Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes set to debut S-Class ESF safety concept w/ more airbags than a balloon shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 08:46 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes set to debut S-Class ESF safety concept w/ more airbags than a balloon shop

An inordinate number of the safety features that we now find commonplace in roadgoing automobiles made their debut in the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. So where better to look for the next generation of safety technology? You guessed it.

To that end, Mercedes is slated to unveil a concept S-Class to showcase the safety features it is working on next. The ESF 2009 Concept is based on the S400 Hybrid – as if to show that "green" and "safe" can co-exist – and it comes packed with a bunch of new airbags. There's a new curtain airbag in between the seats (you know, so you don't butt heads), airbags in the seatbelts themselves, and perhaps the most innovative feature, a giant airbag underneath the vehicle that inflates in the case of an imminent crash, adding friction to help the car decelerate and lifting the front of the car a bit to compensate for brake dive. That last part worries us a little, as it strikes us that it could hinder any attempt to steer away from the crash, but for the time being we'll trust that Mercedes knows what it's doing. There are also seat bolsters that can move the occupants a couple of inches away from the doors in case of a side impact, metal beams that can actually inflate – thereby cutting weight and saving space on impact beams – and reflective tires.

With the airbag count rising rapidly, a potential crash is looking more expensive by the day, but Mercedes seems to revel in the "how can you put a price on safety?" approach. Stay tuned for more information, and check out the images in the gallery below in the meantime.
Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/09/m...afety-concept/

Old 06-10-09, 09:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow seat belt airbag and airbag underneath the car, those are pretty neat ideas

soon it's really going to be like that in i-robot
Old 06-10-09, 09:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That is awesome. Mercedes vehicles have always been head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to safety. Nice to see them make new strides.

It is always sad to see anyone hurt or killed in an accident, so the more safety equipment the better, even if it adds weight.
Old 06-10-09, 10:35 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This concept puts the Lexus LS to shame
Old 06-10-09, 11:33 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

lol i dont see the airbag underneath the car as making it into production. sunds kinda useless to me. If the airbag deploys to try and slow you down, and to stop brake dive, then what happens when it was just a false alarm, and you dont get into a crash. Does the airbag automatically retract back for another use? doesnt really make sense. make brakes that brake better, and suspension that compensates for brake dive.
Old 06-10-09, 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
not really to defend lexus, but comparing to a car that's almost 3 yrs old?

companies leap frogging each other, i take this as a great sign coz' that put more pressure on lexus to advance further

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol i dont see the airbag underneath the car as making it into production. sunds kinda useless to me. If the airbag deploys to try and slow you down, and to stop brake dive, then what happens when it was just a false alarm, and you dont get into a crash. Does the airbag automatically retract back for another use? doesnt really make sense. make brakes that brake better, and suspension that compensates for brake dive.
that's similar to false alarm when cars hig potholes and airbags deploy right? in those cases you will need to get those airbags replaced too
Old 06-10-09, 01:11 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 808 Likes on 564 Posts

Seat belt airbag looks kinda painful to me...
Old 06-10-09, 01:13 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mercedes continues to pioneer safety innovations. Safety & luxury has been their forte for yearrrrrrrrrrs!
Old 06-10-09, 01:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Seat belt airbag looks kinda painful to me...
Not sure if I want an airbag blowing up across my chest like that.

Toyota has debuted similar systems already and has them in use in vehicles in other markets. IQ has a rear window airbag and I believe the Crown has a curtain airbag between the passengers as well.

Airbag underneath the car sounds ridiculous.
Old 06-10-09, 01:54 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Wow and here I was thinking this may have been a joke. Those are some extreme safety systems!
Old 06-10-09, 02:03 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
not really to defend lexus, but comparing to a car that's almost 3 yrs old?

companies leap frogging each other, i take this as a great sign coz' that put more pressure on lexus to advance further

that's similar to false alarm when cars hig potholes and airbags deploy right? in those cases you will need to get those airbags replaced too

Well to be fair when was the last time Lexus pioneered something for safety, they are usually too busy copying BMWs latest nooks and crease on the doors and finding new sneaky ways to put Mercedes mirror blinkers on their car without getting into trouble.
Old 06-10-09, 02:10 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

All of those safety features sounds great and could potentially sway MANY top line luxury sedan buyers to go with this MB.

The Lexus LS is a car that has been in production for a while and to compare it with this "concept" Mercedes is pretty unfair. I'm sure Lexus has some good stuff cooking in their R&D departments as well.
Old 06-10-09, 05:55 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Well to be fair when was the last time Lexus pioneered something for safety, they are usually too busy copying BMWs latest nooks and crease on the doors and finding new sneaky ways to put Mercedes mirror blinkers on their car without getting into trouble.
while MB rips off BMWs interior and no one b@tch about that....now that's stealth

Let's hope MB tests their system thoroughly.
Old 06-10-09, 06:25 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Hmmm... comparing a 3 year old car with one that is still to be released.
Originally Posted by Stormwind

Originally Posted by G Star
All of those safety features sounds great and could potentially sway MANY top line luxury sedan buyers to go with this MB.
Unlikely. But if the next generation LS is lacking ,then you may be right. As it stands this car changes nothing IMO.
Old 06-10-09, 08:10 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so, now airbags x10000 are a luxury feature eh?

they can't think of anything else original, so they say "let's put 100 more airbags in there.

well, where's the airbag for my nuts?

Quick Reply: Mercedes set to debut S-Class ESF safety concept w/ more airbags than a balloon shop