Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The biggest peice of junk that I have ever driven: 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 03:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow a race for last place, sounds like a recipe for bankruptcy.
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That generation Cavalier is horrible. I think they are all in the junkyard, I don't see any
The Cavalier was classic, low-priced, base transportation built to a budget, using parts that only did not last but were not expected to last. You got exactly what you expected from an entry-level Chevrolet product....in fact, even the smaller, Daewoo-built Chevy Aveo, IMO, showed better overall quality, especially the LT2 version. The Cobalt, admittedly, is a better overall product than the Cavalier, but still not one of the more impressively-built small cars.
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The aveo is so much worse, i wrote a min mini review on it somewhere here, we got it for free when the es300 was in the shop, only good thing was we got it around black friday so i didn't worry about someone slamming there door into it, it was a great feeling haha
Old 06-09-09, 04:17 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That generation Cavalier is horrible. I think they are all in the junkyard, I don't see any
Wow, since you mention it, I can't remember the last time I saw a late '90's Cavalier. That's bad considering they sold like hotcakes.

That car, and the later refreshed model, was always considered and old fashioned (from and engineering standpoint) car in it's own time.
Old 06-09-09, 04:24 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I highly highly doubt that. As mentioned already, GM's new interiors photograph better than they look in real life. Game changer? I don't think so. The Cruze is designed by ex-Daewoo engineers in Korea, Korean engineers who work for GM now when GM scooped up Daewoo years ago. Hyundai has yet to make a "game changer" in the small car segment, so what makes you think ex-Daewoo engineers can possibly do it? Also I can almost guarantee you the Cruze will cost quite a bit more than the Cobalt.

Finally, the Civic is due to get a redesign soon, and word is that the next-gen Corolla will be a big step up from the somewhat dissapointing 10th gen model we got now.
Well, I think they need to be given a little more credit with some of these latest models. I'll be the first to say that they are unlikely to ever reach the longevity that Toyota and Honda vehicles achieve, but cars such as the new Cruze is nothing to sneeze at. I didn't necessarily mean that the Cruze would kill the Civic or Corolla, but in many respects it should meet or beat them.
Of course, as you pointed out, the Civic is already at the end of its cycle, so Honda must have quite a car lined up to replace it since the current Civic I still consider to be best in class. Corolla, however, is still at least 3 years away from replacement.
Old 06-09-09, 04:32 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I don't believe the Malibu is a German Opel...We also got them great German gem before....now that is a complete POS.....
No, the Malibu is a German Opel Vectra. I guess you could call it a "joint effort", but it's clear there isn't much old school GM-esque obnoxious and obvious cost cutting.

Look familiar?

The Malibu is a great, great car. The last two generations were complete and utter garbage in every conceivable way. This goes beyond the sorry "reliability" argument (who cares if they happened to be cheap to drive), the cars were built poorly, had poor safety, looked like trash, and drove like something from a manufacture based in a developing nation - They were both terrible and left the their Japanese foes to really capitalize on their better quality.

But when you inspect the new Malibu, it's clear this is not a regular GM. The body panels are tighter than both the Camry and Accord, the sheetmetal feels MUCH more substantial than both of those cars, the doors are heavier, the chrome is high quality, the trunk is nicely lined and opens very nice, and overall you get a sense of quality when you really look closely at one. They drive well too. At this point, the Malibu is unquestionably on par with the Accord and Camry, and IMO, is built a little better than the Ford Fusion. The interior could stand some better materials, but they are not any worse than the sorry trashy plastics the Japanese are putting into their midsized cars (Altima, Camry, Accord, etc.). I wish Toyota would benefit their mass market cars with at least some of the superb materials from the Lexus models (just proves they can, they choose not to).

Last edited by FKL; 06-09-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 04:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Well, I think they need to be given a little more credit with some of these latest models. I'll be the first to say that they are unlikely to ever reach the longevity that Toyota and Honda vehicles achieve, but cars such as the new Cruze is nothing to sneeze at. I didn't necessarily mean that the Cruze would kill the Civic or Corolla, but in many respects it should meet or beat them.
Of course, as you pointed out, the Civic is already at the end of its cycle, so Honda must have quite a car lined up to replace it since the current Civic I still consider to be best in class. Corolla, however, is still at least 3 years away from replacement.
We'll see. The Cobalt was supposed to "meet or beat" the Civic and Corolla when it first came out. People were saying what a huge leap the Cobalt was over the Cavalier when Cobalt pics first showed up. If the Cruze proves itself to be a competitive car, I will fully give it credit. Until then, I refuse to.

I know the next-gen Corolla is years away. All I'm saying is that judging from some rumoured insider info the next-gen is supposed to be a big leap over this current model.
Old 06-09-09, 04:56 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Chevy Cruze is miles ahead of the Cobolt in styling & fit/finish. I had an opportunity to see, sit, feel this car at the NYIAS a few months ago (see NYIAS thread). I was very impressed!
Old 06-09-09, 05:20 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
No, the Malibu is a German Opel Vectra. I guess you could call it a "joint effort", but it's clear there isn't much old school GM-esque obnoxious and obvious cost cutting.

Look familiar?
Well, that's of course most directly the Saturn Aura rebadge. Yes, the Malibu is based on this car but is different in many ways (the Malibu doesn't share a single panel and it is sized differently as well). And it has about 2 years extra development for improvements.
Old 06-09-09, 05:23 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Wow... I rented a compact car recently for a road trip, and boy am I glad I didn't end up with a Cobalt! They actually gave me the latest model Hyundai Elantra, and I was very impressed. The interior materials and build quality were great, it was roomy and comfortable, and it drove very well. I would def. consider one for my next beater.
Old 06-09-09, 06:26 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
The Malibu is a great, great car. The last two generations were complete and utter garbage in every conceivable way. This goes beyond the sorry "reliability" argument (who cares if they happened to be cheap to drive), the cars were built poorly, had poor safety, looked like trash, and drove like something from a manufacture based in a developing nation - They were both terrible and left the their Japanese foes to really capitalize on their better quality.

But when you inspect the new Malibu, it's clear this is not a regular GM. The body panels are tighter than both the Camry and Accord....At this point, the Malibu is unquestionably on par with the Accord and Camry, and IMO, is built a little better than the Ford Fusion.
But, there's the rub...If I were in the market for a mid-sized family sedan, would I go for...

The Camry - My mother's on her 7th Camry. Not one problem with ANY of them in about 20 years. Rock-solid, reliable, easy to drive (I took my driving test in a Camry in 1988), well equipped (even on the base trim levels), etc. It's been the best-selling car for 9 of the past 10 years.

The Accord - My dad owned 3 of these in his lifetime. Again, ZERO problems...ever. It's been Car and Driver's recipient of 10 Best recognition for 23 of the last 27 years.

The Mailbu - This year, it has some potential. Hell, it may even be the best car Chevy's ever made...better than the Camry...better than the Accord. But, what's Chevy's sales slogan gonna be? "Look, we know we've been making Pieces of Crap for 20 years now, but trust us, this time...we didn't. Promise!"
Old 06-09-09, 06:34 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha nice review...
its funny, i saw a cobalt sedan on the road today and i was thinking to myself how ugly/cheap it looks..
granted some toyotas are cheap economy cars, but id take a yaris with manual windows and locks over a cobalt.
Old 06-09-09, 06:43 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

My Lexus dealer had Enterprise for rentals I wound up with a real UNSAFE piece of junk. It was a Chevy ??? ZR2 4 wheel drive with an anemic V6 my lawn mower had more power. I survived day one but day two I was cut off and had to slam on the brakes (scared the **** out of me literally and figuratively) if that guy did not move I would have nailed him at 45 MPH this thing needed several hundred feet to stop in. (wanted to tow it back but I would have to pay) I had to have two way radio contact driving to work as going up hill I dropped 60 MPH by time I made the top four ways on and using the shoulder dropped it in neutral gas pedal to the floor slammed it in drive to gain some power. Transmission ground gears (YES) lets say this much at 20,000 miles engine and tranny were gone.
Old 06-09-09, 07:08 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CorLexusES
granted some toyotas are cheap economy cars, but id take a yaris with manual windows and locks over a cobalt.
Good choice.
Old 06-09-09, 07:15 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious;4590186But, what's Chevy's sales slogan gonna be? [I
"Look, we know we've been making Pieces of Crap for 20 years now, but trust us, this time...we didn't. Promise!"[/I]
Exactly, when someone says trust me...do the opposite.

I'd rather have a 1999 Toyota Tercel than a 2010 Chevy Cobalt...

Quick Reply: The biggest peice of junk that I have ever driven: 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt