Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Wants New Prius to Be America's Next Top Model A Hit in Japan, Updated Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 07:58 AM
LexFather

Post Toyota Wants New Prius to Be America's Next Top Model A Hit in Japan, Updated Hybrid

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

TOYOTA CITY, Japan -- Memo to the beleaguered U.S. car industry: As the recession eases, torment from Toyota may increase.
This Story

Designers of the Prius, the curiously shaped hybrid that since 1997 has allowed up-to-the-minute Americans to advertise their eco-correctness, are going after the Average Joe.

The third-generation Prius is not just for "some special people," said Wahei Hirai, Toyota's managing officer for design. "This is a mainstream car."

The new model is more powerful than its predecessors, with more headroom, a bigger trunk, better gas mileage and a lower price. It is only now being rolled out in the United States, but judging from exceptionally brisk Japanese sales and effusive early reviews, the car looks like a hit. In May, the Prius was Japan's best-selling car.

To keep up with surging domestic demand, overtime has been brought back at the two plants that assemble the car. Workers have been transferred in from factories around the country. Production has grown to 50,000 cars a month, but customers in Japan must wait three to four months to drive home a new Prius.

The car's sudden popularity comes in a country where the recession has been roughly twice as severe as in the United States and where car sales have been slumping for years. Sales here have been helped by new tax incentives.

(go to link for rest of article)

Old 06-09-09, 10:34 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There everywhere, I can't get away from them...
Old 06-09-09, 10:55 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, best selling car period in Japan for the month of May.

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
There everywhere, I can't get away from them...
I haven't even seen one yet. Actually, I don't think there on sale in the US quite yet.
Old 06-09-09, 11:01 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!

I haven't even seen one yet. Actually, I don't think there on sale in the US quite yet.
I've already seen a couple, I pass by a Toyota dealership everyday, this morning, it appeared the salespeople were having a training on it as I seen a group of them gathered around one.
Old 06-09-09, 11:45 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

they actually have been selling already, for at least a week. I get emails from the toyota dealerships near me and they sent me something asking me to come down and drive one.
Old 06-09-09, 11:57 AM
LexFather

Priuschat is going nuts over them...its amazing....

Old 06-09-09, 04:23 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Priuschat is going nuts over them...its amazing....
You should see the comotion they are causing here... Insight... what's that?
Old 06-09-09, 04:29 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

And Car and Driver just compared the two and gave the Insight the win.

The reason? Same as always: driving dynamics. Nothing else ever matters in those damn magazines.

Prius is leaps and bounds over it.
Old 06-09-09, 04:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, Prius orders in Japan are over 100K and counting. The wait time is 3-4 months. I think Dave meant in Japan he's seeing a lot of them, and that makes sense .

And Car and Driver just compared the two and gave the Insight the win.

The reason? Same as always: driving dynamics. Nothing else ever matters in those damn magazines.

Prius is leaps and bounds over it.
Oh, Honda and Driver gave the Insight the win? What a surprise . This despite the fact the Insight is actually slower than the Prius while getting inferior fuel economy. Only a mag like Honda and Driver will give a Honda the win even when it's inferior in almost every conceivable category.
Old 06-09-09, 09:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I dont think those were the only two magazines that gave honda the win. Some of the BIG magazines did as well. I get so many I cant remeber the 2 I saw the reviews in this month or last, and the honda beat the prius. I think some of us are a little Toyota biased. I am guilty as well sometimes, but we have to credit honda for creating the new insight and the FCX clarity ( revolutionary)
Old 06-10-09, 05:08 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont think those were the only two magazines that gave honda the win. Some of the BIG magazines did as well. I get so many I cant remeber the 2 I saw the reviews in this month or last, and the honda beat the prius. I think some of us are a little Toyota biased. I am guilty as well sometimes, but we have to credit honda for creating the new insight and the FCX clarity ( revolutionary)
I drive a Subaru, I had a Honda before that, and I think the Prius is way better than the Insight.
Old 06-10-09, 05:26 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
For some reason the prius gets better reveiws here...
Old 06-10-09, 05:41 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Good stuff, and Toyota will probably have even more sales now that the Insight forced them to lower the price. I can't wait to drive the new Prius though.
Old 06-10-09, 08:05 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Competition is a very good think. I'm glad that consumers get another choice. I like the front end of the Insight a tad better than the Prius, but over the Prius looks like a much more competitive car.

I'm glad true "car enthusiats" can appreciate cars in this segment and can evaluate them for their intended purposes. I'm so sick of reading reviews about hybrid and their lack of....blah....blah....blah. These so called journalists don't "get it".

Not all cars are designed for fast slalom speeds or 0-60 times.

I love cars and enjoy talking about them to people who appreciate cars in ALL segments. From Kias to Lamborghinis.
]
Old 06-10-09, 08:14 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

No one at Toyota Canada giving me any info on the Prius and its suppose to be out this month.

Quick Reply: Toyota Wants New Prius to Be America's Next Top Model A Hit in Japan, Updated Hybrid