Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will next gen IS and GS be out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 08:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The GS460 HAS direction injection. HP numbers were dropped so it didn't overpower the flagship LS460.

It is a 1UR-FSE motor. The "S" indicates a direct injection head.

Here's an old thread Kevin brought up last year:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

Here are some pics of the Engine from an 08 Lexus GS460 in Matador Red:

that's what i thought, thanks for clarifying, ryan
Old 06-10-09, 08:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 757 Likes on 527 Posts

I love my Lexus, but man do they make some ugly engines Powerful but a mess to look at
Old 06-10-09, 09:16 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Don't ever trust that "something" again...
LMAO!!
Old 06-10-09, 09:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I love my Lexus, but man do they make some ugly engines Powerful but a mess to look at
That is a good observation.

The 3UZ looks much simpler and cleaner.
Old 06-10-09, 11:07 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
It looked dated the day it was revealed in January, 2004. I'll never forget the immediate disappointment felt by many members of this board the moment it was finally shown to the public. I:
Yes the Lexus GS is a huge disappointment. Not so much the materials but the design. IT SUCKS!........PERIOD. The last thing the GS looks like is a sports sedan. It is boring and the refresh a few years ago uses very cheap plastic crome on the front.

The little door thing on the left side of the steering wheel that contains secondary controls is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in an automobile.

Also the three piece wood steering wheel is lame....and the worst part is the Star Trek looking piece of wood trim on the door panels....LOL.

Old 06-10-09, 11:08 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Something tells me Lexus will ditch the GS
I have a feeling you are right.
Old 06-10-09, 11:29 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I have a feeling you are right.
Wanna put down a wager?

Old 06-10-09, 11:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

i wonder if the 3GS will still be rockin' a cassette player until it's replaced.
Old 06-10-09, 11:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wonder if the 3GS will still be rockin' a cassette player until it's replaced.
The SC still does after seven years from release.

I think the GS can pull it off for six...
Old 06-10-09, 11:57 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
The sc is basically already replaced by isc
Totally different class. The SC will be back.

Originally Posted by flipside909
The GS460 HAS direction injection. HP numbers were dropped so it didn't overpower the flagship LS460.

It is a 1UR-FSE motor. The "S" indicates a direct injection head.
Didn't the 2nd gen (and 3rd when it was first released ? ) overpower the LS?

I vote for a 400hp 4GS

P.S. When is Toyota going to adapt valvematic to its V6 and V8 engines? I'm salivating to see the result.

IIRC older valvetronic BMW engines don't have DI because they had no room in the head. I'm sure Toyota\Lexus could pull it off....

Would love to see it in the 3IS/4GS/3SC

~10% better fuel economy, ~5% better torque, ~10% better horsepower.

p.p.s will the next gen Lexi be lighter?
Old 06-11-09, 12:40 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

I love the look of the GS's exterior. It's the best looking gen of GS yet. The interior is kind of boring. Except for the seats I guess.
Old 06-11-09, 04:11 AM
DeTomaso
Rookie

I think it is strange Lexus lowered the power of the GS460 compared to the LS460. Did they fear the GS would 'steal' sales away from the LS?
I thought the GS was meant to be a sporty sedan to compete with the 5 series, A6 and E class...dropping engine output wont help it sell any better. Besides, who has the money to spend will probably buy an LS anyway, even if the GS has the same engine and power.

I think Lexus will go for direct injection turbo engines in their next gen GS (and maybe IS) to lower displacement, weight and fuel consumption, just like Audi and BMW are doing right now.
To drop even more weight Lexus should use more aluminium, as stated in another thread Audi is going for a substantial weight reduction for their future cars.
I also hope they will make work of better interior design with more aluminium, wood and higher quality plastics. Take a look at the interior of a Jaguar XF and you know why.
Old 06-11-09, 06:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DeTomaso
I think it is strange Lexus lowered the power of the GS460 compared to the LS460. Did they fear the GS would 'steal' sales away from the LS?
I thought the GS was meant to be a sporty sedan to compete with the 5 series, A6 and E class...dropping engine output wont help it sell any better. Besides, who has the money to spend will probably buy an LS anyway, even if the GS has the same engine and power.
Agreed.. The GS400 was more powerful than the LS400 of the era. "Something wicked this way comes" what happened?? Why not continue & build on that formula? The GS series is having an identity crisis.. What will the 4th gen become if there is a one?

I think Lexus will go for direct injection turbo engines in their next gen GS (and maybe IS) to lower displacement, weight and fuel consumption, just like Audi and BMW are doing right now.
To drop even more weight Lexus should use more aluminium, as stated in another thread Audi is going for a substantial weight reduction for their future cars.
I also hope they will make work of better interior design with more aluminium, wood and higher quality plastics. Take a look at the interior of a Jaguar XF and you know why.
this is wishful thinking.. Using aluminum 7 turbo charging will result in higher production costs which will in turn result in higher MSRP.. Some are complaining about the prices of Mercedes C class & BMW 3 series being in ballpark of the Lexus GS series.. Just imagine Lexus implementing the above mentioned measures in their vehicles.. Say bye bye to those sweet prices.. Lexus has been about luxury at a lower cost. That has been their forte since the beginning.
Old 06-11-09, 07:13 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
Is it just me or is the current gs already looking dated? I was a bit dissapointed with the looks of the current gs and peformance considering its a sports sedan. And based on the sales figures of the gs i'm not the only one who feels that way.

No I'm one who also think the car looked dated at release and was very dissapointed, its not ugly but its true to Toyota's roots, its just a nice boring car. I personally hope they keep the GS. I think they have a lot of potential to actually compete with the other sport sedans out there, they just need to approach the intentions of the GS more seriously and stop throwing pillows and feathers at it.
Old 06-11-09, 07:53 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Hopefully the next gen GS will be worth getting. The current GS with it's design & engine options is WEAK!!! I feel like the GS lost alot of fans that went over to MB,BMW,AUDI & JAG.

Quick Reply: When will next gen IS and GS be out?