Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The biggest peice of junk that I have ever driven: 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 01:37 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Seriously though, I hope the Cruze is a knock out.
That's gonna be a really tough sell. Before the Cobalt it was the Cavalier. The Cavalier wasn't too much better. Even before that was the Monza and that wasn't even better. Even before that was the Vega and I'll stop there.

What's next the Chevy CooCoo then after that the Chevy Caca...

Hopefully GM will learn from it's own history and start making good small cars...

Last edited by Trexus; 06-09-09 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 01:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I might trade in my 335 for a Chevy Cobolt SS. What a machine!

The Cobalt SS is actually pretty fantastic. One of the fastest FWD cars around the Ring.....

This is a basic Cobalt MP is talking about

Old 06-09-09, 01:41 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

lol you should write for TTAC it was that funny
Old 06-09-09, 01:49 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm curious to see if/what mmarshall chimes in (with).

It seems that many times, when someone comes on here and talks about the "typical American cars" lack of quality, he defends them with saying that they're much better in recent years...and that many (citing a particular make/model) are as good or better than a Japanese "equivalent".

Personally, I've had the same kind of experience as the OP. I get behind the wheel of the "typical American car" and, within 15 seconds, came to the realization that whoever designed this car has never driven it. If they had, they would have turned the car around, and redesigned it. Whether that be the control layout or the misplaced pieces of fake chrome that appear to have a single purpose; reflecting sunlight into the driver's eyes.

Last edited by Habious; 06-09-09 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 02:00 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Habious
I'm curious to see if/what mmarshall chimes in (with).

It seems that many times, when someone comes on here and talks about the "typical American cars" lack of quality, he defends them with saying that they're much better in recent years...and that many (citing a particular make/model) are as good or better than a Japanese "equivalent".

Personally, I've had the same kind of experience as the OP. I get behind the wheel of the "typical American car" and, within 15 seconds, came to the realization that whoever designed this car has never driven it. If they had, they would have turned the car around, and redesigned it. Whether that be the control layout or the misplaced pieces of fake chrome that appear to have a single purpose; reflecting sunlight into the driver's eyes.
CobALT IS bad...I did a review on the new Malibu LTZ..it was fantastic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...alibu-ltz.html

Old 06-09-09, 03:05 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Malibu is a German Opel. The Cobalt is an American pos LOL. Great review it's spot on.
Old 06-09-09, 03:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FKL
The Malibu is a German Opel. The Cobalt is an American pos LOL. Great review it's spot on.
I don't believe the Malibu is a German Opel...We also got them great German gem before....now that is a complete POS.....

Old 06-09-09, 03:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Yeah, the Colbalt is a "left over" of the "old GM". And as the OP made sure to point out, the Cruze is coming soon and this will make the Colbalt feel like a 20 year old car. It will be a game changer that will give Toyota and Honda something to worry about.

Check this interior out!!!
I highly highly doubt that. As mentioned already, GM's new interiors photograph better than they look in real life. Game changer? I don't think so. The Cruze is designed by ex-Daewoo engineers in Korea, Korean engineers who work for GM now when GM scooped up Daewoo years ago. Hyundai has yet to make a "game changer" in the small car segment, so what makes you think ex-Daewoo engineers can possibly do it? Also I can almost guarantee you the Cruze will cost quite a bit more than the Cobalt.

Finally, the Civic is due to get a redesign soon, and word is that the next-gen Corolla will be a big step up from the somewhat dissapointing 10th gen model we got now.
Old 06-09-09, 03:20 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i rented a mazda 3 and 6. those were the better ones i've rented.

i also rented an 2009 impala. it was almost fully loaded, so it wasn't that bad. mileage sucked major donkey nuts though. it only had a 4 speed transmission

in the small car category, i wouldn't touch anything american.
Old 06-09-09, 03:20 PM
LexFather

I actually like the Cruze inside and out, we shall see....

Old 06-09-09, 03:29 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cobalt is the worst product GM still sells as new today, bar none. In your experience it doesn't help that it was a rental car, either.

With all my discounts and rebates I was eligible for I could have gotten a base cobalt for only 7 grand brand new and I still didn't bite.

The Chevy Cruze I honestly believe will be a very different story. Very nice looking inside and out, plus initial reviews (from countries outside the US that already have the Cruze) are very good. And with the new turbo 1.4L getting 40mpg on the highway without any sort of hybrid powertrain, I think it'll be a real winner.
Old 06-09-09, 03:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I had a coworker who had a new yellow Cobalt SS who would always brag how great the car was and how fast it was and it could beat all these more expensive cars. He was a die hard buy American guy and only drove GM vehicles and would always criticize Japanese cars. He gave me a ride in the Cobalt SS and while it was quick, it was also a total POS and drove like crap. The quality and interior design was terrible and it felt like it was about to fall apart and break down, it was awful. I was not impressed at all aside from its power. I gave him a ride in my GS430 and I could tell he was pretty shocked at how smooth it was and how nice and solid the interior was compared to his Cobalt SS. Granted they are 2 different kinds of cars priced very differently but before he was going on and on how GM cars are just as nice as Japanese cars now but then changed his tune after he rode in my GS, he did not take any more shots at Japanese cars or saying his car was so great after that. Later on he had to get rid of the Cobalt SS because it was a lemon and giving him so many problems and it could not handle all the miles he was putting on it, he did not seem so enthusiastic about getting another GM vehicle.

If you think the Cobalt is bad though then try driving a 98-99 Chevy Cavalier. It is without a doubt the biggest POS I have ever sat in and the interior could not be any more plainer, cheaper, or worse if they tried. Everything you touched and operated reeked of poor design, poor engineering, cost cutting, and cheapness. It was insulting. The plastic had to have been the same as the stuff Fisher price uses. Opening the door revealed how poorly and cheaply designed it was, you could see it bowing and hear parts stressing. If you left the door open for a little while it would not shut right. It was so epically bad that even while I rented it when I was getting my Eclipse repaired I just stayed home and never drove it once other then to go to work. I did not even want to drive around and beat the s*** out of it just because it was a rental, it was so bad. The only slightly nice thing about it was the engine was fairly peppy but that is more because the car is so light from no quality built into it. It made me appreciate my Eclipse so much more and I was so relieved after getting back my Eclipse, it felt like I was sitting in and driving a Bentley compared to the Cavalier. Thing is the previous model cavalier interior with the ugly "hair" in the shifter path was much nicer then this one and that was a horrible interior. Here is a picture of the cavalier interior
Attached Thumbnails The biggest peice of junk that I have ever driven: 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt-cavalierinterior.jpg  
Old 06-09-09, 03:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
I had a coworker who had a new yellow Cobalt SS who would always brag how great the car was and how fast it was and it could beat all these more expensive cars. He was a die hard buy American guy and only drove GM vehicles and would always criticize Japanese cars. He gave me a ride in the Cobalt SS and while it was quick, it was also a total POS and drove like crap. The quality and interior design was terrible and it felt like it was about to fall apart and break down, it was awful. I was not impressed at all aside from its power. I gave him a ride in my GS430 and I could tell he was pretty shocked at how smooth it was and how nice and solid the interior was compared to his Cobalt SS. Granted they are 2 different kinds of cars priced very differently but before he was going on and on how GM cars are just as nice as Japanese cars now but then changed his tune after he rode in my GS, he did not take any more shots at Japanese cars or saying his car was so great after that. Later on he had to get rid of the Cobalt SS because it was a lemon and giving him so many problems and it could not handle all the miles he was putting on it, he did not seem so enthusiastic about getting another GM vehicle.

If you think the Cobalt is bad though then try driving a 98-99 Chevy Cavalier. It is without a doubt the biggest POS I have ever sat in and the interior could not be any more plainer, cheaper, or worse if they tried. Everything you touched and operated reeked of poor design, poor engineering, cost cutting, and cheapness. It was insulting. The plastic had to have been the same as the stuff Fisher price uses. Opening the door revealed how poorly and cheaply designed it was, you could see it bowing and hear parts stressing. If you left the door open for a little while it would not shut right. It was so epically bad that even while I rented it when I was getting my Eclipse repaired I just stayed home and never drove it once other then to go to work. I did not even want to drive around and beat the s*** out of it just because it was a rental, it was so bad. The only slightly nice thing about it was the engine was fairly peppy but that is more because the car is so light from no quality built into it. It made me appreciate my Eclipse so much more and I was so relieved after getting back my Eclipse, it felt like I was sitting in and driving a Bentley compared to the Cavalier. Thing is the previous model cavalier interior with the ugly "hair" in the shifter path was much nicer then this one and that was a horrible interior. Here is a picture of the cavalier interior
That generation Cavalier is horrible. I think they are all in the junkyard, I don't see any

Old 06-09-09, 03:49 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't know how different an 07 is compared to an 09 (probably not much) but I got a loaner from my fellow wonderful mb dealer when took the benz in.

I agree it was a POS.
I couldn't stop laughing when the saw the AC vents and the borders (whatever you call it) were integrated, well more like carved out to look like vents

wish I had a picture of it

That thing sounded like it was ready to die
Old 06-09-09, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I can't imagine what the Cobalt SS drives like!
Here. See for yourself.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...cobalt-ss.html

A lot of low-RPM torque, but an awkward clutch, hard to start up smoothly in some cases, and some quirky, cheap interior parts.

It wasn't the biggest POS I've driven though. That award goes to the Dodge Caliber.
Take your pick...Caliber, Nitro, Jeep Compass, and a couple of Mitsubishis. They're all about tied....at the bottom of the barrel.

Quick Reply: The biggest peice of junk that I have ever driven: 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt