Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Mazda3

By CL member request, a Review of the 2010 Mazda3

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...modelYear=2010

In a Nutshell: A nice-driving small car....but Mazda enthusiasts may prefer the upmarket versions.

(Grand Touring gauges shown)

I recently received a CL member request for a 2010 Mazda3 review, and, since other CL requests are still on hold due to lack of availability, decided to do the Madza3 review today. And today, overall, was a pretty nice review experience. A pretty much brand-new Mazda dealership (a westward-expanding branch of an existing Mazda shop) just opened up within fairly easy driving distance of my house, with state-of-the-art facilties, plenty of parking (parking can be a real problem at some dealerships), and some nice uncrowded roads in the vicinity for test-driving (that can also be a problem at some shops). So.....it was into my Outback and out to check out the new Mazda3; and plenty were available, on hand, except for the new 2010 MazdaSpeed3 version which has not been released yet.

Though I don't particularly like the way some of the newer ones have been styled, I've always had a soft spot for small Mazda sedans/hatchbacks. Back in the 80s and early 90s, I owned three of them, and generally liked all three. With some minor exceptions, each one was progressively more reliable than the one preceeding it......and even the first one, at that, was FAR more reliable than the competing American-nameplate cars of the time (early-mid 80s). My brother had a 1990 Mazda 323 hatchback, liked it, and had reasonably good luck with it. Back then, Mazda used the term "Kansei Enginering", and was known as the "Poor Man's BMW", not without reason. Even today, many in the auto press compare Mazda products favorably with BMWs in the roadability department. With some exceptions, they have generally had Japanese-car reliability, though the newer CX-7 and CX-9 people-movers have been not been as up to snuff in the reliability department as other Mazdas, especially the ones that have mostly Mazda engineering without a lot of Ford interference (Ford, of course, has owned the company for decades).

In the American market, the small Mazda sedan/hatchback series has gone from the original RX-2/RX-3 rotary-engine sedans of the early 1970's to the GLC (one of my favorites) to the 323 to the Protege to, finally, the Mazda3. The small Mazda sedans/hatchbacks have also, at times, shared platforms with smaller vehicles from Ford, Mercury, Kia, and Volvo. For 2010, the Mazda3 series has been given a major redesign both inside and out.....the big, silly, circus-clown smiling grille is probably its most noticeable trademark, like with the newer Miatas. Mazda uses a quite complex system of classifying the trim/option/package levels of the new Mazda3 (consult the brochure/website for details....I can't list it all here in one paragraph), but, in general, the series comes in Mazda3i 4-door, 3s 4 and 5-door, SV, Touring, Sport, and Grand Touring versions. Two engines are offered....a 2.0L 148 HP four and a 2.5L 167 HP four. Three transmissions are offered...5 and 6-speed manuals, and a 5-speed Sport-Shift automatic (which, like BMWs, has a manual +/- shift gate motion opposite of most cars).

The CL review request did not specify a specific trim model, so, since I have already had some experience with upmarket and MazdaSpeed3 models, I chose a lower-priced, lower-line Touring version for the review. I knew that it lacked some of the interior, engine, and chassis features that the more high-zoot models did, but the price was significantly lower (18K) than the 24-25K that top-line, non-turbo models were going for. Many buyers today, with the recession, don't have a lot of money to spend, and the 17-18K price looked pretty attractive. It had a manual transmission, which is generally not good for dense-traffic areas, but it proved to be an excellent clutch-transmission combination.....more on that below. It turned out, overall, to be a pretty nice small car, but the money that you save on purchase by going with the cheaper models does give you a distinctly less-pleasant interior and, for those who like sharp handling, a less-responsive chassis. For details, read on.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Mazda3 4-door Touring

Base Price: $17,500

Options: None

Destination/Freight: $670

List Price as Reviewed: $18,170

Drivetrain: FWD, transverse-mounted, 2.0L VTEC in-line 4, 148 HP @ 6500 RPM, Torque 135 ft-lbs. @ 4500 RPM, 5-speed manual transmission.

EPA Mileage Rating: 25 City, 33 Highway

Exterior Color: Gunmetal Blue Mica

Interior: Black Cloth

PLUSSES:

Warranty finally updated to 5/60 Drivetrain and 3/36 Bumper-to-Bumper.

Good handling/steering response (but not as sharp as upmarket versions)

Minimal body roll, even with base suspension.

Extremely short turning radius.

Reasonably comfortable ride for a small car.

Excellent brakes.

Superb clutch.

Slick, smooth shift linkage when warm.

Nice paint job and paint colors.

Nice exterior chrome.

Generally good sheet metal and solid-closing doors.

Generally good underhood layout.

Superb, form-fitting front seats.

Nice cloth seat upholstery.

Well-done steering wheel.

Good front/rear headroom without the sunroof.

Good stereo sound quality if bass enhancement is used.

Clear, easy-to-read primary gauges.

Simple, slick-operating, easy-to-use *****/buttons/controls.

MP3/Bluetooth/Hands-off features standard on Touring version.

Manual Tilt/Telescope steering unusual in cars of this price.

Nicely padded door armrests.

Effective air conditioning.

Generally good interior hardware.

Nice silver dash/steering wheel trim.

Pull-down center rear armrest.

Generally good vision out the rear in the sedan version.

Fairly well-finished cargo area considering the low price.

Well-designed trunk-lid hinges.

MINUSES:

Complex trim-level and option marketing.

Base 2.0L 4-cylinder adequate, but not a powerhouse.

Shift linkage a little stiff and imprecise when cold.

Touring-level suspension/tires not as sharp-handling as upmarket models.

Tire-noise level OK on smooth roads, but high on coarse road surfaces.

Large, outlandish, circus-clown grille in some versions.

Cheap-looking, flat-black exterior window trim.

Thick but brittle-feeling plastic side window mirror housings.

No side-body mouldings for door dings.

So-so exterior hardware quality, except for chrome grill-split.

Small trunk-lid opening.

Hood prop-rod instead of struts.

No underhood insulation pad.

Annoying engine and battery covers.

Tight rear-seat foot/legroom with front seat adjusted back.

Hard-material, cheap sun visors.

Annoying two-step ignition-key withdrawal.

Stereo readout far above the buttons (in non-NAV version).

Cheap, unimpressive door-panel trim in Touring version, except for nice elbow-rests.

Touring version gauges nice, but lack the nice, multi-color markings of upmarket models.

Annnoying ziz-zag shift-lever pattern on automatic cars.

Temporary/Donut spare tire.

MazdaSpeed3 version not yet available (but is coming).

EXTERIOR:

As you first walk up to the new Mazda3, at first glance, the redesign is obvious, particularly in the front end/grille, but it is still easily recognizable as a Mazda3. The most noticeable new feature, far and away, is the BIG, clown-face, smiling grille that dominates the entire front end. In the upmarket versions, the upper-middle part of it is blacked out so that it looks like a big, toothless clown, but in the lower-line versions such as my Touring model, there is a nice, well-done chrome strip that lessens the clown-face effect a little. A big Mazda logo and large, trapezoid-shaped headlights and fog-light cutouts (if equipped) finish off the rather garish front end. The general sheet metal quality is pretty good, with solid-closing doors, and the paint job is pretty good for a car in this class.....close to that of the top-in-class Corolla's. Mazda offers some really nice paint colors on the Mazda3......you don't have to look like you are driving to Clancy's Funeral Home. My car was a nice Gunmetal bluish-gray, and some of my other favorites were the Velocity Red Mica, Copper Red Mica, a beautiful, stunning, intense, light-to-medium blue (Celestial Blue Mica), and another one of my favorites, Crystal White Pearl Mica, which is an option. Not all of the colors, unfortunately, are available on all of the Mazda3 models.

The exterior hardware is generally pretty well-done, though the large, thick-plastic side mirror housings have a cheap, brittle feel to them. Upmarket models have integrated turn-signals in the mirrors. The exterior trim is also generally well-done, except for the cheap-looking, flat-black trim around the windows. A noticeable omission on all Mazda3 models is the lack of a side-body trim strip/moulding to ward off parking-lot dings...a quick trip to Pep Boys or other auto-parts store is in order for a nice, quickly-installed, aftermarket moulding. They're generally easy to do...I've done several of them myself.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the generally solid hood, and underneath, there is nothing but bare painted metal (no insulation pad), and a prop-rod instead of hood struts. However, given the car's low price, it's not a major complaint, though Subaru gives you struts on the new Impreza for about the same price. Underhood, it is generally a good layout, with the 2.0L and 2.5L fours fitting in pretty well. There is a little space in front of and on the sides of the engine block for component access, and a big, rather empty space behind the engine designed for safety purposes so the whole engine/transmission assembly can move back, down, and under in a major front-end impact. The big plastic cover, though, on the engine, blocking top-engine access, is annoying, as is the smaller battery cover back and on the left. All dipsticks, reservoirs, and filler caps, however, are relatively easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

I had mixed feelings about the interior, especially after looking at some of the upmarket versions. From a drivers' point of view, however, it was hard to fault, even in the base version. Without a sunroof, there is plenty of headroom even in the back seat, though foot and legroom is tight in back with the front seat pulled back. The front seats in my test car were a nice grade of soft but durable-feeling black cloth (beige is also available, and leather on upmarket versions) and the seats were superbly shaped to cradle your back and butt....even for a big guy like me. The typical 3-spoke Mazda steering wheel was well-designed, shaped, trimmed, and had well-done controls on it that were not easy to hit accidentally. The steering column had manual controls for both tilt and telescope, unusual in a car of this price range. MP3, Bluetooth, and hands-off phone features are standard even on this low-priced version, The twin-circular primary gauges are clear, well-designed, and easy to read, though they lack the nice red and blue lighting on the upmarket versions. The buttons/controls, in this non-NAV version, were clear, well-done, and easy to use, though the manual climate-control ***** in the lower-line versions were much cheaper-feeling and less-slick operating than the super-smooth, solid rotary ***** in the automatic-climate-control vehicles. The air-conditioning, though, was quite powerful, and cooled down the interior pretty quickly on this typically Washington-area warm, humid summer day. The stereo on my test car had good sound quality if you turned the bass level up; otherwise it was a little flat-sounding (KISS's Gene Simmons did the musical honors today with "Calling Dr. Love" and "Christine Sixteen", two of my old KISS favorites). Upmarket versions get a more powerful Bose stereo system. The stereo readout in the non-NAV version was in a separate LCD display far above the controls.....I generally like them as close together as possible. Most of the interior hardware was solid and well-done, and the manual controls for the front seats had the popular, Volkswagen-style pump-levers for seat/cushion height. The silver trim on the dash was well-done and didn't look cheap. A nice pull-down center arm rest for rear pasengers is standard.

Other things, inside, though, were disappointing. The sun visors, an increasingly cost-cutting area for auto manufacturers, had nice vanity lights in them, but felt like they were made out of unpleasantly hard plastic. The mostly hard-plastic door trim in the lower-line Touring version was distinctly cheaper-looking/feeling than in the upmarket versions, but the elbow-rests were well-padded and nicely done. No Mazda3 versions seem to offer any wood-tone trim; only silver-metallic. And, on automatic-equipped cars, the shift-lever has an annoying zig-zag gate for the non-Sport-shift function.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The cargo area is pretty well-done, though, on 4-door sedan models, the roofline cuts sharply into the available space for the trunk lid, making for a rather small opening....this is pretty common on today's sedans. Nicely-designed, scissors-type trunk hinges, however, allow the small lid to go up to and past vertical, making loading easier. There is a pretty fair amount of trunk space for a small car this size, and the trunk area is not super-plush but fairly well-trimmed for a car of this price, with a dark gray, soft-feeling, thick, semi-carpet layer over the trunk floor and hard-plastic side walls. The usual temporary, donut spare tire lies under the trunk floor, but, at this low price, is probably not a major complaint. The trunk lid shuts with a good, solid thunk. And, of course, for those who heed more cargo room and flexibility, there is the 5-door hatchback version, though the hatchback body style is not available in the lowest-price versions. The rear seats in both the sedan and hatchback fold down for added cargo room, but there are no remote levers in the back of the cargo area.....you have to use the ones built into the seatbacks.

ON THE ROAD:

In the lower-price versions, a conventional ignition key/switch on the steering column is used, but it has an annoying little button on it that must be pushed to release the key while you un-twist it, making key removal an annoying and unnecessary two-step operation. This kind of 2-step, El Cheapo ignition switch was once common, but has been pretty much phased out of the car industry. Upmarket Mazda3 versions get a nice, state-of-the-art engine START/STOP button. Fire up the 2.0L four, though, and it is noticeably quieter and smoother than previous Mazda fours from years ago, some of which were almost agricultural-grade in their noise and vibration. This four, wihout an underhood insulation pad, runs reasonably smooth and quiet, and, with the manual transmission and air-conditioning, has enough spunk for reasonable normal driving, but, with only 135 ft-lbs. of torque, it is not a powerhouse. Though I didn't test it that way, it would probably be rather sluggish with the automatic. Exhaust noise is low at idle and low RPM, rises noticeably as you accelerate, but is not loud or obtrusive, say, like a Corvette. Upmarket models, of course, offer more power, both in turbo and non-turbo forms.

The clutch and 5-speed manual transmission was one of the car's best points. The clutch is superb; one of the best I've driven. It is so smooth that you literally cannot feel it engage if you let it out slowly....the only signs are that the car starts moving forward slowly. If you let it out a little faster, you'll take off faster.....but still it is hard to actually feel its engagement point if you don't just slam it out. The shift linkage in the transmission is a little stiff when cold, but smooths out nicely as it warms. When warm, except for a slightly longer lever-travel, it would, IMO, be as good as that of the Honda Civic's, arguably considered perhaps the best FWD shift linkage in the industry. I didn't miss a shift or skip a gear no matter where and How I used it. The automatic, though, has the aforementioned zig-zag shift pattern I find annoying, and, like other Mazdas and BMWs, in the manual-Sport shift gate, has the (+) and (-) functions for up/downshifting opposite from that of most cars. That means you have to be careful not to bump the lever the wrong way, because you could get quite a jolt and run the engine RPM way up downshifting when you meant to upshift. I am in favor of having a universal manual-shift pattern for Sport-Shift automatics for all cars by Federal law, just like back in the 1960s when the P-R-N-D-L sequence became the standard for all conventional full-automatics.

The chassis/tires is another area where there seems to be a noticeable difference between the lower-end and higher-line Mazda3's. Sport Package, Grand Touring, and (older) MazdaSpeed models are quite stiff-riding and sharp-handling. The Touring-spec car I drove seemed to have somewhat better ride comfort and slower steering response, though even so, there was a noticeable lack of body roll. Road noise was low at low speeds and on smoother roads, but rose sharply on coarse road surfaces and concrete. Wind noise was generally well-controlled at all times. Brakes were excellent for a lower-price FWD compact (another area where Mazdas are considered a Poor Man's BMW), with almost no sponginess, quick, effective response, smooth feel, and a generally well-placed pedal that did not interfere much with my big size 15 clown-shoes (in some ways, those shoes matched the clown-grille up front) going from the gas pedal to the brake.

THE VERDICT:

While the Touring and other low-line versions are OK for those who don't need ultra-sharp handling, can do without some interior features/plushness, like a somewhat smoother ride, or, for any reason, just want to keep the price down, I think that many drivers (and certainly most Mazda enthusiasts) would prefer the upmarket Hatchback, Sport Package, Grand Touring, or, when it becomes available, the 2010 MazdaSpeed version. The difference in interior quality, gauges, slick climate-control *****, engine power, handling/steering, and general roadability is noticeable. The lower-line and non-Sport versions are biased toward ride comfort, while the upmarket versions drive more like 4 and 5-door Miatas or RX-8s and fit Mazda's "Zoom-Zoom" marketing image better. But, for the money, the lower-line versions are nice small cars, and, even without the Sport Package, easily outhandle and outsteer the Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Elantra, which are even more comfort-oriented. The clutch, on manual-tansmission models, is one of the best I've encountered, and the shift linkage, especially when warm, is second perhaps only to that of the Honda Civic, which is acknowledged as one of the world's best FWD manual transmissions.

But, before you sign on the dotted line for one, do check out the higher-line Mazda3 versions. While each person's budget and needs, of course, are different, I think many potential buyers will think that the extra 4-6 thousand dollars (probably more than that for the upcoming MazdaSpeed3) will be worth it when they see the difference in interior, engine, and chassis.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-11-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 06:02 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, thanks once again for taking the time to review. I like how the Mazda 3 gives you plenty of choices when it comes to color, it makes the 3 standout from the Civic and Corolla.
Old 06-11-09, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rsantiago
Mike, thanks once again for taking the time to review.
Sure. Anytime.

I like how the Mazda 3 gives you plenty of choices when it comes to color, it makes the 3 standout from the Civic and Corolla.
The Mazda3 gives you a lot more choices than just paint colors. It has a very complex system of marketing, trim levels, and options.......with more to come when the new MazdaSpeed3 debuts later in the year.
Old 06-11-09, 11:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very thorough review, Mike.

I have seen the complex "levels" of the Mazda3. Do you think this is a wise decision for an entry-level compact car?

I mean, compared to the Corolla and Civic, the Mazda3 has a lot more engine and trim configuration combinations that can confuse consumers, as well as give the car a "false sense of value" when they begin prices near $16k but cars on the lot has $24k stickers.

Should Ford keep it more simple?
Old 06-12-09, 04:15 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another great review, Mike, thanks.
Old 06-12-09, 05:58 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice review Mike! Man I didn't know the low end 3 have bluetooth too, even my IS dont have the bluetooth
Old 06-12-09, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Thanks.

I have seen the complex "levels" of the Mazda3. Do you think this is a wise decision for an entry-level compact car?

I mean, compared to the Corolla and Civic, the Mazda3 has a lot more engine and trim configuration combinations that can confuse consumers, as well as give the car a "false sense of value" when they begin prices near $16k but cars on the lot has $24k stickers.

Interesting question. First of all, only the upmarket versions run 24K and up; the lower-line models like I drove list for much closer to the 16-17 base (mine was 18K). Of course, the upmarket versions do buy more equipment, a somewhat nicer interior, a little more power, and a more enthusiast-oriented chassis. As to the marketing purpose of the complexity of the engine/equipment/trim levels, I have not asked the Mazda people, but think (?) it has to do with the fact that even though the Mazda3 sells very well, it is not a hugely mass-marketed car like the Civic or Corolla, where, with some sport-oriented exceptions like the Civic Si, people come in and buy them like appliances for commuting or base transportation. That is often not the case with the Mazda3, which is thought highly of by the sporting crowd in the auto press. Mazda (probably) wants to give potential Mazda3 buyers a wider choice of equipment and options, so there will be a few more mundane models (like the one I tested) for those who, like Corolla buyers, want mostly just commuting or base transportation, while preserving a number of different higher-performance and more sophisticated models for those who are more enthusiast-oriented and make up a significant portion of Mazda buyers. Two things along this line are significant. First, the hatchback models are generally more expensive than the sedans, contrary to many vehicle lines......some, of course, don't offer hatchbacks at all in the American market. Second, unlike the Civic, Insight, and Prius, Mazda has not introduced any hybrid models. Again, I did not ask about it, but this could (?) be a result of two factors. One, it may (?) be that Ford, as Mazda's owner, just doesn't have enough spare hybrid units to share with its partner....they are already going into Ford's Escape, Mariner, and Fusion models. Two, it may (?) be that Mazda's marketers figure that most Mazda buyers are not looking for maximim fuel mileage but for the "Zoom-Zoom" company image, so why waste money and resources offering a eco-friendly product that would appeal to only the tiny percentage of the potential Mazda buyers who would be willing to pay extra for the hybrid powertrain? The base Mazda3 four-cylinder and 5-speed manual combination that I drove gets pretty decent gas mileage as it is, and doesn't cost as much as that most hybrids do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-09 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-12-09, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
Nice review Mike!
Thanks.

Man I didn't know the low end 3 have bluetooth too, even my IS dont have the bluetooth
Probably because of the appeal of the Mazda3 to a lot of younger people. Older guys like me (with some exceptions, of course) generally don't get into a lot of high-tech features. When I listen to music on the stereo, for instance, it is usually either directly from the station or with CDs.......even cassette tapes, on cars that still have tape players

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-09 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-12-09, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Another great review, Mike, thanks.
Thanks.

It was a nice experience, too, at a new Mazda dealership in a BIG auto-dealer park, with plenty of parking and plenty of cars available, and some nice uncrowded roads around it for test-driving.
Old 06-12-09, 07:42 AM
LexFather

Mike do you think its best in class? Arguably the last 3 was. I just hate the new front end styling, completely ruins it for me. Says "I think I'm a Peugeot"

Old 06-12-09, 08:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

I agree...keep the option levels to a minimum.

great review MM

note that the shift linkage on a new car will ALWAYS loosen up upon break-in.

also -- I can't stnd the front grill -- looks horrible IMO
Old 06-12-09, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

great review MM
Thanks.

note that the shift linkage on a new car will ALWAYS loosen up upon break-in.
True, but on some cars, such as this one, you notice even more of a change in the few minutes it takes for the transmission fluid to warm up.

also -- I can't stnd the front grill -- looks horrible IMO
Yes. I don't know what is with some of today's automakers that they think they have to bring attention to their products with outlandish front grilles. Audi, Acura, the Chrysler 300, and (some) Mazdas have become perhaps the best examples.
Old 06-12-09, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike do you think its best in class? Arguably the last 3 was. I just hate the new front end styling, completely ruins it for me. Says "I think I'm a Peugeot"
I'm with you on the grille....see my response to bagwell above.

As to the best in class issue, I guess it depends on what you mean by "best".
Among non-hybrid, lower-price compacts, the Corolla and Civic are the generally the two most reliable, the Corolla and Elantra are the best-riding, the Elantra has IMO the best interior quality and value for the dollar, the Civic has probably the most precise, Swiss-Watch-like construction, the Impreza is the best for foul weather, the Evo and STi have the most power and some of the best handling, and the Cobalt SS is probably the best Bang-for the Buck as a cheap pocket-rocket. The VW 2.0L/DSG combination is (maybe?) the best-in-class overall compact powertrain.

I'd rate the Mazda3, especially the high-zoot versions, "Best in Class" in its ability to combine a semi-BMW-like driving feel, reasonably low price, and fairly good reliability in a FWD compact package that that is less expensive than anything BMW currently sells in the American market. But still, it is not a BMW....you can still tell the diffrence. To get that sharp handling, the high-zoot Mazda3's, including the Sport, Grand Touring models and MazdaSpeed3, have a stiff ride. These is still, IMO, nobody else that, in regular street sedans and coupes, can combine ride, handling, and steering feel like BMW, though some Audi/ Mercedes models and (especially) the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track come close. But those cars, of course, cost more than most Mazda products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-09 at 10:00 AM.