its resale value towers over the Passat. It’s a better car. I don’t know about you, but I’d be embarrassed to post this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ld-passat.html
An overweight pig of a car with a out of date ailing engine with no twin cam or DI, and only a POS 5 speed STILL BEAT YOUR GODESS, CC!! LOL.
It’s really sad because the CC is such a good looking car. I wished the TL looked as good.

Now, I’m on car chat because I like cars. You’re on car chat because you like VW’s. Like I said before, I admire your passion for VW. You seem relatively intelligent, but a tad insecure. The VW rantings are getting old and I believe they should be posted elsewhere, perhaps the debate forum.

Last edited by IS350jet; 06-11-09 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 05:35 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I reviewed a new CC not long ago, and, in some ways, it is a nice car. But one thing puzzles me, though, about this article. VW obviously copied the Mercedes CLS coupe-sedan styling, with the low, humpback roofline and tiny windows. Those tiny windows make for rather poor visibility out, and poor visibility can contribute to accidents. Why the IIHS would give such a high award to a car with poor outward vision, even if it has a number of other safety items, seems to me a little strange.
What, VW doesn't deserve this award, after the car has proven itself in a controlled collision because you think it doesn't have enough visibility out of the rear window? Sounds like nitpicking to me, and I don't hear anyone moaning about an SUVs "poor visibility" when the IIHS releases a "report". When you can come to me with some emperical evidence that suggests the drivers of the CC are that much more prone to accidents compared to the regular Passat based on the "lack of visibility" ALONE, I'll be listening. But now, it just sounds like nonsensicle perceptions to me, sorry. It may sound good on paper, but I doubt this is applicable to real life.
Old 06-11-09, 05:48 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

I agree the CC is a great looking car, but id still take an "antiquated" TL over it any day of the week. The TL may be outdated, but that V6 is smooth as butter and packs some serious *****. Plus, the SH-AWD system offers some tough road grip.
Go drive a TL and see how well it drives. It may look hideous from the outside but it still is a great drive and a well built car.
My gripe with the TL is the styling, as it is not very attractive at all, and the pricetag as it leaped from the mid 30's to the mid 40's in just a few years. I remember when TL's were 29k back in 1999 for a non nav model. My dad has had 7 acura vehicles ranging from a 1988 legend to a 2006 TL-NAV we still have, and all have been excellent vehicles at a great value, but these days acura is starting to lose the value factor, which is hurting their sales im sure. Plus that styling just drives so many people away that many wont give the vehicle a chance to see how well it performs.

That said, i have always liked acuras but their styling department is definitly out to lunch these days...that tremendous chromed conk needs to die immediatly.

I miss the legend. That will forever be my favorite acura vehicle...give me a 95 type II 6MT legend LS coupe and id be the happiest man alive. I love that car!
Old 06-11-09, 05:53 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Isn’t there a Volkswagen forum you can go play around on, where your VW ego is stroked, where you’re loved, nurtured, and not so annoying? I mean, really, the VW advertising is getting quite old. I’m sure that most people on these boards agree. I love Honda, always have. I’m secure enough, though, in my purchase decision, that I don’t find myself having to defend my ride every day on a Lexus forum. Your VW inferiority complex is truly amazing. You must be really insecure about your purchase, trying to convince everyone you speak with, as well as yourself, that VW design, engineering, and build quality is somehow superior to the Japanese. You appear to be almost VW brainwashed. You’ve got the Passat so high on a pedestal, you can’t see straight. Do you bow down to your Passat every night before you go to bed? Everybody on these boards can see how delusional you are.
Don't just throw b.s. like you did before w/o backing it or following-up w/o something of merit or substance. You have gotten schooled time and time again (it's getting sad, really) but you like to come back and just throw your "spitballs" to make yourself feel better, because really - you know you have nothing to stack up your arguments, you just like to post little emocons, label people you disagree with in condescending demeanors, and resort to pathetic and lowly "attacks" which you seem to have garnered from the elementary school playground you must frequent. But you were expecting a response like this, weren't you? Your constant baiting has not gone unnoticed, and neither have your blatant personal attacks.

Do me a favor and don't respond to any of my posts, you are just trolling, and you know that, let's be honest. It's not my or anyone else’s problem you are have no apparent self control (or decency) when you come across something you "can't stand", so stop making us all suffer through your useless/clueless diatribes and thread-derailment.
Old 06-11-09, 05:57 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

someone didnt get their weinerschnitzel today...

i dont understand the VW hype....ive owned a VW (92 GTI 16V - montana green) and it was fun but had endless issues...at the time i also owned an acura integra that was just as much fun and it never let me down...

My sister is a VW nut and has a 2001 Jetta, which is a nice safe well equipped car, but it also has had endless issues even though its always been dealer maintained...

i just cant fathom owning a vehicle that is off the road more than its on the road.

reliability > all

Last edited by 03 ES; 06-11-09 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 06:05 PM
LexFather

Okay this is closed