Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When will next gen IS and GS be out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 09:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the GS performed so poorly relative to the competition that marketing wouldn't have made a difference in sales. it's good at nothing. only cheaper
Do u make up this stuff?

Old 06-12-09, 09:15 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do u make up this stuff?
Does that really surprise you? People make stuff up about Lexus all the time in here...
Old 06-13-09, 01:12 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006-Cost cutting or a one of the worst idea ever! Just look where the ODO RESET button is.

2009 redesigned control panel. ODO RESET is placed a little better.

What is with the Star Trek looking curved wood door panels.

One thing Lexus did get right with the GS is they made all the buttons/switches on the doors and dash black. Lexus also matched the seat control switch with the seat color.

Last edited by pagemaster; 06-13-09 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-13-09, 07:15 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Something tells me Lexus will ditch the GS
as much as a sales flop the 3GS was, lexus won't ditch it.
something tells me their next one will be much more competitve.
Old 06-13-09, 08:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster

2006-Cost cutting or a one of the worst idea ever! Just look where the ODO RESET button is.

2009 redesigned control panel. ODO RESET is placed a little better.

What is with the Star Trek looking curved wood door panels.

One thing Lexus did get right with the GS is they made all the buttons/switches on the doors and dash black. Lexus also matched the seat control switch with the seat color.

All opinions. Again the EXPERTS love the GS interior, it is its stronger suit. In the Euro mags they literally RAVE about the GS interior.
I love the drop down box, its never caused me trouble and it keeps the dash uncluttered. I love the "Star Trek" curved wood, much different than the regular straight pieces everyone else has.

Originally Posted by shyguy16
as much as a sales flop the 3GS was, lexus won't ditch it.
something tells me their next one will be much more competitve.
Except it didn't flop its first couple years and AGAIN is 3rd best selling in class the last 4 years or so.

Its ridiculous repeating the same things over and over
1. The GS doesn't have the same high sales goals of the 5 or E class.
2. The GS doens't have a "Value leader" in the old 525/530. That model accounts for 1500+ sales EVERY month. It shows a lot of people want the size/badge but don't NEED/WANT the power (the dumbass magazines rave about constantly).
3. The GS doesn't have a wagon, no "F" model and less variants.
4. NEVER relied on lease deals like Infiniti or BMW to sell vehicles. LExus GS leases cannot come close to them. Inifniit for example has had $399 a month on the M35 for years now. We all know BMWs practices of lease deals and class leading incentives.
5. Lexus invested heavily in the 450h, a limited production model never intended to sell in anything but small quantities. Its still the only RWD/hybrid sport luxury sedan around. No one raves about it b/c the magazines didn't gush over it. Funny how Lexus gets talked about on the internet for always "Following" and here they are leading and people don't even bring it up.

I am by no way saying the GS is a home run, we have all acknowledged it is not. However some of the statements paint a different picture from all the facts (I have posted over and over and over again).

Old 06-13-09, 09:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike, as usually you bring good point, and they are all absolutely valid. But the problem with 3GS is not so much that it flopped compared to the competition - in fact I think its pretty competitive compared to the current 5 series and the outgoing E class. In fact, if I was to spend my money on either of these three vehicles, I'd get the GS without even thinking. The outgoing E class is way too boring, and there are six of them on every block, and the 5 is just cheap looking and feeling. Now these are my opnions, and of course they are debatable, but lets not debate them, we've debated it a million times.

The real problem with the 3GS is that it didn't go well with existing GS followers. You have people who buy E and 5 series generation after generation, and Lexus should've been trying to establish the same for its GS, but they failed miserably. As an owner of 1st and 2nd gen GS I think I have the right to call myself a GS follower, but the 3GS is not on my consideration list. In my view, its inferior to the 2GS in every way. Cheapened interiors (my biggest gripe), boring exterior, handling not improved from 2GS at all, the initial engine choice was poor and current engine choice isn't that much better over the old 430. Throw in the build quality complains, and the 3GS is a miserable disappointment.

And its only going to get worse for it, if they are trying to keep this same model until 2011 or 2012. The new E class simply blows everything out of water and you can be sure BMW wont be sleeping on the 5 series either. And the new A6 is due out soon, and I'm sure its gonna be amazing as well. Its gonna be a war in this class, and the GS will just get forgotten. Its sales are laughable already, I could see them selling two or three in 2011.

All opinions. Again the EXPERTS love the GS interior, it is its stronger suit. In the Euro mags they literally RAVE about the GS interior.
I love the drop down box, its never caused me trouble and it keeps the dash uncluttered. I love the "Star Trek" curved wood, much different than the regular straight pieces everyone else has.

Except it didn't flop its first couple years and AGAIN is 3rd best selling in class the last 4 years or so.

Its ridiculous repeating the same things over and over
1. The GS doesn't have the same high sales goals of the 5 or E class.
2. The GS doens't have a "Value leader" in the old 525/530. That model accounts for 1500+ sales EVERY month. It shows a lot of people want the size/badge but don't NEED/WANT the power (the dumbass magazines rave about constantly).
3. The GS doesn't have a wagon, no "F" model and less variants.
4. NEVER relied on lease deals like Infiniti or BMW to sell vehicles. LExus GS leases cannot come close to them. Inifniit for example has had $399 a month on the M35 for years now. We all know BMWs practices of lease deals and class leading incentives.
5. Lexus invested heavily in the 450h, a limited production model never intended to sell in anything but small quantities. Its still the only RWD/hybrid sport luxury sedan around. No one raves about it b/c the magazines didn't gush over it. Funny how Lexus gets talked about on the internet for always "Following" and here they are leading and people don't even bring it up.

I am by no way saying the GS is a home run, we have all acknowledged it is not. However some of the statements paint a different picture from all the facts (I have posted over and over and over again).
Old 06-13-09, 10:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, as usually you bring good point, and they are all absolutely valid. But the problem with 3GS is not so much that it flopped compared to the competition - in fact I think its pretty competitive compared to the current 5 series and the outgoing E class. In fact, if I was to spend my money on either of these three vehicles, I'd get the GS without even thinking. The outgoing E class is way too boring, and there are six of them on every block, and the 5 is just cheap looking and feeling. Now these are my opnions, and of course they are debatable, but lets not debate them, we've debated it a million times.

The real problem with the 3GS is that it didn't go well with existing GS followers. You have people who buy E and 5 series generation after generation, and Lexus should've been trying to establish the same for its GS, but they failed miserably. As an owner of 1st and 2nd gen GS I think I have the right to call myself a GS follower, but the 3GS is not on my consideration list. In my view, its inferior to the 2GS in every way. Cheapened interiors (my biggest gripe), boring exterior, handling not improved from 2GS at all, the initial engine choice was poor and current engine choice isn't that much better over the old 430. Throw in the build quality complains, and the 3GS is a miserable disappointment.

And its only going to get worse for it, if they are trying to keep this same model until 2011 or 2012. The new E class simply blows everything out of water and you can be sure BMW wont be sleeping on the 5 series either. And the new A6 is due out soon, and I'm sure its gonna be amazing as well. Its gonna be a war in this class, and the GS will just get forgotten. Its sales are laughable already, I could see them selling two or three in 2011.
Good post Och. Its funny my 3GS is maybe the first Lexus purchase I haven't been totally head over heels about. Its the first Lexus I bought based on other merits besides exterior/interior quality/looks/ergonomics. I was well aware of short comings and that it is not an internet love child The IS-F is the same way, I am not 100% in love with it but I would buy it.

I personally don't know will what happened with me with the 2GS will ever happen again with me and Lexus. At the time there was NOTHING like it and it was just arguably best in class at everything except high speed handling. There was competition, I was younger, the ad campaign was solid and car mags didn't have their heads up their asses like they do today. I remember my first time seeing one on the road, I remember my first time driving it and thinking "OMG" this is way faster than my SC 400.

I wonder sometimes if the 2GS debuted today with the way car mags write today, would it have been as well received by the public?

Its funny I might drive one of the most "hated" cars on the internet. Its a hybrid (people hate that), its a Lexus (people hate that), it doesn't handle like a 911 (thats just dumb).

Old 06-13-09, 10:21 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good post Och. Its funny my 3GS is maybe the first Lexus purchase I haven't been totally head over heels about. Its the first Lexus I bought based on other merits besides exterior/interior quality/looks/ergonomics. I was well aware of short comings and that it is not an internet love child The IS-F is the same way, I am not 100% in love with it but I would buy it.
Its funny, I'm not crazy about the 3GS, but I would've probably still bought it, but my wife doesn't even want to hear it.

She's been a Lexus owner even before we met. She had two LS400's and ES250 before we met and shes the one who introduced me to the brand.

As far as the IS-F, despite all the internet hate on it, I think its awesome. The only thing its lacking is a 2 door version.

Its funny I might drive one of the most "hated" cars on the internet. Its a hybrid (people hate that), its a Lexus (people hate that), it doesn't handle like a 911 (thats just dumb).
I actually like the 450h best compared to 350/460. But they should've equipped it with active suspension like the 460.
Old 06-13-09, 11:02 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the GS is a great looking car, interior might be a bit bland but its not a deal breaker. Problem with the GS is that the E class is just much more rounded as a vehicle, and owns the luxury segment while the 5 series owns the sport. the GS kinda flounders in the middle
Old 06-13-09, 11:20 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Problem with the GS is that the E class is just much more rounded as a vehicle, and owns the luxury segment while the 5 series owns the sport. the GS kinda flounders in the middle
I think you hit the nail on the head, the 2GS was a great value and had pack-leading performance to show for, Lexus lost that edge with the 3GS. Like I always said, the 3GS does everything well but nothing spectacular. Even though I personally think 3GS has the best interior in its class in terms of both material and design but anyone can pretty much make that case with any cars in the midsize sedan class these days...
Old 06-13-09, 01:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Does that really surprise you? People make stuff up about Lexus all the time in here...
That's what most of this thread and CHIT CHAT is about.
Old 06-13-09, 02:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do u make up this stuff?
not really. it's based on my everyday experience with this car.

I think the GS is a great looking car, interior might be a bit bland but its not a deal breaker. Problem with the GS is that the E class is just much more rounded as a vehicle, and owns the luxury segment while the 5 series owns the sport. the GS kinda flounders in the middle
^^^ that's exactly what I was pulling out of my ***.

in drag racing, the GS can keep up.
If you try to stuff in a few dead bodies, you'll run short.

bmw has the 528 volume seller. But for the same price, consumers can buy a GS350 with real leather and similar options.

forget about factory goals for a minute.
Why do people buy the $45000 bmw instead of the more powerful $45000 lexus?

Or does bmw always have good lease deals year after year ?

Last edited by dunnojack; 06-13-09 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-13-09, 02:27 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Or does bmw always have good lease deals year after year ?
Yes.

BMW actually watered down its lease deals in the last year or so...
Old 06-13-09, 02:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
Yes.

BMW actually watered down its lease deals in the last year or so...

what about in 2007, when the 528 was still kicking the gs350's ***?
Old 06-13-09, 02:57 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

what about in 2007, when the 528 was still kicking the gs350's ***?
Between 2005 to 2007 BMW lease deal was at full speed, it only slowed down during the first sign of our current economy crisis which is around early 2008.

Back then people can get into a 328i with $299/month and a 525i/528i for something like around $400/month. As matter of fact, one can get into a 528i for $489/month RIGHT NOW.

Here's the link: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...aseoffers.aspx

Lexus never lowered itself to BMW's level with that kind of crazy lease deal...

Quick Reply: When will next gen IS and GS be out?