Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will next gen IS and GS be out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 08:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
3GS marketing/advertising has been pretty poor. THe only ad I remember much is the ad where they are drifting and do the 360 to park the car. The initial ads were horrible to me. Very unusual since ads are usually on point.
The funny thing is that when that drifting ad was aired, GS didnt have a VSC off button and there was no way that GS can do drifts like it did on those commercials.
Old 06-12-09, 08:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The HS250h & the RX are the only new/redesigned Lexus models to date. Those two vehicles should give us an idea of the design language of models to come including the IS/GS series..
Not necessarily true, one is a hybrid that everybody expected to look different from a regular car, and the other is a SUV, which, well, looks like a SUV, with the nose many believe to be derived from the current IS.
Oh and I have grown used to the new RX's design, it's better than I thought initially. i.e.not ugly, though I still think the 2RX is the best looking RX.
Old 06-12-09, 08:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Not necessarily true, one is a hybrid that everybody expected to look different from a regular car, and the other is a SUV, which, well, looks like a SUV, with the nose many believe to be derived from the current IS.
Oh and I have grown used to the new RX's design, it's better than I thought initially. i.e.not ugly, though I still think the 2RX is the best looking RX.
Both new offereings have the Venza front grill/styling. I expect it on future Lexus models.. Two for two is bad.. It reminds me of the lovely bird beak which adorns the entire Acura line up.
Old 06-12-09, 08:43 AM
LexFather

Both new offereings have the Venza front grill/styling. I expect it on future Lexus models.. Two for two is bad.. It reminds me of the lovely bird beak which adorns the entire Acura line up.
Get your eyes checked. Also the HS grill is supposedly for hybrids, not all sedans. Oddly the RX 450h does not have it. Will the GS/LS have it in the future? Who knows.

Old 06-12-09, 08:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Get your eyes checked. Also the HS grill is supposedly for hybrids, not all sedans. Oddly the RX 450h does not have it. Will the GS/LS have it in the future? Who knows.
Nah, my eyes are fine. No rose colored glasses here.. Would you like me to post the family album starring daddy Venza for comparison purposes?
Old 06-12-09, 08:54 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I really think they did a poor job of marketing the car- the activity was very limited.
Absolutely. Whats interesting is that I saw a new 5-series commercial last week. That car is going to be replaced in a few months!

And I never EVER seen a Lexus hybrid commercial. Just a couple corny print ads in the Architectural Digest. Lame.
Old 06-12-09, 09:01 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

It reminds me of the lovely bird beak which adorns the entire Acura line up.
I was looking at the HS grill in one of the pictures yesterday and said basically the same thing. If that area around the L emblem was all chromed out as well, it wouldn't look that much different from the Acura grills. Its not exactly the same, but the similarity unfortunately is there.
Old 06-12-09, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Default http://www.clublexus.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4597584

Nah, my eyes are fine. No rose colored glasses here.. Would you like me to post the family album starring daddy Venza for comparison purposes?
How about I help u out. You do like how BMWs look so yeah, u need glasses.

Lets see, debuted in what 2004?

LF-C 2005?

LF-sH concept debuted in what 2006?

And to save you trouble before u go there.

Its simply an EVOLUTION Of the horizontal grill Lexus has used in concepts and production cars for years. Hybrid buyers said they want to stand out more so this is what Lexus came up with. Will all like it? No. Is it a beak? Hell no, not even close. The beak simply is tacked on and just horrible design, period.

Old 06-12-09, 09:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

LOL@ trying to go all out.. BMW & Infiniti had something to do with the styling of the grill ? Listen, the Venza mustache is unmistakable on the new RX & HS250h. It is cheesy looking. Anyone else agree?
Old 06-12-09, 10:05 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My main gripe is Toyota/Lexus' attempts to incorporate headlights and grilles into one slid "bar" across the front of a vehicle without any break for sheetmetal. It looks AWFUL IMO.

The HS has this, as do the Venza (though I love the Venza's exterior) and Land Cruiser. The RX has the stupid chrome "whiskers" coming off the top edge of the grille and the GS nearly has the headlights incorporated into the grille.

Makes me a little afraid to see the front of the 4GS, to be honest.
Old 06-12-09, 10:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

My main gripe is Toyota/Lexus' attempts to incorporate headlights and grilles into one slid "bar" across the front of a vehicle without any break for sheetmetal. It looks AWFUL IMO.
The 90-96 LS400 is similar, my guess is you don't like them ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-12-09 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-09, 11:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not buying into the concept that a hybrid has to look different and ugly.
Old 06-12-09, 11:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

But back on topic, hopefully some substantial news about timing of new GS/IS leaks out soon, I wish...............
Old 06-12-09, 06:36 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HS has this, as do the Venza (though I love the Venza's exterior) and Land Cruiser. The RX has the stupid chrome "whiskers" coming off the top edge of the grille and the GS nearly has the headlights incorporated into the grille.

Tundra and Tacoma does this as well
Old 06-12-09, 08:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really think they did a poor job of marketing the car- the activity was very limited.

the GS performed so poorly relative to the competition that marketing wouldn't have made a difference in sales. it's good at nothing. only cheaper

Quick Reply: When will next gen IS and GS be out?