Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Buick LaCrosse will get Turbo 4-cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 10:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I

Tha Avalon doesn't NEED to "appeal" to younger people. Like Buick, it has its core of somewhat older but faithful customers. Try and make it a BMW and Toyota will lose that core.
Toyota disagrees with you and has the new higher sale volume and more profitable Avalon to prove they knew what they were doing. I know a 64 year retired CPA that bought his second Avalon in 2006, despite the improved performance, better fuel economy, improved handling, dual exhausts, modern tire/wheels, more contemporary aero styling, etc. It's a nice car that even an enthusiast can appreciate too.
Old 06-10-09, 10:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You misinterpreted what I said. Of course Buick has a high median average-age buyer.....that indeed is a fact. But the stereotype (and it is an inaccurate one) is that it is rare to find younger people driving them. In fact it is not, particularly for the Enclave. I myself had two Buicks before the age of 20, in addition to a Plymouth Barracuda ponycar.
I'm convinced, a Buick is a car for younger people, because you had one when you were in your 20's, except there is the fact it was over 40 years ago, somehow makes it less convincing.

Enclave or Travers/Acadia, whatever just a nice big generic badge-engineered SUV used for a mini van.
Old 06-10-09, 10:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I do think the 2010 Buick LaCrosse looks pretty sharp.
Old 06-11-09, 06:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

If Toyota is so smart, then why did it drop all of its sports cars and sport-coupes from the American market? The Scion tC was marketed under a different nameplate, and it wasn't really a true sports car or sports-coupe to start with. Though a coupe, it is a redone Toyota sedan from the overseas market not sold here.

It's only now....some 4-5 years after the last Celica and MR2 was sold here.....that Toyota is getting around to desiging a true sports-coupe with Subaru.

Tha Avalon doesn't NEED to "appeal" to younger people. Like Buick, it has its core of somewhat older but faithful customers. Try and make it a BMW and Toyota will lose that core.
There's an old saying...."If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it." Avalons and Buicks aren't broke, and don't need fixing. Even in GM's bankrupcy, Buick has been one of GM's most successful divisions, because they know their customers. And, in China, they REALLY appreciate Buicks.
Oh yes they do. Both cars have to draw in younger buyers. As the boomers age they are going to demand cars which appeal to them and have features and engineering they've appreciated in their recent cars - Not things from 40+ years ago. IMO the new LaCrosse is a start for Buick in the U.S. It looks like they might be getting the message.
Old 06-11-09, 06:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
We noticed you really enjoy telling us about great old Buicks and great plastic body Saturns.
Yes, many of us are old enough to remember this junk, including me.

Reality check, today is June 10, 2009.
That's why there are car shows, cruise-in's and various clubs (and forums) to enjoy the old cars. As you said, we're talking 2010 here...

Last edited by LexBob2; 06-11-09 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 06:41 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

the new lacrosse looks pretty slick, esp compared to the current lacrosse (YUCK)
my neighobors have always had buicks since ive been alive (20 years) and the have a current lacrosse and a lucerne super (with the northstar) and both have decent interiors but bland exteriors. Ive never been a fan of buick because i always likened the park avenue (lucerne) to an avalon and the century (lacrosse) to the camry, and thus there is no comparason in quality and design - toyota always has the upper hand. The new lacrosse could be a viable competetor given the impressive design updates and performace enhancements. Its sort of nice to see GM reshaping the images of brands like buick and cadillac, as at one time they were the higher end cars of the automotive spectrum, and they were crippled by the awfulness of the malaise era.

That said, buick's past offerings were horrible. My friend has a 96 park avenue with 96k on it and its completely falling apart...motor leaks like the titanic, the headliner has shredded and fallen down, it has numerous water leaks, the sunroof is broken, locks are broken, all power windows and seats are dead, etc. The only thing that still works is the aftermarket head unit! even the wipers are broken
My old 96 acura integra with 220k was in perfect shape and everything worked fine...
Quality is a major selling point for me, which is why im a toyota/honda fanatic.

oh yeah and the rendevous is the most godawful, fugliest effing POS ive ever seen
Old 06-11-09, 06:46 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota disagrees with you and has the new higher sale volume and more profitable Avalon to prove they knew what they were doing. I know a 64 year retired CPA that bought his second Avalon in 2006, despite the improved performance, better fuel economy, improved handling, dual exhausts, modern tire/wheels, more contemporary aero styling, etc. It's a nice car that even an enthusiast can appreciate too.
Theyre pretty quick as well...deceptivly quick
In addition, toyota made the avalon touring model (think Camry SE) with a sportier suspension, gunmetal wheels, black interior with silver accents and a decklid spoiler that made it appealing to a much younger crowd.
My cousin is 22 and has one and loves it.
Old 06-11-09, 06:48 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to mention Buick's poor braking and poor handling, resulting in poor active safety performance. The poor fuel economy and low output of the crude OHV engines just added to the misery.
I drove my buddy's '97 Le Sabre once. It was terrifying.
Old 06-11-09, 06:49 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I drove my buddy's '97 Le Sabre once. It was terrifying.
agreed. now go test a 97 avalon and feel the difference.
Old 06-11-09, 07:06 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorLexusES
agreed. now go test a 97 avalon and feel the difference.
Actually, a fella I worked for had one. I enjoyed it enough. I felt stable and comfortable where as the Buick made me feel like I was driving a sofa bed, with poor visibility, that may or may not stop when I ask it too.
The Le Sabre was definately far different a feel from my dad's '95 Aurora, which was no sports car, but it was comfortable....and honestly, I think the interior of that car rivals that of the current Impala.

My dad made a good point last night. Chevy was every man's car. Then you got a Pontiac. Then you got a Buick and that meant that you made it. And if you were really well off, you ended up getting a Buick. And then GM began branding all of their cars the same. So you have a Buick Skylark, Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Oldsombile Intrigue and Alero, Pontiac Grand Am, Cadillac Catera....look closely and discover just how similar these vehicles are. The Catera may have had a bigger engine than the Cavalier, but the body shape is the same.
Old 06-11-09, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

We noticed you really enjoy telling us about great old Buicks and great plastic body Saturns.
Yes, many of us are old enough to remember this junk, including me.

Reality check, today is June 10, 2009.
Thank you.......I can read a calender.

Reality Check. Saturn dumped the plastic-body cars. Saturn went downhill after that.....big time.

Reality check. Buick will do the same thing if it dumps its core customers.

Once AGAIN, you misinterpreted, in green and red letters, what I said in posts and stretched what I said. Some old Buicks were worth defending. Some weren't.....especially the 80s-early 90's vintage ones. Please.....I don't mind discussing cars with you (that's what this forum is for), but you are going to reply to my posts, please address what I SAID, not what you think you wanted (or didn't want) to hear.

Now, let's get back to the topic.....the turbo4 LaCrosse.

And, I'll see you guys layer. I just got another car review request, and I'm out of the thread for the rest of the day.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-11-09 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 07:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you.......I can read a calender.

Now, let's get back to the topic.....the turbo4 LaCrosse.
You are welcome, because other posters were also wondering what era you were living in (just kidding).

And IMHO, that new Buick LaCrosse looks quite modern.
Old 06-11-09, 07:55 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Please.....I don't mind discussing cars with you (that's what this forum is for), but you are going to reply to my posts, please address what I SAID, not what you think you wanted (or didn't want) to hear.

Uhhhh, thanks for another clear message, whatever it means.
Most agree, I have responded concisely to your retro dialogue.

I do agree we have gone OT.
Old 06-11-09, 10:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Actually, a fella I worked for had one. I enjoyed it enough. I felt stable and comfortable where as the Buick made me feel like I was driving a sofa bed, with poor visibility, that may or may not stop when I ask it too.
The Le Sabre was definately far different a feel from my dad's '95 Aurora, which was no sports car, but it was comfortable....and honestly, I think the interior of that car rivals that of the current Impala.

My dad made a good point last night. Chevy was every man's car. Then you got a Pontiac. Then you got a Buick and that meant that you made it. And if you were really well off, you ended up getting a Buick. And then GM began branding all of their cars the same. So you have a Buick Skylark, Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Oldsombile Intrigue and Alero, Pontiac Grand Am, Cadillac Catera....look closely and discover just how similar these vehicles are. The Catera may have had a bigger engine than the Cavalier, but the body shape is the same.
The first year or two after I got my license my uncle was driving his 96 or 97 Buick Le Sabre and stopped in a gas station and said give it a shot and try driving it. I was only used to driving a small 87 Honda Accord, Corsica for drivers ed, and a few smaller sportier cars so I was not used to a car like a Le Sabre. I too was terrified, the brakes were horrible and I never got used to them nor felt safe using them, the visibility was poor, steering so loose, it was so floaty, and with the v6 I always kept giving it too much gas. There was a night and day difference between the Accord which felt like a sports car compared the Le Sabre. I never wanted to drive it again after that.

I loved the 95 Aurora when I was younger, I remember getting a ride in one and was amazed how futuristic it looked and the futuristic interior, especially all lit up at night. I still remember the temp control being on the door instead of the center dash which I thought was really cool. I also loved the last Gen Buick Riviera and liked the last 2 generations of the Lincoln Mark 7 coupe. Although they had their flaws they had edgy concept car designs and you could tell GM and Lincoln at least tried with those cars to compete.

Here is a pic of the door design on the 95 Aurora which I still find to be a nice looking car and design. It was ahead of its time.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Buick LaCrosse will get Turbo 4-cylinder-oldsmobileaurora-sand-15.jpg  
Old 06-11-09, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The first year or two after I got my license my uncle was driving his 96 or 97 Buick Le Sabre and stopped in a gas station and said give it a shot and try driving it. I was only used to driving a small 87 Honda Accord, Corsica for drivers ed, and a few smaller sportier cars so I was not used to a car like a Le Sabre. I too was terrified, the brakes were horrible and I never got used to them nor felt safe using them, the visibility was poor, steering so loose, it was so floaty, and with the v6 I always kept giving it too much gas. There was a night and day difference between the Accord which felt like a sports car compared the Le Sabre. I never wanted to drive it again after that.
Actually, you're right. LeSabres, especially the pre-2000 models, were designed for maximum comfort over bumps, necessating a very soft suspension. To someone used to sportier-driving models, they would indeed feel floaty. But, you can't have both. If you are going to design a car that floats like a magic carpet over bumps (and apparantly a lot of people like that type of ride, as shown by that-vintage LeSabre's huge sales numbers), you generally can't have sports-sedan handling with it.

The post-2000 Lesaberes were a little stiffer, but would still probably be soft by your standards.

Quick Reply: 2010 Buick LaCrosse will get Turbo 4-cylinder