Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will next gen IS and GS be out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 08:00 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Points for Trying

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The little door thing on the left side of the steering wheel that contains secondary controls is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in an automobile.
Nowadays people complain that there are too many buttons but @ the same time they want more features, so I applaud Lexus for trying something different. From a user standpoint, I can see how this could get annoying but from an aesthetic standpoint, it does lessen the clutter ...
Old 06-11-09, 08:37 AM
Trexus

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The sc is basically already replaced by isc
I don't think the ISC replaces the SC in any way. The IS line is and always will be entry level just like the 3 Series, C Class or A4. The SC is not. There hasn't been too many models that Lexus has discontinued (SC 300 and IS Sportcross) and I don't think they will fully discontinue the SC altogether...

http://www.lexus.com/models/allModels/#/convertibles/

Last edited by Trexus; 06-11-09 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Yes the Lexus GS is a huge disappointment. Not so much the materials but the design. IT SUCKS!........PERIOD. The last thing the GS looks like is a sports sedan. It is boring and the refresh a few years ago uses very cheap plastic crome on the front.

The little door thing on the left side of the steering wheel that contains secondary controls is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in an automobile.

Also the three piece wood steering wheel is lame....and the worst part is the Star Trek looking piece of wood trim on the door panels....LOL.

Thats odd I love it. And for the first couple of years it sold very well. THe interior looks like no other car. I love the swoopy details and curves and I like the fact the wood is so shapely on the doors.

Boring? You should hop in with my for a ride. Otherwise, yes its so damn boring and I love it. I can't hear any noise inside the car, it has a wonderful ride even with low profile 18" tires and in a seemigly crazier and crazier world, its nice to sit and drive a car that relaxes me.

Old 06-11-09, 08:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

^^ Every car needs to rip across the Nuerburgring at a blistering pace otherwise it's a fail of a car...
Old 06-11-09, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
^^ Every car needs to rip across the Nuerburgring at a blistering pace otherwise it's a fail of a car...
You are right. Since we all own Lexus, we all fail at vehicles I am so miserable, C&D hates my car and oh dear it doesn't handle like a 911.

Old 06-11-09, 09:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Is there a Nuerburgring in Japan?
Old 06-11-09, 09:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Lexus, but man do they make some ugly engines Powerful but a mess to look at
That's why they have those big plastic covers.
Old 06-11-09, 09:15 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is there a Nuerburgring in Japan?
If they can ship the LF-A over they can ship the other cars
Old 06-11-09, 09:16 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

At the end of the day the GS did't have the impacat or excitement that the IS brought during it's release. I really hope that the GS is redesigned after 5 years and not 6.
Old 06-11-09, 09:22 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by GTSLEX
At the end of the day the GS did't have the impacat or excitement that the IS brought during it's release. I really hope that the GS is redesigned after 5 years and not 6.
The 2GS cycle was much longer than 6 years. I'm sure Lexus will make the 4GS exciting and hopefully bring out a GS F...
Old 06-11-09, 09:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually the 1st generation of IS is a joke, it didnt make any impact or excitement when it was 1st release. The BMW 3 series owners get a good laugh form it, thats about it. The 1st gen IS was slow, ugly, chealy made and small. The 2nd gen IS got better reviews.
Old 06-11-09, 09:29 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Trexus
The 2GS cycle was much longer than 6 years. I'm sure Lexus will make the 4GS exciting and hopefully bring out a GS F...
THe 2nd GS is a great design. When it first came out it created a lot of buzz in the sports sedan world. I'm sure lexus will do the same for the 4th gen.

Another thing that turned me off to the 3rd gen gs was the gs330. Why the heck did they not put the 3.5ltr and 4.6ltr engines at release? I believe this was a critical mistake by lexus.
Old 06-11-09, 09:36 AM
Trexus

THe 2nd GS is a great design. When it first came out it created a lot of buzz in the sports sedan world. I'm sure lexus will do the same for the 4th gen.

Another thing that turned me off to the 3rd gen gs was the gs330. Why the heck did they not put the 3.5ltr and 4.6ltr engines at release? I believe this was a critical mistake by lexus.
Very true. Lexus swithed from the 3.0 inline six to a 3.0 V6 when the 3GS 300 was release and it did seem like an afterthought. Not sure why Lexus just didn't bring out the GS 350 when it was already in Japan at that time I believe.

As for the 460 engine it wasn't out yet when the 3GS 430 came out. Lexus also wanted to focus on the GS 450h as well which is the second fastest Lexus behind the IS F...

Last edited by Trexus; 06-11-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 09:46 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Actually the 1st generation of IS is a joke, it didnt make any impact or excitement when it was 1st release. The BMW 3 series owners get a good laugh form it, thats about it. The 1st gen IS was slow, ugly, chealy made and small. The 2nd gen IS got better reviews.
Not completely true.

The 1IS is great handler, on par with the 3er but was accused for being a Lexus-rebadged Toyota (which it is...). The auto journalists actually like the car and the only down sides of it are the interior space and not up to the Lexus standard, which is why it didn't sell well.

The 2IS on the other hand was designed to be a Lexus from day one but the handling is compromised a bit for comfort and the interior space although is improved but still behind the competitors. The journalist crucified it for being too soft but they failed to note that it is a success in terms of sales and brought it younger buyers for Lexus. The IS F has a very stiff suspension unlike any Lexus which gives it great performance on the track but some would say it's too stiff for a daily driver. BMW/Honda-sucking auto journalists always knock on it for having no manual tranny and the so-called "fake" quad exhaust but they failed to realized that their beloved R8 and the $300k+ Lambo are also among the guilty party...

So the bottom line is Lexus just can't win no matter what they do in the eyes of the auto journalists. However that really doesn't matter as long as people keep buying Lexus because like I said even though the so-called "enthusiasts" are making the loudest noise they are only 5% of the general population. The other 95% don't really give a damn about what a car can do in the 'Ring, slalom or skidpad.

At the end of the day, I don't want a Lexus 3-series or 5-series. I like the IS and GS for what it is, if I want a 3/5er I'll just head to my local BMW dealer.
Old 06-11-09, 09:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the isc is far from a replacement of the 2sc, it's not even close. from a design, qualtiy, and prince point of view the 2sc is easily a class up

i also don't buy the argument that they don't want the gs460 performance to be over ls460. gs430hp number was on top of ls430 and they sold just fine. given they are the "same" engine it's still a mystery to most why the gs460 only has 342hp

i agree though the 3gs has been a let down (and i own one), it's nothing like how the 2gs hit the market, and the 2is debut (which was a few months apart from the 3gs) brought up a much better response

Quick Reply: When will next gen IS and GS be out?