Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Soooo the 2009 TL barely scrapes by a four year old Passat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 01:38 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Soooo the 2009 TL barely scrapes by a four year old Passat?

Sad, but true. The TL beat the CC, a four year old Passat B6 with a tux on, by a margin almost as thin as the paint Honda uses...And the editors even reversed their decisions when it came to which car they would punk down their own money on...

Just more evidence of Honda's delusional path going forward for Acura...They can't even get their top trim SH-AWD Accord to make any measurable ground on a four year old Passat? That is either a huge testimate to how great a car the Passat is, or how incapable Honda is to build vehilces that compete in the luxury segment. Or maybe, a little of both?

What I was wondering is if the CC and TL compete tit for tat, I guess that means Audi is in another league all together from Acura? Just wondering, but either way, it's getting desperate for Honda's luxury brand which seems to be resting solely on some sort of hyped marketing gimmick that they have "cool tech". I mean, what a bunch of absolute hogwash. Sorry Honda, but flashy lights around your gauges and some LEDs in the tail lights don't qualify as "high-tech" - And neither does the seizure inducing tasteless design conventions that you are trying to stigmatize every one of your vehicles with. Give me a break already, or at least wake me when these phonies figure out what things like direct injection and torque are.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8093

Last edited by FKL; 06-10-09 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 03:53 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will it ever stop?

The TL is a piece of crap, the Passat is the greatest car on earth.
Go post this crap on your VW forums.
Old 06-10-09, 03:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, seriously, this is getting annoying. Besides the most dedicated Acura fanatics everyone pretty much admits that the new TL is a piece of crap. We went through this 400 billion times already.

And there are maybe 2-3 people in the world that care about WV.
Old 06-10-09, 05:46 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Why is the new TL a peice of crap?

Sure it does not win any match up with it's competitor and it's look is well ugly. But does that automatically make the TL a piece of crap?

TL is ugly and with it's weight and size, even SH-AWD will not make miracle happen so it will not beat anyone of it's competitor. But it's still a darn good car and let's just leave it at that.
Old 06-10-09, 06:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wmb0000
Why is the new TL a peice of crap?

Sure it does not win any match up with it's competitor and it's look is well ugly. But does that automatically make the TL a piece of crap?

TL is ugly and with it's weight and size, even SH-AWD will not make miracle happen so it will not beat anyone of it's competitor. But it's still a darn good car and let's just leave it at that.
Uh, no. It is indeed a piece of crap, and here's why.

1) Its ugly. Very ugly. Perhaps the ugliest car in productions.

2) Its engine technology is ancient, and the worst in its class. Even GM put a proper DOHC DI V6 in the CTS.

3) Its build quality and interior is way worse than the previous model.

4) It still has an antiquated 5 speed transmission.

5) Its price grew enormously, and its no longer a decent value like the previous TL's used to be.

So yeah, while its not a piece of crap when compared to lets say a busted up early 90ies Geo Metro, it is a piece of crap when u compare its value, features, build quality, and appearance to its competition.
Old 06-10-09, 06:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There was a guys with a black TL next to me at a red light yesterday. I look over to see who on earth would that ugly car. It was some 20 year kid in the driver seat thinking hes on top of world He smile at me thinking I was admiring his new TL, little did he know I was totally disgusted in how the chrome shield grill contrast with a black TL. This kid is now feeling pretty good about himself and starts to rev his engine The light turns green and he floors the TL and all I can see is that ugly chrome smiling face trim in the back. I got a good laugh from it, that really made my day.
Old 06-10-09, 06:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
There was a guys with a black TL next to me at a red light yesterday. I look over to see who on earth would that ugly car. It was some 20 year kid in the driver seat thinking hes on top of world He smile at me thinking I was admiring his new TL, little did he know I was totally disgusted in how the chrome shield grill contrast with a black TL. This kid is now feeling pretty good about himself and starts to rev his engine The light turns green and he floors the TL and all I can see is that ugly chrome smiling face trim in the back. I got a good laugh from it, that really made my day.
Were you in the GS?
Old 06-10-09, 06:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

No, I sold my GS a while back, I was in my A6.
Old 06-10-09, 06:36 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Uh, no. It is indeed a piece of crap, and here's why.

1) Its ugly. Very ugly. Perhaps the ugliest car in productions.

2) Its engine technology is ancient, and the worst in its class. Even GM put a proper DOHC DI V6 in the CTS.

3) Its build quality and interior is way worse than the previous model.

4) It still has an antiquated 5 speed transmission.

5) Its price grew enormously, and its no longer a decent value like the previous TL's used to be.

So yeah, while its not a piece of crap when compared to lets say a busted up early 90ies Geo Metro, it is a piece of crap when u compare its value, features, build quality, and appearance to its competition.
1. Look is in the eye of the beholder. There are people out there that still buy this car so it maybe the ugliest car to you and even to me but that does not make it a crappy car.

2. A reliable engine eventhough subpar to it's competitor is not crap. A crap engine is when it will did on you before the 100k mark. I doubt this will be the case.

3. Sorry but this is your opinion. I prefer the interior of this TL to the previous one, although I like the exterior of the previous one more. As far as built quality, I can't be sure since I only spend a little time on both TL but it looks the same or better to me with the current model. Is there complain of the build quality of the new TL when compare to the old one?

4. The 5-speed of the TL in 1999-2003 is crap. The new TL I do not know if it's the same 5-speed. Also if anyone have the slippeage issue know in the 1999-2003 TL.

5. Price increase does not make a car crap. It will no longer be a value leader but how is that crap. We may not like it but that's it.
Old 06-10-09, 06:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

No, I sold my GS a while back, I was in my A6.
I didn't know you got one! Nice pick up
Old 06-10-09, 06:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

1. Look is in the eye of the beholder. There are people out there that still buy this car so it maybe the ugliest car to you and even to me but that does not make it a crappy car.
But you admit that is ugly, so thats 1 point towards crap.

2. A reliable engine eventhough subpar to it's competitor is not crap. A crap engine is when it will did on you before the 100k mark. I doubt this will be the case.
It maybe reliable, but it is subpar like you admit yourself. When you consider the fact that all of its comptition's engines are superior and just as reliable, thats another point towards crap.

3. Sorry but this is your opinion. I prefer the interior of this TL to the previous one, although I like the exterior of the previous one more. As far as built quality, I can't be sure since I only spend a little time on both TL but it looks the same or better to me with the current model. Is there complain of the build quality of the new TL when compare to the old one?

Thats not my opinion, it is a fact that the interior is worse. No more wood trim and instead you get Nissan style silver painted plastics that belong in a sentra? No thanks. As far as build quality, look in previous threads discussing the car. FLK posted some excellent pics showing lack of attention to details. Thats two more crap points.

4. The 5-speed of the TL in 1999-2003 is crap. The new TL I do not know if it's the same 5-speed. Also if anyone have the slippeage issue know in the 1999-2003 TL.
Its still only a five speed, while competition has moved forward with 7 and 8 speeds. Heck, even a 6 speed is dated by todays standards. So thats one more crap point.

5. Price increase does not make a car crap. It will no longer be a value leader but how is that crap. We may not like it but that's it.

Well, but when the price is higher than its competition and yet the whole car is worse, it gets one more crap point for being a crap value.

Seriously, is there a single thing besides SH-AWD that the TL has going for itself compared to competition?
Old 06-10-09, 06:59 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Two things:

1) The IS, G, and 3 all have engines that are more advanced and fuel efficient than the engines in the TL, and I am 100% sure that all will go 200,000 miles plus. It's no longer just about being reliable- it's about being cutting edge and staying at the top of the heap. Acura isn't.

2) Once again, this is not a debate about reliability. Some model year cars are now 2010 (most 2009) and Acura has yet to build a 6 speed automatic. 6ATs were standard fare for many brands in 2003 and 2004, and many are now moving on to 7 and 8 speed automatics. This not only increases fuel efficiency, but also acceleration. There is no way to dispute that Acura is way behind the pack on this.
Old 06-10-09, 07:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Even the old TL didnt have wood trim, it was simulated plastic crap
Old 06-10-09, 07:05 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

I see ..

Crap to me meant unreliable and cost tons to fix during it's lifetime. But crap to you guys meant just way behind it's competitor. I did not think it that way so I guess my argument is mute at this point.

To me TL is not a competitor of the 3 series, IS or A4. It just too big for it. It's a competitor for the ES which is more it's size.
Old 06-10-09, 07:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Even the old TL didnt have wood trim, it was simulated plastic crap
Well, TL's interior was always crap, but for this generation they found a way to make it even crappier

Quick Reply: Soooo the 2009 TL barely scrapes by a four year old Passat?